Dogs Appetite On Hot Days

mantis

Does your dog/dogs, lose their appetite on hot days?

My Kenny ate a lot less on hot days & now my rescue dog Cougar is doing the same thing. She still eats her chicken frame in the morning & never knocks back a treaty, but she only eats the occasional dog biscuit & just eats a small part of her normal food for dinner.

I'm guessing they maybe like us humans, because on hot days I don't feel like eating much. Or am I & my doggies strange? :laugh:

they only like to eat cold meat on hot days or frozen bones. Dry food is rarely popular, unless you're a particular Jack Russell

I know the dried food is ignored & only gets eaten when they are desperate. They get/got cold food for dinner, but still only eat a small portion.

Mine are garbage gutses! I feed late in hot weather and try to take the dogs water training so it's rare they're not hungry. Otherwise frozen chicken frames are popular. Current pup is a poor eater at the best of times (too busy playing or sleeping and teething isn't helping). Normally I wouldn't worry - if they're not hungry so be it (and they often know what's best!), but pup is hard to keep condition on at the moment. Soaking his dry food is helping to get him interested.

Just fed Cougar half her normal meal, she ate it & then went straight to the couch with the fan blowing against her. She is obviously satisfied, or else she would have stood at her bowl, waiting for me to put more into it. She has a bowl of dried dog food, but she's not interested. OH well, it's not as if she is fading away to a shadow. :laugh:

My boy won't take training treats (and he's not keen on tugging either) when he's hot...given that his recall is something we're still working on, I haven't quite solved that issue yet. Even if I take him out once it's cooled off in the evening, he's not interested. He'll sometimes take a treat then spits it back out.

Zig only likes cold stuff at the best of times, so he gets frozen food when it is really hot.

He ate about half a chook carcass for breaky today and some half frozen roo steak for dinner.

I had a little black kong with kibble and cottage cheese in the freezer for after dinner, in case he didn't eat his dinner.

He still loved it but ate both dinner and his kong..

I like to freeze chicken stock with a chook neck or wing in it (just on a container that holds a couple of cups of watered down stock).

I give him these on hot days to as they help cool him down. Sometimes we put sardines in not there as well.

He has a clam shell pool which he is happy to go in. He puts his whole body and head under the water to cool off..

Smooch wont eat, its hard enough to get him to eat in cold weather, forget dog food, he won't touch that at all. About the only thing I have never seen him leave is his turkey necks. Getting him to drink is also a drama the latest is add 100 ml milk to 200 ml water and if I am lucky he will have that for breakfast, the last couple days I have been putting 5ml of water in his mouth hourly. Last summer I had him at home on a drip for 3 days due to dehydration.

I am relatively certain kodiak will keep eating when she is dead....nothing turns that little toller-seagull off her noms!!!!

Doof eats only because kodiak does, and he doesn't have the self confidence to not go with the crowd. When he was an only dog food held little interest for him at all, irrespective of weather or deliciousness.