Oldies In Pounds Or Dumped

Missymoo

Just makes me sad...a FB post about a dumped dog who was very senior as persona dotted to live out his last year in comfort and love made me sad. I look over at our aging (11years) badly bred Maltese and I can't even imagine leaving her in a pound :(.

Sorry just a random sadness thought I wanted to share : :opost-3968-0-36864700-1354394942_thumb.jpg

Edited by Missymoo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect that many are dumped because they become troublesome in their old age, many start to forget themselves and toilet in the house or areas where they aren't "allowed". They can become deaf and nuisance yappers when they call for attention or become lost in their yards. They become costly as they age and the medical bills and dentals are bound to add up.

They lose their looks and some find old dogs unattractive and past their used by date.

How anyone could have left this to die in a pound is beyond me, but I suspect maybe the medical bills were adding up. I'd had her barely two months and she was gone, her little body was riddled with cancer. Shame on the a-hole that left her to die at DAS. I gave her some peace and love in her final days and she was such a delight it felt like she'd been here forever.

We have an aging rescue, who forgets himself and is generally a pain in the arse but he's not going anywhere. He'll die comfortably in his bed, somewhere in the house. I think he's got a few good years left in him.

post-4363-0-63118100-1354395375_thumb.jpg

My neighbours over the road have an extremely old ACD, they are elderly themselves and had asked ,e a couple of weeks ago what I thought about their dear girl and what they should do. She is almost blind, pretty deaf, shonky on her legs and just wobbles about, but is dearly loved. I had a look at her and sat down and watched her. She still has a wag in her tail and is not in pain, so they were relieved when I said, no it's not time yet for her..she will let you know :). She may be old and on her last legs but she's not going anywhere and it is nice to know that her owners will also do the right thing, even though it will break their hearts, but don't want to see her in pain either.

Aww Pav, she's a dear :)

Some are dumped by family members when the owner is placed in a nursing home, can't look after their pet anymore or has passed away. Very sad that they can not just take the pet in their selves or find a rescue to help. Another big reason many are dumped is the rising cost of their medications n special diets or that they are no longer child safe due to pain generally. The last reason I was told more than once unfortunately was that the dog needed PTS & they could not afford a vet.

It breaks my heart as my old girl sits at my feet as I can only imagine how terrified she would be dumped anywhere, she gets out of sorts if the routine is not right even,

Some are dumped by family members when the owner is placed in a nursing home, can't look after their pet anymore or has passed away.

Yes. It's not always the owner that is behind it. I also think that because there is a set against euthanasia in society, people don't really consider it as an option or don't feel capable of doing it.

For a lot of these oldies it would be less disruptive and kinder on them to call the vet and have them PTS at home.

Some are dumped by family members when the owner is placed in a nursing home, can't look after their pet anymore or has passed away.

Yes. It's not always the owner that is behind it. I also think that because there is a set against euthanasia in society, people don't really consider it as an option or don't feel capable of doing it.

For a lot of these oldies it would be less disruptive and kinder on them to call the vet and have them PTS at home.

Yes I have made plans for my older few to be PTS if something was to happen to me

Not just that but I've spoke to quite a few people that would rather pay the $50 surrender fee than a euth fee. :mad

Yes I have made plans for my older few to be PTS if something was to happen to me

Ditto. We would rather they were pts than subjected to goodness knows what.

It is so sad isn't it..

The oldies can become more work with forgetting themselves but they all the more precious to me because they need just that little bit more help.

My old Stafford started to go a bit senile toward the end. He would stand in the middle of the room and bark like he was lost or something. So we would go to him, get in front of him, so he could see us (as he was deaf from ageing) and we would take him back to the lounge room with us... We used to have a giggle about it but it must have been a bit distressing for the little old man...

He used to do the same thing on a walk in the park. Just stop and sort of glaze over, like he didn't know where he was.. So I would just get close to him and walk him on..

God I miss him..

Sometimes people can't do the pts bit They take them to the pound instead.

efs

Edited by nawnim

Sometimes people cam't do the pts bit They take them to the pound instead.

In all honesty I think that is the coward's route. If you have a dog you commit to it for its whole life, not until you're too scared to man up when things get bad and it's at its end. Taking an old family pet to the pound is such a gutless thing to do and if any of my friends did that I would find it hard to feel about them the same way, ever again.

In all honesty I think that is the coward's route. If you have a dog you commit to it for its whole life, not until you're too scared to man up when things get bad and it's at its end. Taking an old family pet to the pound is such a gutless thing to do and if any of my friends did that I would find it hard to feel about them the same way, ever again.

Is this addressed to me? :confused: I am responding to Eyeopener's post and the owner is not able (dead?) to care for her dogs anymore.

Is this addressed to me? :confused: I am responding to Eyeopener's post and the owner is not able (dead?) to care for her dogs anymore.

I was just saying it in general, not to you. :)

I adore my oldies and can't imagine dumping them when they need you the most. People just don't understand, my mother visited recently and said I should get one of them pts because he was so old and grey looking and his health wasn't as good as it used to be. She didn't greatly appreciate it when I said things aren't looking good for you then. No parallel for her, if you must have dogs they should at least be attractive and healthy

I adore my oldies and can't imagine dumping them when they need you the most. People just don't understand, my mother visited recently and said I should get one of them pts because he was so old and grey looking and his health wasn't as good as it used to be. She didn't greatly appreciate it when I said things aren't looking good for you then. No parallel for her, if you must have dogs they should at least be attractive and healthy

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

A few years ago an old bloke,died andthe family dumped his two elderly shelties in Albury pound. Albury rescue took them and I took one and another lady took the other. Wally was a pain in the arse LOL he barked constantly, was deaf as a post, had failing eyesight and a gimpy leg. But I will always be grateful that I took him and he got to spend his last year here. He was the loveliest old soul and I really loved him.

When I find the right dog I will take on another oldie that's been left in a pound. I'm not looking for one as such, but always have my eye out :) old dogs are wonderful!

Just makes me sad...a FB post about a dumped dog who was very senior as persona dotted to live out his last year in comfort and love made me sad. I look over at our aging (11years) badly bred Maltese and I can't even imagine leaving her in a pound :(.

Sorry just a random sadness thought I wanted to share : :opost-3968-0-36864700-1354394942_thumb.jpg

You have a kind heart Missymoo, the seniors get to me too. xx

Is this dog safe with rescue? Is there a link?

Oh, that's classic Cowanbree :laugh: . Actually spat a bit of my coffee out!