Struppie's Battle To Stay Alive A Bit Longer

gwp4me

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gwp4me, so very sorry to read about the loss of your beloved Struppie. :cry: In time I hope you can take some comfort from knowing you gave the fight everything you had and more and Struppie couldn't have asked for anything else.

I wish you strength over the coming days and from one grieving owner to another there is nothing that can take away the pain of the loss, it is something we just have to endure and the price we pay for having and loving them so much....and in the end I know you would do it all over again for the joy and love that he brought you.

RIP Struppie. :rainbowbridge:

So sorry gwp4me, I have followed his thread quietly because I had nothing useful to add. I have learned lots from reading though and was so sad to see this, thankyou for sharing his journey. I think these threads can never be underestimated in the help they give people who have to go through the same trials you have. He was so lucky to have you caring for him. RIP Struppie, run free with your brother.

I am so so sorry Gwp4me. :cry::cry::cry:

My thoughts are with you. :hug: I can only imagine how heartbroken & lost you must be feeling without Struppie. :cry:

Although I never had the honour of meeting Struppie in person, I came to know and love him through your posts and updates, as I am sure many others did here.

Thankyou for sharing Struppie's story and for all the gorgeous photo's along the way. He was one very special boy. :heart:

I wrote you a little poem, I hope you don't mind.

Run free gorgeous Struppie

Shine bright amongst the Stars,

Although you left this world my friend,

In my heart, you are never far.

I know Strolchie was waiting for you

Just like you both wait for me,

Until we meet again, my friends

Shine bright, be happy, run free. xx

9107361390_7a1b79079e_z.jpg

:heart: Struppie & Strolchie ~ Together, forever. xx :heart:

Edited by k9angel

Thank you so much shepherds, coogie, harley, k9angel, for your kind thoughts and comfort, and the beautiful picture and poem - which I will save and cherish. :angel: Struppie put up a great fight, up and down it went all the way. Only watched with sadness towards the end, had to stop his suffering. He wagged his tail and kissed me on his last day, but had stopped eating, and lost weight rapidly,

I think his cancer had advanced. :cry: He gained 13 months of what I think was a fairly happy life, that's the best I could do for him. Now my dream is over, the two pups whom my daughter and I picked from the lovingly bred litter, have not been granted the long life I wished for. But they had a ball together while they were with us.

Ohhhh , I too have followed the story , enjoying the photos and seeing how cherished he was.

I have a picture in my mind now of the two boys splashing and smiling together , and hope you also can smile a bit , knowing he is now pain free and with Strolchie .

take care ... you will have such a large gap in your day-to-day now .

:hug:

:rainbowbridge:

Oh, gwp4me, my heart goes out to you. I just turned the computer on and saw this. I am so, so sorry for you, a horrible but necessary decision.

You did the most amazing job in fighting for Struppie and making his last year or so the best you could. He is now pain free and with his beloved brother, Strolchie. The next few weeks will be tough, so take care and go easy on yourself. Never a replacement, but at least you have the other dogs to love and cherish in this difficult time. Lots of cyber hugs :hug:

I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved Struppie. I'm sure Strolchie was there waiting for him when the time came, and they are running free together now. I hope it gives you some comfort to think of them together again. :rainbowbridge:

Look after yourself gwp4me. :hug:

Thanks heaps, persephone, Bindo, kayla1, BlueyLove, Anne, stans mum, for your compassion and support, helps a lot to send me on my way. In all our sadness and disappointment, we are relieved now that Struppie is free of pain.

He was a happy boy - every day of his life, his tail always wagging, even when visiting the vet, whom he kissed when being given an injection. Also he was entire, he never growled at another dog, or wanted a fight, only wanted to be friends with them all. Of course all the vets loved him, he was never any trouble for them, he even accepted their cat. When we brought home 10 week old Adi, he patiently raised him, accepted all the pulling and tugging, and being dragged around the yard by his collar. Adi seems happy with Teddy, at other times I think he is more scared now without Struppie, the excellent watch dog. Struppie is buried next to Strolchie, and the other two GWPs Raudi and Merkel, in a paddock overlooked from the house - in a pretty spot near the river, heads turned towards home.

:(

P10005832.jpg

P10005662.jpg

DerRottweiler, thank you so much. Yes, 13 months of extra life was a gift for Struppie and us, especially the last 5 weeks of my annual leave, which I wholly spent with him - taking him for daily walks. I have thought of your Bison, and how much an extra 5 months would have meant for you both. All good things have come to an end.

• 2 months later...

Sorry this is so delayed, I'd somewhat forgotten about the forum. Sadly it's taken my Harvey's cancer coming back this week to trigger the thought of this thread and poor Struppie.

So very sorry to hear gwp4me. You both certainly put up a great fight. Hope you're coping well, thoughts are with you.

--

Harvey is very much on borrowed time now, they've added mix of tablet chemo with the aim it will take over having some effect with the drugs already in use are now failing. His still plenty fit happy and healthy but certainly drumming home there isn't much time left.

Your comment above got me thinking about taking time off work, something I'll aim at. Tricky thing I think is going to be timing it well with limited time off available.

Hi Spoony, how sad to read about your Harvey's relapse, and I know how tough your journey ahead will be. :hug: Will be thinking of you both. :(

If I was you, I would take all my holidays in one go, asap, in case there is not much time left for him. I am at peace/pleased with myself, because I have spent with Struppie every day of my five week annual leave, and persevered with the thirteen months chemo treatment. But I am very disappointed that I lost both brothers so prematurely, and will always grieve for them. I sometimes check this section of the forum for updates, after all - it was Struppies home, while he was around.