New Rescue

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, but you have to also separate what you think of a person from what they say. There are people on this forum whose opinion I really respect and value, but who at the same time I kind of hate. Sometimes I open a thread, see someone's avatar and groan, roll my eyes, or read a post and think ".... b*tch" or "wow, I can't believe they just wrote that" but also.. yep, fair point. Or, yep, I bloody hate *insert name here* but they know a hell of a lot about whatever breed/condition/etc. There are here who I'd NEVER be friends with in real life, and people I'm friends with in real life who I'd hate if I saw them posting here.

There are also some people who I can't make up my mind about - on one hand I think they're completely tactless and rude, but on the other hand they're extremely knowledgeable and experienced, and if I needed advice on something I'd go to them and would be confident in their opinion. So sometimes it's not about being friends with someone - there's no use surrounding yourself wiht yes men who will pat you on the back and be supportive all the time. Sometimes you need tough love, a bit of a wake up slap, someone to tell you to pull your head in, or someone to give you the cold hard truth. If you want to have a good, well respected and longstanding rescue that does good work for dogs, you need to learn from these people and take on board what they say, even if it's not what you want to hear, or isn't delivered in a friendly tone.

ETA - and if people are rude TO you, so much the better. It's the ones who don't tell you what they really think that you need to watch out for.

I would hope, but have very little expectation, that those people you are so generous towards would extend that same generosity to you, Alkhe.

If a person believes they are right and someone else is wrong, it behoves them to explain this in a polite and non-argumentative manner. DOL is not a shining example of such practices. I believe there are enough polite and interested DOLers whose knowledge is widespread and worthwhile, not to give truck to those who are rude and overbearing.

Greylvr, the Pound Rounds thread maybe long and repetitive and distressing, but look at it like you would an application form for the dogs you want to rehome to the best possible homes available. And with that in mind, it won't hopefully be such a trial to plough through. :) :)

So you have had some problems and now both dogs are or have to be moved on?

It's not unusual for a home to not be compatible with dogs after they have arrived. They're still safe with the Rescue so I don't see the drama? :shrug:

It's not unusual for a home to not be compatible with dogs after they have arrived. They're still safe with the Rescue so I don't see the drama? :shrug:

Oh I thought they meant, went to another rescue.

Oh I thought they meant, went to another rescue.

I'm not sure it's really clear at the moment, maybe Greylvr will be back at some stage and may choose to clarify.

Sounded clear to me?

Hey guys if anyone has a spot to foster a dog please let us know. Or if you know someone looking to adopt a dog tell them about Ina and Lucky they really need a home to call their own. Neither can be placed with cats other than that they are great with kids and do get along well with other dogs.
Oh no they won't be put down ever but once in a loving home of their own they can be at peace no more shuffling no more uncertainty we would never put down a healthy dog sorry for the confusion

I took that as looking for a foster carer or forever home...

Sounded clear to me?

Hey guys if anyone has a spot to foster a dog please let us know. Or if you know someone looking to adopt a dog tell them about Ina and Lucky they really need a home to call their own. Neither can be placed with cats other than that they are great with kids and do get along well with other dogs.
Oh no they won't be put down ever but once in a loving home of their own they can be at peace no more shuffling no more uncertainty we would never put down a healthy dog sorry for the confusion

yup, same.

Sounded clear to me?

No - it wasn't that post Rebanne was referring to.

It was posted in a greyhound FB group that there were issues with a neighbour and the dogs had to be moved ASAP, one was already in at boarding kennels - but the cost was an issue. My understanding is one is with a different neighbour or a friend, and one is going to another rescue. But that may be incorrect.

It was posted in a greyhound FB group that there were issues with a neighbour and the dogs had to be moved ASAP, one was already in at boarding kennels - but the cost was an issue. My understanding is one is with a different neighbour or a friend, and one is going to another rescue. But that may be incorrect.

Oh, right.

We've also taken on dogs from other Rescues when they've felt they weren't properly equipped so I don't see a huge issue with that either. Whatever's best for the dog.

Sounded clear to me?

oh dear. Well whatever happens I hope the dogs get adopted soon.

I really hope that's not true, even if you're not going to cross your Ts and dot your I's, you'd assume that checking with neighbours would be somewhere near the top of things to do before embarking on something like this.