People's Prejudice Against Dogs

GSDowner

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OT but it's interesting that some dogs do and others don't smell. My Aussie smells so nice all the time but my Anatolian x gets a bit doggy smelling when he's due a bath.

We vaccum, always have the windows open and use oils and fragrant candles and the house doesn't smell doggy. If it ever does my Mum tells me because she knows I'm paranoid about it. Sometimes it can but you're so used to it you don't notice :laugh:

I don't really know what they have to complain about when you've offered them a place to stay at no cost. Motels etc. are not cheap over the holiday period so you're doing them a huge favour and saving them a lot of money... if anything they should be extremely grateful!

Guest Labradork

I'd tell them both to p*ss off!! How bloody rude! He can always stay in a hotel....

Me too! I was just going to say... How rude!

If they don't like it...hotels don't have dogs.

My mother despises any dogs over knee height and has little to no comprehension of how ownership is meant to work.

She wanted to visit for a few nights last year during Christmas. Her suggestion was to drop the dogs off at the pound when she got there, and then pick them up when she left.

Not for boarding.... for surrender.

Her theory was if they weren't adopted, they'd still be waiting after the week was over, and could come home after she'd left. Plus, we wouldn't have to pay full price for vet treatment, food or shelter, like we'd have to if they were at a boarding place.

And if they were adopted that week, then hey, we were already at the pound, we could just get a nice small puppy for our Christmas gift!

It had to be heard to be believed and needless to say she decided that it would be better to stay at home.

For her Christmas gift we made a $50 donation to the shelter in her name.

My dogs are often confined behind a baby gate or put outside when I have visitors. Even doggy people cause otherwsie they hog the furniture and the people have nowhere to sit.

As if that would ever happen! *cough*

post-10509-0-14763800-1354419283_thumb.jpeg

Gee what a good dog, Honey, my friends greyhound, wouldnt leave enough room for two people, even one is squished.

If we have rellies come over to stay who don't like my dogs being inside as part of the family - I've been known to put the people outside.... in the caravan!!!! :thumbsup: Some people think that's really wrong - but I totally can't see anything wrong with it!!

For short visits, I don't mind putting the dogs out, admittedly it does make it difficult for someone who's not used to them to move around the house with 4 large idiots who are excited about a person being there.

But if someone is at my house for more than an hour or two, unless they have a valid reason such as extreme fear, they can sod off. MY house, MY rules, and MY dogs sleep on MY couch. If they don't like it, they're more than welcome to go elsewhere.

We have family staying with us and in hotels while they are here for our wedding, and while I will be making a few adjustments for them if they raise any issues they will be getting told the name of hte nearest motel. OH's mumi s staying with us, and I think she will be fine as she has a dog inside at home, but I wills till make sure she can access the house without having to wade through the dogs. More for her safety as we have a half grown pup who is still learning about getting out of the way of humans, plus the other 2 outside dogs. The 2 little dogs inside wont be an issue, they will love having her there.

My parents, or more my dad will be the ones that have an issue with it. Last time he saw my toy poodle he mentioned how well she would go for crab pot bait. I think he got more of a reaction to that than he bargained for. He did end up playing with her by the time we left, so he did come around.

You should probably get more dogs, it takes a bit for some people to get the message.

Ha ha ha - love the thinking.

Christmas has this ability to 'force' families together and ignite all sorts of friction .

Ain't this the truth :(

wash and brush the dog, then suck it up and confine him to your bedroom or somewhere. It won't kill the dog to be confined and your bro and sil can then see you are happy to meet them part way. My dogs are often confined behind a baby gate or put outside when I have visitors. Even doggy people cause otherwsie they hog the furniture and the people have nowhere to sit.

These people aren't just visiting for a couple of hours; they plan on staying.

If they don't like it...hotels don't have dogs.

My mother despises any dogs over knee height and has little to no comprehension of how ownership is meant to work.

She wanted to visit for a few nights last year during Christmas. Her suggestion was to drop the dogs off at the pound when she got there, and then pick them up when she left.

Not for boarding.... for surrender.

Her theory was if they weren't adopted, they'd still be waiting after the week was over, and could come home after she'd left. Plus, we wouldn't have to pay full price for vet treatment, food or shelter, like we'd have to if they were at a boarding place.

And if they were adopted that week, then hey, we were already at the pound, we could just get a nice small puppy for our Christmas gift!

It had to be heard to be believed and needless to say she decided that it would be better to stay at home.

For her Christmas gift we made a $50 donation to the shelter in her name.

Your mother sounds a bit, umm, not quite there. Love your Christmas present to her.

GSDowner, I think you need to have a talk to your brother and suggest he and his wife make alternative accommodation arrangements. I am curious as to why he called the house "our house" as well. If indeed he does own part of it, there could be a problem. But seeing that you live there, I think he is being unnecessarily confrontational.

Maybe i'm a bit crazy but I love that dog smell. As much as I keep my house as clean as can be with two large dogs, my family always tell me that my house smells of dog. Unless i've been out of the house for a few hours, I don't notice any smell. When I do go out for a few hours and come back though, I can definitely smell that doggy smell and I like it.. it smells of.. home :)

I have to agree with the majority of the people that have replied here though. My house, my rules. If you don't like the doggy smell, then we can meet at an alternate venue. I'd say that the only exception would be someone that has severe allergies or fear of dogs, and then I might be flexible.. that being said though, if I knew someone with any problems like that, I would choose to meet them at a different venue rather than put my dogs out.

wash and brush the dog, then suck it up and confine him to your bedroom or somewhere. It won't kill the dog to be confined and your bro and sil can then see you are happy to meet them part way. My dogs are often confined behind a baby gate or put outside when I have visitors. Even doggy people cause otherwsie they hog the furniture and the people have nowhere to sit.

These people aren't just visiting for a couple of hours; they plan on staying.

I'm not stupid. I know that and it still won't kill the dog to be confined. My dogs would live very happily in my bedroom for days at a time.