Struppie's Battle To Stay Alive A Bit Longer

gwp4me

We bought two pups, so there wasn't a lonely dog at home, when we drove into town. My husband already had their names picked. I still sometimes call Adi "Strolchie", because he is so much like him, which gives me comfort.

Bart would be quite a nice name for a boy. :)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My update on Struppie: his lymphnodes have gone down a bit in size, but they are still noticable, and a worry, of course. We are still having chemo weekly, I think we better not stop completely, or cancer will spread, rather do it fortnighly? Now it is 8 months since start of treatment. Struppie is fairly happy and would love to go hunting by himself, too many temptations here in the middle of the bush. While he is boisterous, he is still alive. :)

My update on Struppie: his lymphnodes have gone down a bit in size, but they are still noticable, and a worry, of course. We are still having chemo weekly, I think we better not stop completely, or cancer will spread, rather do it fortnighly? Now it is 8 months since start of treatment. Struppie is fairly happy and would love to go hunting by himself, too many temptations here in the middle of the bush. While he is boisterous, he is still alive. :)

I was wondering how things were going.. Is there a normal protocol for chemo in this instance? It's hard isn't it to make a decision on whether to keep something going as it is......or to make changes ....especially when you know the current regime if nothing else is holding things at bay.

That Struppie is boisterous and wants to go hunting to find doggie treasures is good news....and long may that continue.

shepherds, it's only trial and error, we are doing rescue at the moment. There are a lot of different protocols around, we only use a single drug now - Vincristine - as it has shrunk the lumps a bit. The vet is happy with the result, and suggested chemo every fortnight, for a short while anyhow. Struppie got his 3 year vaccination today, very optimistic, we can't do chemo for that long. Struppie atm is fast asleep, after eating his 1/2 roast chicken for dinner. :)

As I mentioned earlier, my vet wanted Struppie on daily Macrolone tablets and second weekly chemo (Vincristine), but after missing one week of chemo, the lymphnodes at back of hindlegs, have enlarged again. So at yesterday's chemo session, the bloodtest also showed that there is an infection, as white bloodcells are down. Now Struppie is on antibiotics, and weekly chemo. You cannot win, on the positive side, it will be a weekly roasted takeaway chicken again for dinner, after arriving home from treatment. :(

It's so emotionally draining when they are up and down all the time. Just when you think things are looking up and then something else crops up that you have to get your head around. It's really tough.

Hope the antibiotics clear his infection.

Struppie still has not completed his course of antibiotics, he is not in pain, and appears quite normal. We will go on till chemo does not work anymore, what a thought to get up with in the morning, crazy.

Thanks very much for your good wishes. :)

Sorry to hear things have taken a backward step. it certainly is one helluva a roller coaster ride and I understand your sentiment about the thought of what you wake up with every morning.

Things can change very quickly either way and hopefully this week for Struppie is a good week when things turn around. Last week Kobe's blood results and blood sugar levels were not great and vets were not positive (and I was shattered) this week they are better and hope has been restored again. The whole process and constant highs and lows are very draining and that in itself takes a huge toll. When youve been on that roller coaster for a while, and when things arent going so good, some days it's just bloody hard.

Hang in there and I'm sure Struppie is going to enjoy his chicken.

Hope Kobe is travelling well. Struppie's white blood cells were down, so no chemo last Wednesday, he was given more antibiotics to take home. We hope he can have chemo this Wednesday, don't want the cancer to take off. Otherwise he seems painfree and reasonable happy.

Well Bindo, Struppie was allowed chemo today, the infection has cleared up. Have to bring him in again next Wednesday (first day off work for me every week) to do a bloodtest, then decide about chemo. The lymphnodes are the same size as they were two weeks ago. Struppie is fast asleep at the moment in his bed/livingroom.. :)

Kobe is doing okay, had a couple of rough weeks with mixed results, things settled and now a little bit flat this week and I'm hoping its just a tummy bug and nothing more.

That's good news that Struppie has recovered well enough to restart chemo and that despite the break there was no increase in size over the past two weeks. I hope he enjoyed his chicken dinner and I hope you are hanging in there and coping with the highs and lows of the roller coaster ride.

Good to hear that Struppie is well enough for his treatment and that the disease seems to have stabilised. Shepherds, sorry to hear that Kobe has been a bit flat of late. Sometimes it's very difficult to work out what is causing what, but I'm sure he is getting lots of TLC from Mum. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Struppie and I visit the vet every Wednesday, to check his white blood cells and size of lumps, he had no chemo last Wed, but will have this week. Poor vet doesn't want to overdo it, neither want the cancer to get out of control. Struppie has grown white hair on his chin, and looks/acts like a 12 year old dog, He was a bit flat on one day only, otherwise he has turned into a gutser, wants to eat any rubbish, even tooth picks, have to watch him (thanks to the Macrolone ).

A few weeks ago, I rescued a Kelpie from Broken Hill Pound, and Struppie accepts and is kind to him. Here a photo of Struppie and the new boy Teddy:

P10306572.jpg

Glad to hear Struppie is still doing relatively well. Love the photo! He doesn't want to show everyone his grey hair! Your property looks just beautiful, so lush. Even up our way, in the central tablelands, it looks like Ireland at the moment, after being so brown at Christmas.