New Rescue

We are talking about a policy of no small pets at all and no small pets next door and being required to notify if moving. Aside from being unenforceable it hints at possible problems if a dog cannot even be kept safely next door to another dog ever.

There are many dangers for cats that stray, and there isn't a breed of dog that is guaranteed to accpt strange cats in their yard. All the responsible greyhound groups I know of will explain the risks to adopters and what can be done to minimise.

I'm not sure why you are still going off on this tangent. It would be safer if no big dogs were ever adopted out if you want to keep going down that path.

You went off on this tangent to start with :shrug:

To be blunt here, this thread is beginning to feel like a typical Dol "welcome" thread. The sort of welcome that involves people jumping in to pick at the the OP once they see others doing it (I'm looking at you, MUP) and the usual "guilty until proven innocent" attitude.

This woman is looking to help and she's being treated like a pedophile applying for a job as a babysitter. Christ..

What? I was really asking out of interest. I was going to suggest if they don't that that would be a great place to start as good professional behind them makes a good solid foundation. I haven't been snarky even once..

I'm actually kind of offended that you consider me jumping on a bandwagon. That's not my style. I for one completely support their venture and think it's great.

ETA: If you look in the other thread you'll see I was suggesting names for the rescue. Please don't imply nasty tone when their is none :)

Edited by mixeduppup

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are talking about a policy of no small pets at all and no small pets next door and being required to notify if moving. Aside from being unenforceable it hints at possible problems if a dog cannot even be kept safely next door to another dog ever.

There are many dangers for cats that stray, and there isn't a breed of dog that is guaranteed to accpt strange cats in their yard. All the responsible greyhound groups I know of will explain the risks to adopters and what can be done to minimise.

I'm not sure why you are still going off on this tangent. It would be safer if no big dogs were ever adopted out if you want to keep going down that path.

Somehow my being ever so diligent with bull breeds has been equated to me adopting out aggressive dogs and for some reason people have come to the conclusion that I am not worthy or good enough to rescue and re-home greyhounds. Where I may very well have a ton more experience with dogs, and rescue than many of these other rescues that are out there but not being given a chance is pretty un-fair. Maybe other rescue groups have done wrong and caused harm but I assure you I will not be one of those.

Shouldn't it be in the contract that when an adopter moves the rescue is let known so they can update their records? How else do you do follow ups? I leave my adoptions open for us to follow up any time. I like to know where my dogs are, what happens if say you see a dog in a shelter web site in QLD that looks a lot like a dog you placed but they lived in Vic would you not want to know they moved to QLD so you can make sure that if a dog does get out and picked up you can take the steps to help the dog if it needs it? If people dont want to agree to my terms they certainly dont have to adopt from me. I tend to think the worse though so that could be why I want to make sure I have everything covered.

What kind of trainer have you got at your disposal and do you have an experience sighthound temp tester?

Actually I am a dog trainer did it as a business for some time. I am also trained by the HSUS in temp testing, and humane training took it when I worked for Animal Control. I have a lot of experience with dogs. I have worked as a vet tech for many years, have gone to college for vet tech so I am not just some run of the mill person who has no experience with dogs, dog behavior etc. I spend many years training dogs, working with aggressive dogs and their owners to make them safer and more under control. Not to say I will ever adopt out an aggressive dog but when you have people who need help with their dogs and you can help them that was my job.

Excellent :thumbsup:

I was gong to suggest you get one but you've got it covered. :D

What kind of trainer have you got at your disposal and do you have an experience sighthound temp tester?

Actually I am a dog trainer did it as a business for some time. I am also trained by the HSUS in temp testing, and humane training took it when I worked for Animal Control. I have a lot of experience with dogs. I have worked as a vet tech for many years, have gone to college for vet tech so I am not just some run of the mill person who has no experience with dogs, dog behavior etc. I spend many years training dogs, working with aggressive dogs and their owners to make them safer and more under control. Not to say I will ever adopt out an aggressive dog but when you have people who need help with their dogs and you can help them that was my job.

Well I have been trained on temp testing shelter dogs, but not sighthounds specifically so may need to look into that do you know of any in Victoria or anything special they look at? We were trained in looking for resource guarding, full body touching, prey drive, and stuff like that we had sighthounds come into the shelter and just did the typical temp testing.

You went off on this tangent to start with :shrug:

To be blunt here, this thread is beginning to feel like a typical Dol "welcome" thread. The sort of welcome that involves people jumping in to pick at the the OP once they see others doing it (I'm looking at you, MUP) and the usual "guilty until proven innocent" attitude.

This woman is looking to help and she's being treated like a pedophile applying for a job as a babysitter. Christ..

What? The op said she didnt know why people might jump to the conclusion that the dogs were aggressive so I answered.

No idea why you are making a big deal about it or having a go at me.

I don't really care if you dont think I'm welcoming enough. I didn't make any comments until it was clear that the op really has no idea what other Victorian groups do or why they do it.

I stand by what I said and others are allowed to have the same concerns . Go and whinge to troy if you think people are being picked on.

Somehow my being ever so diligent with bull breeds has been equated to me adopting out aggressive dogs and for some reason people have come to the conclusion that I am not worthy or good enough to rescue and re-home greyhounds. Where I may very well have a ton more experience with dogs, and rescue than many of these other rescues that are out there but not being given a chance is pretty un-fair. Maybe other rescue groups have done wrong and caused harm but I assure you I will not be one of those.

Shouldn't it be in the contract that when an adopter moves the rescue is let known so they can update their records? How else do you do follow ups? I leave my adoptions open for us to follow up any time. I like to know where my dogs are, what happens if say you see a dog in a shelter web site in QLD that looks a lot like a dog you placed but they lived in Vic would you not want to know they moved to QLD so you can make sure that if a dog does get out and picked up you can take the steps to help the dog if it needs it? If people dont want to agree to my terms they certainly dont have to adopt from me. I tend to think the worse though so that could be why I want to make sure I have everything covered.

You can ask people that adopt to do anything you like. You cannot enforce it.

Dogs in any state can be identified by earbrand and microchip but not all owners will update contact details.

Well I have been trained on temp testing shelter dogs, but not sighthounds specifically so may need to look into that do you know of any in Victoria or anything special they look at? We were trained in looking for resource guarding, full body touching, prey drive, and stuff like that we had sighthounds come into the shelter and just did the typical temp testing.

I'm not sure about sighthound specific tests. I know that in America the temp tests for working/hunt scent hounds were a bit different to the other dogs (making allowances for their high scent/prey drives and general disinterest in people :laugh:) I don't know if they have sighthound specific testing but I imagine there would have to be some leniency given their prey drive? Perhaps chat to a few sighthound people and some temp tester contacts and see if there is one. It would be interesting to find out.

On the subject of temp testing, I don't necessarily agree with a blanket temp test for all breeds as what someone considers abnormal for one breed can be completely normal in another...but that's another discussion there lol

You can ask people that adopt to do anything you like. You cannot enforce it.

Dogs in any state can be identified by earbrand and microchip but not all owners will update contact details.

Yes I know, but usually when people sign a contract they try to stick to it. I am not sure why my asking people to do this equates to me not being a good rescue, I can tell you really really don't want us to do this I just cant understand why. Why are we so bad? Why are we not capable of running a good rescue and helping dogs. Do you give all new rescues this much trouble or just greyhound ones? I have been involved in dogs since I Was 15 and volunteering at a vet, I spent all my adult life working for vets, going to school to be a vet tech, working at shelters and humane societies, running rescues. I think maybe its just you dont understand how dedicated I am to helping animals its not a hobby for me its a passion.

I'm not sure about sighthound specific tests. I know that in America the temp tests for working/hunt scent hounds were a bit different to the other dogs (making allowances for their high scent/prey drives and general disinterest in people :laugh:) I don't know if they have sighthound specific testing but I imagine there would have to be some leniency given their prey drive? Perhaps chat to a few sighthound people and some temp tester contacts and see if there is one. It would be interesting to find out.

On the subject of temp testing, I don't necessarily agree with a blanket temp test for all breeds as what someone considers abnormal for one breed can be completely normal in another...but that's another discussion there lol

Well the training I took went over the different types of dogs it was a pretty inclusive week long class. I also studied under a great trainer/behavioralist that taught me a ton when I was running my dog training business.

I will do some digging and let you know what I come up with

Well the training I took went over the different types of dogs it was a pretty inclusive week long class. I also studied under a great trainer/behavioralist that taught me a ton when I was running my dog training business.

I will do some digging and let you know what I come up with

Sounds like you're good to go. Yes, please do it will be interesting to know.

lack of foster carers is what hold up the works - for all rescues.

will you have the same restrictions on the greyhounds as you did the amstaff's - owned home, no neighbours with other pets? What will you do with your rescue dog if it turns out not suitable with your kids or cat? Sometimes their true personality takes a while to shine through. What's your back up plan?

And I'm not a rescue, no competition to me, but I am very aware of how hard groups like GAP and GSN have had to fight for the greyhound and I am very cautious when someone new comes on the scene promising all sorts of stuff. Greyhounds have a lot to lose.

No I wont have the same restrictions on the greyhounds as we did on the Am Staffs. Many greyhounds can and do get along with cats and small animals. If they dont test well with my cat they simply will be re homed with a family with no cats or plan to get cats. With the children there are to many variables to put a blanket decision on all the dogs. My kids were raised around rescue so they know the ins and outs, they love it and do understand that sometimes we can get a dog that is too far gone to be helped.

As someone who has had greyhounds and cats living together for a few years now, fosters and owned, racebred and showbred, I am aware how quickly a dog can turn on a cat when it is seemingly ok. So I am curious on what your back up plan is if your foster greyhound proved non cat safe after a couple of weeks time; what will you do with it? You can't adopt it out to a non cat home if you don't already have one lined up, sometimes it takes months for the right home to turn up. So what of your poor cat?

I had a non cat safe dog here once for 3 days, was horrible for the dog, the cats, the people, but as I was a foster carer the dog was able to be moved on and made a wonderful pet for someone cat free.

The dog would come back if the adopter couldnt handle it. I have had dogs that would love to kill a cat in my rescue when I had a cat its doable not easy but doable and am prepared to deal with this. I had a cattle dog once that was feral for 5 years, put into a kennel and then got shipped to us.

He didnt like children or cats we assessed him and found that he was willing to learn he just didnt know anything from being wild. He did take a year in our care but turned out to be a beautiful well behaved dog. He was adopted out to a family and did very well never a problem but the owners who took him knew everything about him we held nothing back we never do we tell the adopters everything. We keep records of everything pertaining to health and behavior all this is passed on in a file with the dogs.

I'm sorry but I am asking what happens if you have a non cat safe dog in your care? What do you do with the dog? It seems you are prepared to risk your cat for the sake of the dog. I didn't ask for stories about some cattle dog you had in the past and what info you passed on to his adopters.

I'm not convinced that rescue groups are in competition with each other, it's not as if dogs needing new homes are a scarce commodity. I think diversity is a good thing; as long as the basics are being well done, individual groups will be able to offer different things. Small groups can offer geographic convenience, flexibility and personal service that larger groups constrained by size and strict policy sometimes can't do.

I started out fostering for a much larger organisation, but decided that I wanted to be able to make my own policies and decisions, so started my own group; I don't think we're taking resources away from other groups, but offering another option for adopters.

It sounds like the proposed new group has lots of good experience to bring to the rescue scene, which can only be a good thing for Greyhounds.

I'm sorry but I am asking what happens if you have a non cat safe dog in your care? What do you do with the dog? It seems you are prepared to risk your cat for the sake of the dog. I didn't ask for stories about some cattle dog you had in the past and what info you passed on to his adopters.

That dog was cat aggressive we managed. My cat will remain safe. At that time we took up to 20 dogs and had a huge set up for them. They all got time in the house with the family and had huge divided yards. We would work with the dogs and ensure the safety of the cat and fairness of both dog and cat. Our house is actually well set up so that neither of the two would have to come in contact but still both be inside. If we got a dog that was like this it would most likely be kept with my daughter who is in the back of the house with a dividing door and plenty of room. We then have the main part of the house which is then divided from the front part of the house its a nice set up actually.

I have never had a dog kill another persons pets but I am very aware of the dogs we put out there. In the case of Sm staffs we placed they couldnt have other small pets nor have neighbors that had cats or dogs on either side of them. The risk of another animal being hurt because I wasnt diligent just isnt worth it IMO

The first quote certainly gives the impression that you were placing very aggressive dogs.

You can give all the assurances you want but no-one knows you and from your earlier posts you did not come across as being very dog savvy at all. You didn't even seem aware of the state laws that govern greyhounds and their green collars and who can assess the dog and give them the collar. Do you know that in Victoria greyhounds can never be let off lead in a public place, including off lead dog parks and wearing their green collar?

This is my breed, I love it dearly, and I have seen first hand the efforts made to get greyhound adoption to where it is in this state. And I will query anyone that comes in wanting to reinvent the wheel when there are 2 excellent groups doing a world of good and crying out for foster carers.

The first quote certainly gives the impression that you were placing very aggressive dogs.

You can give all the assurances you want but no-one knows you and from your earlier posts you did not come across as being very dog savvy at all. You didn't even seem aware of the state laws that govern greyhounds and their green collars and who can assess the dog and give them the collar. Do you know that in Victoria greyhounds can never be let off lead in a public place, including off lead dog parks and wearing their green collar?

This is my breed, I love it dearly, and I have seen first hand the efforts made to get greyhound adoption to where it is in this state. And I will query anyone that comes in wanting to reinvent the wheel when there are 2 excellent groups doing a world of good and crying out for foster carers.

Have you ever owned an Am staff, pit bull or anything close? have you seen the fear in people's eyes when you walk them? Have you seen or heard what people say when one screams to get to another dog or cat? Why risk it when the breed is going to be extinct if people are not very careful on placing them.

Lets put it this way, what if greyhounds were terrifying to the majority of people, and what if they are notorious for killing small animals even those trained not to or those raised with cats, what if each animal hurt by the breed was another nail in the coffin of this breed would you not want someone to be very careful on placing them? Would deem the dog aggressive because it wants to kill a cat? Or would you just prefer not to risk it and make sure you are educating the public and minimizing the risk that another animal can be hurt for the sake of the breed?

Yes I know the laws about them never being off leash, I knew that GAP could get dogs their green collar. I also knew that even with a green collar they cant be off lead. I know the laws and have already put them in my book marks so that I can print them out to put in the go home packet for adopters. I knew you could get them green collars but was unsure if we should do it before adoption or let the adopters go through with it. I had also lost the link on the exact place to have it done.

I am certainly glad that these two large rescues were absolutely perfect and never made a mistake or had t learn anything they must have been born with the laws in grained into them wish I could have been born that way.

Look I am not going to run out grab the first 10 greyhounds I see throw them all in my house and run to gumtree to find homes day one. Which it seems many here think is going to happen.

I have been working on my mission statement, and go home packets, I am looking at ordering muzzles, collars and leashes to give to the owner when they adopt. I am looking into good greyhound product places that I can send to the new owners. I am looking into a ton of resources to print out and send with the new owners. I am looking at the best record keeping product that will be able to hold all the info we will keep on the dog. We will be keeping files on all the dogs that will contain everything and a copy will be given to the new owners.

I understand that you love this breed and are protective of them. I wouldnt be too worried about us we will be fine as will the dogs. As far as redefining the wheel what is it you think we are trying to redefine?

Edited by Greylvr

I volunteer for GSN, who are ethical, and have good policies in place, which includes a plan B if a foster dog needs to be removed immediately. Have you considered that if you fostered for either GSN or GAP that you could play a very big part in "saving" 15 - 20 cat friendly greyhounds a year - the majority of which are killed due to lack of foster carers - without the expense, heartache and liability of trying to do the same on your own.

You sound very inexperiened with greyhounds which does concern me.

I knew you could get them green collars but was unsure if we should do it before adoption or let the adopters go through with it.

GAP Vic will only assess once the greyhound has been adopted and they then become a GAP greyhound with a new adoption contract between GAP and the adopter.

Have you ever owned an Am staff, pit bull or anything close? have you seen the fear in people's eyes when you walk them? Have you seen or heard what people say when one screams to get to another dog or cat? Why risk it when the breed is going to be extinct if people are not very careful on placing them.

Lets put it this way, what if greyhounds were terrifying to the majority of people, and what if they are notorious for killing small animals even those trained not to or those raised with cats, what if each animal hurt by the breed was another nail in the coffin of this breed would you not want someone to be very careful on placing them? Would deem the dog aggressive because it wants to kill a cat? Or would you just prefer not to risk it and make sure you are educating the public and minimizing the risk that another animal can be hurt for the sake of the breed?

Yes I know the laws about them never being off leash, I knew that GAP could get dogs their green collar. I also knew that even with a green collar they cant be off lead. I know the laws and have already put them in my book marks so that I can print them out to put in the go home packet for adopters. I knew you could get them green collars but was unsure if we should do it before adoption or let the adopters go through with it. I had also lost the link on the exact place to have it done.

I am certainly glad that these two large rescues were absolutely perfect and never made a mistake or had t learn anything they must have been born with the laws in grained into them wish I could have been born that way.

What has owning a bull breed got to do with anything? I have owned GSD's and Greyhound and yes I have had people look at them with terror in their eyes and nearly fall over themselves rushing to get to the other side of the street.

Greyhounds are hunters, bred to kill game from deer down.

I didn't say GAP or GSN were perfect nor had never made mistakes but they have been around for a long time now and you could learn from them.

Edited by Rebanne

What has owning a bull breed got to do with anything? I have owned GSD's and Greyhound and yes I have had people look at them with terror in their eyes and nearly fall over themselves rushing to get to the other side of the street.

Greyhounds are hunters, bred to kill game from deer down.

I didn't say GAP or GSN were perfect nor had never made mistakes but they have been around for a long time now and you could learn from them.

Because you are questioning the way I placed bull breeds, if you have never had to deal with the stereotypes that come with bulls breeds or have to watch a breed you love close to being extinct then you wouldn't understand the levels people will go through to protect them and making sure they are not exposed to small animals is one of those ways to protect them. Years ago us bully lovers had to read about Germany taking 1,000s of dogs and killing them just because irresponsible owners didn't take the precautions to keep the breed safe so a few bad dogs got a ton of good dogs killed it was so sad.

I have no problems taking advice and welcome it actually

I also didnt allow any bully breed that was adopted with us to go through any guard dog training, Shutzhund and the like. These are all choices we get to make when we run a rescue to do what we think is in the best interest of the dog and breed as a whole.