4 Day Old Puppy Constipated

Fordogs

I have a 4 day old singleton GSD puppy, born 4 days ago by Caesarian, bottle fed on goat milk, Jalna Greek yoghurt & egg yolk is a little constipated.

I was thinking of giving her a couple of drops of either olive oil or paraffin oil any other suggestions please, I also have a Microlax enema here and I could give a micro amount if required.

She was removed from her mum after 36 hours and failing to thrive she is eager to suckle ( perhaps to eager )putting on weight, she is active and only crying if due for a feed so I don't think that she is uncomfortable in any way but I am concerned that she is only passing small amounts of rather firm poos and her stomach is quite distended.

This is my first singleton ever and it is quite a long time since I hand reared puppies.

Thanks for any advice.

Firstly try some brown sugar in warm water, this is a remedy used on human babies with good success.

Failing that, Infant Coloxyl drops can be given. But don't be surprised if once the blockage is passed, you have a small amount of diarrhoea. It sometimes happens that when there is a blockage, the softer stool stacks up behind it.

Can you leave her with her mum and just supplement her feeding? Then mum will constantly clean her and she still might get some mothers milk as well.

I had to bottle feed my first litter but once mum was well enough I let her be with them. They'd suckle from her as well as get the bottle.

Kirislin, I would love for her to be with her mum, they bonded so well, though mum was way over the top with cleaning her, I was constantly telling her off as she refused to leave the baby alone even when the baby was feeding mum kept knocking her off to clean her. After 36 hours the pup started looking rather weak and lethargic so I took her away, she had lost over 30gm from birth weight so I started to supplement her, within 24 hours she was almost back to her birth weight so I tried her again with mum and within an hour she was once again looking sickly.

Mum had very little milk even though she had been having goat milk, eggs and probiotic for 2 weeks prior to whelping, she did not go in to labour, not temp drop, no nesting, no milk production, no loss of mucous plug.

My vet and I were aware that she was only carrying 1 puppy and decided to do the Caesar. It is quite possible that the little milk mum produced was toxic to the puppy.

Fresh, I have a local supplier.

That is excellent...goats milk doesnt need anything added to it, for example the egg....if I were you I would cut out the egg. And as far as constipated goes it is impossible to constipate on Goats milk alone as it is a natural laxative. It is like a newborn baby that poops much less being breast fed than a bottle fed baby. I am currently hand raising a pug baby and being raised on fresh goats milk with Nutridrops added once a day.

..and if mum is very enthusiastic with cleaning/pushing pup around - i feel that it may be good for stimulation /exercise, and less chance of perhaps being a swimmer/slug. A few sessions a day with Mum ..may help settle mum's hormones/keenness, and provide pup with what she needs :)