Sally

Guest crickets

Some of you may know I adopted Sally the 11.5 yrs old Skye Terrier last week. Sallys owner had passed away and she found herself in a shelter where she had spent at least the last 3 months. Sally flew over from Sydney last Friday. She is a lovely old thing but I have major reservations about how much I should let myself fall in love with her & how much I should let her put up with, and whether there are any ethical & humane alternatives.

Sally is old. She is a big heavy Skye, not fat, just solid and at the top end of size for breed and weighs about 16 kgs. Sally has poor mobility. Her left front leg is turned out and her pastern is very weak. She knuckles over virtually every step on it and whacks her chin on the ground. You can see her frustration. Her hind end is also quite wonky and she really does struggle to get about much of the time. Sally has poor vision. Sally has at least 6 lumps ranging from small to quite large on her undercarriage from her chest to her groin. Sally has a few manky teeth. Sally licks her feet incessantly. Sally swings from extreme resting to restlessness. Sally displays signs of dementia.

Now I could put her under and get her teeth cleaned and have the lumps dealt with. I could investigate arthritis management.I could look at diagnosing and medicating dementia.

Problem is Sally is very aggressive and stressed for examinations. Just one visit to the vet is harrowing, so should I expect her to endure many? I could medicate several of her conditions, but to what end. To have her suffer side effects while adjusting doses of multiple drugs. Beside medicating wont fix her very wonky weak front leg and it won't fix her eyesight.

She has another vet appt booked for Saturday and I am genuinely upset as to the possible outcome. I do already love Sally and don't for one second regret adopting her. I was always realistic to the potential issues adopting such a senior dog. I believe she should be set free. I just don't know how long to string her along, and in what manner regarding health support. I have never believed in heavy medical intervention on a senior pet, but with Sally I am torn.

I don't know. Sorry to just ramble on. I feel like shit contemplating everything. I am strong enough to make the hard decisions if they need to be made and I will be with her to the very end whatever that may be and whenever that may be.

I feel like I need a bit of comfort & support but I have no doubt people will be angry at me too.

Thoughts......

The vet concurred with all the things I had observed about Sally and suggested more observation to see if anything was changing as she settled. She has another appt Saturday where I will report my observations and discuss options. There are several things and it's hard to sort out what to do. If she was more open to examination it would be easier but she is savagely aggressive over it and gets herself into quite a state. She bit me twice already trying to gently inspect things.

I just want to do the right thing by sally, that is all.

Dementia can take on a lot of those complaints you listed. aggression, licking incessantly,even self mutilation, restlessness and ability to get around, could you try for medication for dementia, I have had 4 dogs who have had dementia over the years and all presented in a different way, but one of them was like you have described (without the agression), he was put on vivitonin for the pacing and it did make him more settled, but over time he just couldn't stay upright, and we had to give him his wings. But have a talk to your vet and see what is best for Sally, you have done a good thing for her by getting her out of the pound and at least giving her a chance, if that chance is not meant to be for long, don't feel awful, at least you tried.

If you are not ready to let her go yet, why not try some vivitonin for her dementia, and some glucosamine and sashas blend for her joints. They are easy to mix into the food so no stress for her. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be the right decision for Sally. :)

Hollys Mum we don't have any vets in the district. Our closest 2 choices are 1/2 drive in either direction. The one I use does do house calls one day to our town every 2nd week and it's a week day arvo when i'm over an hour away running my business! It just won't work and i don't think it will make much difference. it's the up close & personal handling she resists not the environment she is in. I'd rather she thought of home as a safe haven without that sort of intrusion,

Thankyou Marion & Kirty for your excellent suggestions. I will discuss that with the vet.

Arcane, come join us in the Doggie Dementia thread.

Sally sounds a bit like Grumpy. He gets muzzled at the vet. The last time he had an anaesthesia was when he was 15 and he pulled through okay though he was very wobbly. He was sedated for an ultrasound a few months back and again was quite wobbly afterwards. I would get a geriatric assessment done, with a full blood panel to see where she's at. Her hindquarters sound like they're going, as Mr Grumps are (due to his Cushings Disease). Certainly, the Vivitonin has helped with his dementia and he's on Rimadyl and Trilostane. Westiemum also feeds her Mac, with whom Grumpy shares the dementia thread, the Hills B/D, which has helped. It did Grumpy some good also but due to the pancreatic aspect of Cushings he had to go back on a fish diet.

The other thing to suggest is ask the vet if there is a doggy physio near you. Grumpy sees one every month and he has become less wobbly since and has found it easier to get up. There are exercises you can do to strengthen the back end from the physio, too. I also have non-slip matting around the house, the sort that goes under hall runners. It's very easy to chuck in the washing machine and I use a cloth tape from Bunnings to hold it down.

Grumpy also has bad eyesight due to his age and I have cut the hair well away from his face and I have sensor lights in strategic spots around the house for him if he gets up at night.

I think you have done an amazing thing to take Sally on and whatever you decide, you have my support.

If she was my dog I would have pts by now. Too many things wrong with the poor old girl and the shelter should have made this decision, not rehomed her. I do not believe in letting dogs suffer through the confusion of dementia, especially if they have other health problems. For me it is all about quality of life, not how long that life is.

Hollys Mum we don't have any vets in the district. Our closest 2 choices are 1/2 drive in either direction. The one I use does do house calls one day to our town every 2nd week and it's a week day arvo when i'm over an hour away running my business! It just won't work and i don't think it will make much difference. it's the up close & personal handling she resists not the environment she is in. I'd rather she thought of home as a safe haven without that sort of intrusion,

Thankyou Marion & Kirty for your excellent suggestions. I will discuss that with the vet.

Seems like you considered a lot of different options for Sally, I hope whatever you decide to do, you will be at peace with it. Just knowing your love would have made the world of difference to her

(sorry I am trying to be supportive, I am not sure if it comes across that way)

If she was my dog I would have pts by now. Too many things wrong with the poor old girl and the shelter should have made this decision, not rehomed her. I do not believe in letting dogs suffer through the confusion of dementia, especially if they have other health problems. For me it is all about quality of life, not how long that life is.

Thanks, but my dog has excellent quality of life.

Thank you for your considerate post Sheridan. It's good to hear other peoples experiences with similar issues. I dont think dbc's post was directed to you personally. I admire your persistence & management with Grumpy.

Dancinbcs I rather agree with your opinion. I just want to consider the options before deciding what to do.

Every dog and their owner are unique individuals and we all make different choices have different outcomes.

Edited by Arcane

Get the vet to do the dental, they will put her on a drip which will help expel the anaesthetic afterwards, You may find that this will clear up her foot licking as the bugs/yeast infection she will have in her mouth now have transferred themselves to her feet so it is a continuous round of re-infection.

She may be cranky as her mouth hurts all the time.

The oldies can cope with a GA and the vets do know their stuff and are aware of any complications that may occur.

regarding the dementia...supplement her food with a tea made from Herb Robert, I can dry some for you and post you a packet if you like...no probs.

Penny is 14 and her latest problem is getting up from her bed, she is a little creaky and may well have to be put on an arthritis treatment.

I think she should, at least, be given a go at treating these problems. I know it is depressing to see the dog in pain and unhappy but you can do stuff to make her feel much better and happy within herself.

muzzling at the vets is no biggie, she will get over it, (especially if you take a pocketfull of liver chips to keep stuffing into her mouth when she is being good, most times it does distract them from the fear.)

A muzzle and being fearful at the vets is better than than going to doggie-heaven.

1354217384[/url]' post='6036824']

Thank you for your considerate post Sheridan. It's good to hear other peoples experiences with similar issues. I dont think dbc's post was directed to you personally. I admire your persistence & management with Grumpy.

Dancinbcs I rather agree with your opinion. I just want to consider the options before deciding what to do.

Every dog and their owner are unique individuals and we all make different choices have different outcomes.

No, perhaps not, but I'll say that dementia is not a death sentence. There are medications, food and various supplements that lessen the effects, hence my suggestion to come into the dementia thread. Being grumpy at the vets is not a death sentence because vets are used to grumpy dogs. Is her aggression caused by her medical problems? I can't comment on Sally's various lumps and bumps but I would get these checked out. Grumpy has various fatty lipomas and sebaceous cysts and they have no impact on him. They may have on her. Is her wobbly back end the cause or is she just a grump in general? I'll say that Grumpy is a grump in general and he's very independent.

I was immensely offended a little while ago when someone told me to put Grumpy to sleep because of his wobbly back end. So, the thing I won't do is tell you to put Sally to sleep because she's not my dog and I haven't the right.

Edited by Sheridan

poor old girl.

I hope whatever the decision it takes away your worry.

:hug:

A muzzle and being fearful at the vets is better than than going to doggie-heaven.

For whom?

for the dog, persephone, sorry, I wasn't very clear when I wrote that...what I meant was that the short time that dog has to be muzzled (and being fearful) at the vets will be offset with a (maybe) good prognosis of the dog having a happy life, rather than having her euthanised before all the options for treatment are carried out.

(Anyway, I knew what I was talking about, it was unfortunate that no-one else did though :laugh: )

Guest Panzer Attack!

A dental is not a huge op, depending on the competence of your vet Sally will not be under for very long. We have put 16y/o dogs under for minor ops without a problem.

Talk to your vet about using Clomicalm too. It's helped Scooter no end :)

I feel for you Hun. Bambi had various health issues and I was asked quite regularly why I didn't "take her back and get a healthy one". You know where I am if you want to talk! Xx

I think the problem is ... how much is her current state caused by all these health issues for which there are medications available for. I've seen countless oldies have greatly improved quality of life simply by doing a dental! Manky teeth make them feel like crap and once they are scaled and any nasty teeth removed they feel better, their appetite improves, they are nicer dogs... it seriously makes a HUGE difference. In one visit they could do the dental + lump removals, take some blood, start her on long term arthritis medications/trial meds for dementia.

For me... I would like to say I tried the treatment option. But I wouldn't judge you for giving her her wings.. as long as some decision was made so she isn't suffering.

Do you have a thunder shirt or can you borrow one? Greatly helps calm my sometimes difficult old girl at the vet - we also use a muzzle if needed. I would go with what my vet advises but would definitely get the dental done - they will do a blood panel as she is old anyway. Then you will know what you are dealing with - good luck