Struppie's Battle To Stay Alive A Bit Longer

gwp4me

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

natalieandcid, thanks for your positive thoughts, we sure need them. DerRottweiler, Struppie seems to sleep more now, but then again he was very lively and excited, when I came home from work tonight, could not wait for his feed of broccoli and braised chicken. After the 4th week of rescue chemo (this time with a dose of Vincristine), and the lymph nodes not shrinking, the vet and I have decided to give weekly chemo from now on. Maybe, this will stop the cancer from running away on us. The situation is becoming more hopeless. : :mad

Struppie is a beautiful looking boy ........ and I feel for you and your boy. May the new year bring you positive news as you and Struppie fight the good fight together.

One of my boys (my nine year old Shepherd) has an inoperable tumour and whilst we are trying different things to buy some more time, some days it just does your head in, doing everything you can and just looking for and hoping for some indication that what we are doing is going to help and get us that extra precious time.

And some days it is overwhelming and I have struggled not to get caught up in and focused on life revolving around treatments, results, getting the right food etc etc (I to am trying to feed a meat/veggie diet) and whether he's a bit quiet or a bit off his food and not trying to read to much into anything as while I'm doing all those things and stressing about them...I've realized that I am missing out on just spending quiet, relaxed time with him.

Someone much smarter than me told me not to forget to make the most of whatever time we have to spend doing enjoyable things and living well in spite of a diagnosis instead of always and only living that diagnosis.....very wise words which I repeat to myself every day particularly when things aren't going right or when I feel hopeless.

Struppie is a lucky boy to be so obviously loved and to have you in his corner fighting for him.

Someone much smarter than me told me not to forget to make the most of whatever time we have to spend doing enjoyable things and living well in spite of a diagnosis instead of always and only living that diagnosis.....very wise words which I repeat to myself every day particularly when things aren't going right or when I feel hopeless.

Wise words indeed.

Thinking of you gwp4me, shepherds, Bindo and all who are going through this. :hug:

Wise words indeed.

Thinking of you gwp4me, shepherds, Bindo and all who are going through this. :hug:

x 2. :hug:

shepherds, that's exactly what I am doing to myself, too, also, I am checking the size of the lumps every day, and then feel defeated. Sorry, to hear your pet is also unwell. :( Waking up, or coming home to a dog that is still lively, hungry and tail wagging, brings some happiness to me. Thanks kayla1 and k9angel for your support.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, much appreciated, and shepherds words of wisdom - so true!

We have just come back from 6 days in the bush, and although Lucy was not up to her usual walks, I let her chase rabbits to her heart's content and 'pretend' to chase the kangaroos. We even snuck in a raw bone and I could tell by the look on her face and her enthusiasm, it was the highlight of her Christmas. She had a lovely time just wandering around with me and supervising all the usual maintenance work at this time of year.

Lucy2_small_zpsa275b875.jpg

I really hope there's good news for Struppie this week. :crossfingers:

Thanks Horsegal98 and Bindo, Struppies Lymph Nodes have decreased a bit in size, he is nearly boisterous at the moment, went for a swim yesterday, a walk this moring, giving me hope that I can buy more time for him. :thumbsup: Bindo, lovely photo of Lucy, still around and loved so much. :)

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, much appreciated, and shepherds words of wisdom - so true!

We have just come back from 6 days in the bush, and although Lucy was not up to her usual walks, I let her chase rabbits to her heart's content and 'pretend' to chase the kangaroos. We even snuck in a raw bone and I could tell by the look on her face and her enthusiasm, it was the highlight of her Christmas. She had a lovely time just wandering around with me and supervising all the usual maintenance work at this time of year.

What a beautiful girl your Lucy is and it sounds like you had a lovely time, doing good things.... Long may they continue ....

Thanks Horsegal98 and Bindo, Struppies Lymph Nodes have decreased a bit in size, he is nearly boisterous at the moment, went for a swim yesterday, a walk this moring, giving me hope that I can buy more time for him. :thumbsup: Bindo, lovely photo of Lucy, still around and loved so much. :)

That's great news....so very pleased for you and Struppie....also sounds like he is enjoying life to the fullest.....and also the same for you gwp4me......long may good times continue :)

Thanks, shepherds, at the moment Struppie seems more lively and happy. Here a photo of him wearing a red jumper, showing off for the camera, when life was still good, next to his brother Strolchie (from same litter, dec. two years ago).

Struppie006_zpscff814d0.jpg

Thanks, shepherds, at the moment Struppie seems more lively and happy. Here a photo of him wearing a red jumper, showing off for the camera, when life was still good, next to his brother Strolchie (from same litter, dec. two years ago).

Love their names.....and what a great photo.... If I'm not mistaken that looks like encyclopedia's in the background and Struppie looks very regal, almost like he should have had a matching cravat to complete the scene :) Although I suspect in this case appearances are deceptive and Struppie is a larger than life character and was in best behaviour mode for the photo op :D

And that's great Struppie seems lively and happier.....that alone will be helping you feel better.

Kobe has bounced back just a little bit since his last IV and the couple of changes we've made and its been nice just to hear him being a bit more like his old talkative self (he's generally always had a lot to say about everything) over the last couple of days..... That alone has put a smile on my face.

Love the photo too and the names! Where did you get them from? Always a challenge to find interesting and new names for our dogs.

So pleased to hear that Both Struppie and Kobe are feeling better this week. :thumbsup: I will put a Lucy update in her thread so as not to hijack here and provide information for others on the same/similar journey. :)

Well, Struppie was always and still is, the happy "puppy', never growled at another dog, very harmless for an entire. He is the born hunter, always wants to run away and follow the bluffers, ducks and roo trails.

The dog's names are German names for German dogs, meaning: shaggy and vagabond/hobo. :D

Well, Struppie was always and still is, the happy "puppy', never growled at another dog, very harmless for an entire. He is the born hunter, always wants to run away and follow the bluffers, ducks and roo trails.

The dog's names are German names for German dogs, meaning: shaggy and vagabond/hobo. :D

Great to have that link, ie with the heritage. I wanted to call Lucy 'Bartie' as 'bart' means 'beard' in German but my kids wouldn't have it.