Storm Phobica

smooch

I have found this thread very interesting to read, and I truly feel for those of you who have dogs who are terrified of storms and other scary noises such as fireworks etc. My previous dog, a Maltese x Shih Tzu, who we lost this last February was never frightened of storms, he didn't like lightning associated with night time electrical storms, but the worst he ever did was pant and want to sit close, but never any reaction similar to those reported here. A couple of months after we adopted him (from the Animal Welfare League - he was 9-12 months at the time) he was home alone, and outside, when a really violent storm hit - there was terrible damage to homes and flash flooding, but our place was fine. I was terrified I'd get home and find that he had hurt himself or has escaped in his attempt to get away from the storm. I rushed home, but not before the storm ended, to find him wet, but happily playing and glad to see me! Never was I so relieved - and storms and fireworks never bothered him and he would often just wander into the backyard to see where all the noise was coming from! This was quite the contrary to the dog that I had previously - a Briard - very large and absolutely terrified of storms and fireworks. He got stuck behind the toilet in our ensuite once trying to hide, poor boy. He was big and heavy and very strong.

Now we have Banjo, our 8 month old Maltese boy who is all of 4kg. He has yet to experience a storm or fireworks - although there have been fireworks, but only in the distance, and he was non reactive to them. Is there anything that I can do to make storm a "positive" thing for him, if there is such a thing, or at least not frightening. Hubby and I both work, and we are coming into our storm season, so I can't rush home every time there is a storm. He has 24/7 access indoors/outdoors via a doggy door, and will go to his soft sided crate in our bedroom if he is unsure of anything.

There has been some discussion about strong nerves and that being a breeding or genetic component. I have no idea how the parents of my boy were with storms, and after contacting my breeder several times after bringing Banjo home (at her request), with no response at all from her, I am not sure that she would be helpful in any event.

What exactly is Rescue Remedy? Is it worth my while having some at home "just in case". I have seen the Thunder Shirts at our local pet place .... again, would it be worth while getting one to have on hand?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RR is a herbal liquid that has a calming effect. Can be used for both humans & dogs. I have tried this on Stella but had no success while I know of others it has worked a treat for. It depends on the level of anxiety your dogs suffering IMHO. Certainly worth trying.

Thunder Shirts do help my girls level of anxiousness if put on well before she starts to get stressed. I really notice a marked difference when she has hers on. Again certainly worth a go :)

RR is a herbal liquid that has a calming effect. Can be used for both humans & dogs. I have tried this on Stella but had no success while I know of others it has worked a treat for. It depends on the level of anxiety your dogs suffering IMHO. Certainly worth trying.

Thunder Shirts do help my girls level of anxiousness if put on well before she starts to get stressed. I really notice a marked difference when she has hers on. Again certainly worth a go :)

Same with smooch, I am lucky I am home most of the time, I watch the weather forecast like a hawk now and act when the storm is about half a hour away. Several weeks ago we got a storm that wasn't forecast, it came through the night, I woke to the bed shaking before I heard the clap of thunder, Smooch was that bad I had to get him into bed, cover him up and hold him tight in a bear hug. I ended up with bruises on my arms from Smooch trying to get away. It was just too late to dress him.

As BC crazy suggests, thundershirts are best put on before anything starts, however I have used mine on a number of occasions for barking at the wind outside 'mid-problem' and my dog has settled and gone to sleep fairly quickly.

On a thunderstorm forecast day, if it's not too hot, ideally the dog could wear it all day.

All Natural Vet Care have a phobia/stress mixture which they claim works better than RR as the flower essences included in it are slightly different.