New Rescue

Greylvr, I do hope you can work something out so that you can continue to help the breed.

I really don't think bringing Greys home when you have a cat and a small dog and no means to properly separate, is fraught with danger though.

Good luck :)

We do have a way to separate them thats why we had no issues with the cat but we will continue to help the breed and we will continue to rescue when we get moved and settled. Life threw a curveball we dealt with it and kept the dogs safe. We had networked before getting the dogs so we did have support from other rescues and one has made the decision to help us and we are very grateful for that. This is a good rescue that didnt feel the need ot down us to make them feel better about themselves. We would never not do right by the dogs.

Give it a break .Its easy to pass it off as them downing you to make themselves feel better it means you dont have to acknowledge your own errors or learn from them.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greylvr, I do hope you can work something out so that you can continue to help the breed.

I really don't think bringing Greys home when you have a cat and a small dog and no means to properly separate, is fraught with danger though.

We do have a way to separate them thats why we had no issues with the cat but we will continue to help the breed and we will continue to rescue when we get moved and settled. Life threw a curveball we dealt with it and kept the dogs safe. We had networked before getting the dogs so we did have support from other rescues and one has made the decision to help us and we are very grateful for that. This is a good rescue that didnt feel the need ot down us to make them feel better about themselves. We would never not do right by the dogs.

No one is downing you, but it is a good lesson on the "cover all your bases and think before you leap" - which everyone tried to get you to listen to, but you were too stubborn to accept. In hindsite, if you had listened to the advice of the wise, experienced rescuers you could have started off your rescue in your new place and had a fantastic first experience, not one that started on the wrong foot and gave the wrong impression to the rescue world, like this.

Well actually I would think that this experience would surly show people that we are here for the dogs we did what was best for the dogs, we didnt dump them at the pound we didnt put them down we found safe places for them. So you can see we do right by the dogs. You can also see that we are not in it for anything other than the love of the dogs, we have a rescue taking one into their program didnt ask for anything from them, didnt try to persuade them into fostering or letting us adopt out the dog so that we can get the adoption fee. We have spent $500 since Thursday on the dogs and have no issues with it. Even letting those people who wanted to donate to Ina that the new rescue can take her donations.

I've just realised it's only been two weeks since this thread was started. What a rollercoaster for you and your family and the dogs, Greylvr! Good luck on rehoming these two (if they're suitable for rehoming) and then have a break, take a big breath before starting again. I'd suggest you update your facebook and the 'other website' pages as well, otherwise you might end up with pressure on you from PR to take more dogs.

We dont speak with PR just getting the paperwork and there are no greys up at the shelter that will need help as the rescues up there have it covered we will be updating our facebook later today or tonight just finishing up some stuff around here.

I do have to say though that we did call a PR volunteer when all this went down and she was very nice and even offered some suggestions and put us in contact with some more people. The paperwork isnt here yet but lets hope we can get that if not we know how to make our own paperwork which another rescue can help us with the steps.

So have a good Christmas and when we get all settled in we will open our doors back up to those greys in need.

Edited by Greylvr

Well actually I would think that this experience would surly show people that we are here for the dogs we did what was best for the dogs, we didnt dump them at the pound we didnt put them down we found safe places for them. So you can see we do right by the dogs. You can also see that we are not in it for anything other than the love of the dogs, we have a rescue taking one into their program didnt ask for anything from them, didnt try to persuade them into fostering or letting us adopt out the dog so that we can get the adoption fee. We have spent $500 since Thursday on the dogs and have no issues with it. Even letting those people who wanted to donate to Ina that the new rescue can take her donations.

No. If you were really in it 'for the dogs', you'd have spent more than a couple of weeks on the exercise. Some people take years to make sure they're going to do it right, they don't jump in blindly. It has NOT been good for the dogs - either these two individuals, or rescue/greyhounds as a whole.

Sorry, I was being as nice as possible but I'm not sure about the tone of the bolded bit. You think it's GOOD of you to pass on the donations? And you didn't ask the other rescue group for anything? I would hope you're paying them something for helping you out!

Also you should realise that $500 for two dogs isn't an awful lot to be paying out in rescue.

Edited by Katdogs

No. If you were really in it 'for the dogs', you'd have spent more than a couple of weeks on the exercise. Some people take years to make sure they're going to do it right, they don't jump in blindly. It has NOT been good for the dogs - either these two individuals, or rescue/greyhounds as a whole.

Sorry, I was being as nice as possible but I'm not sure about the tone of the bolded bit. You think it's GOOD of you to pass on the donations? And you didn't ask the other rescue group for anything? I would hope you're paying them something for helping you out!

Also you should realise that $500 for two dogs isn't an awful lot to be paying out in rescue.

Nope I realize $500 isnt poo as I use to spend much much more on my rescue dogs before the break.

Like I said have a good Christmas and we will be back. Oh worded wrong I would never ask for anything I meant try to persuade them into just letting me adopt the dogs out and use one of their foster homes. Never mind my words are not coming out right so Ill just leave the thread now.

We dont speak with PR just getting the paperwork and there are no greys up at the shelter that will need help as the rescues up there have it covered we will be updating our facebook later today or tonight just finishing up some stuff around here.

I do have to say though that we did call a PR volunteer when all this went down and she was very nice and even offered some suggestions and put us in contact with some more people. The paperwork isnt here yet but lets hope we can get that if not we know how to make our own paperwork which another rescue can help us with the steps.

So have a good Christmas and when we get all settled in we will open our doors back up to those greys in need.

I just want to point out, as others have in this thread, that you cannot legally rehome them until the microchip details are in your name.

I just want to point out, as others have in this thread, that you cannot legally rehome them until the microchip details are in your name.

Yup we know that will all be settled before they are rehomed to permanent homes.

Yup we know that will all be settled before they are rehomed to permanent homes.

Good to hear, just checking due to the make your own paperwork comment.

I'd be doing up a stat dec and registering the chip numbers yourself with a Victorian registry asap. Neither dog's chip number is registered on ANY database right now, and you are not likely to get any of the paperwork from PR in any great hurry. Ina's new rescue can't rehome her until they are sure of her chip detail AND that she IS desexed - and until such is verified, they are using up a foster home that could otherwise have gone to a dog with all the correct paperwork, etc...

T.

Everything that went wrong could have been totally avoided if advice was followed.

But the people who gave the advice were totally dismissed and instead we get insults.

And now we are expected to believe it is good that you failed and had to rely on another people to save the dogs?

Can you do one single thing that would prove you are more ethical than Pound Rounds? One thing? Because at the moment you are doing exactly what they do, and in some ways you are worse than they are.

Asking for money under an assumed name. You were told that you needed to set up a business or incorporation in order to raise funds. But you just made up a name to collect funds, and have asked the public for money. That is unethical. You told us you had the resources to start a group. Did you lie or did you not think you needed no resources in reserve?

It takes at least a couple of weeks to properly assess a greyhound. But you have written up descriptions for sale and published them without doing this. On your website you label the dogs as adoptable. On Facebook you ask for a permanent home. Pound Rounds are well known for doing this sort of thing. It's called "revolving door rescue" and it's unethical. It risks burning adopters terribly. Pound Rounds will be sued eventually . Do you want angry people taking legal action against you?

You did not have the resources to take care of dogs you took in, in case of an emergency. Ethical rescue is about having a plan B for such emergencies. Instead you placed a burden directly on another group. And because they graciously took a surrender without complaint, you see this as a sign of approval? When rescuers need to have their own dogs rescued, that is a complete fail.

It was explained that you need to find out about local laws about running a rescue. Instead you get compliance officers banging on your door within days of starting, and you act as though this is surprising? You were warned. What do you think happens to people that break laws? How long do you think you can keep fundraising under a made-up name?

You don't have any paperwork to prove you own the dogs you have put up for sale. You have no insurance to cover any accidents or any damage the dogs may cause.

This whole thread has been extremely disturbing. People have put a lot of effort into sharing what they know so that you have the information to run a successful rescue. But you have decided that it is all too much effort to follow laws, or to learn about important things, and you are going to play at being a rescue hero anyway.

It is going to take a lot from you to prove to the community here that you are any better than Pound Rounds. If you are not interested in doing that then you will always be regarded as a negative who is damaging the reputation of the rescue world rather than being seen as a positive who contributes to a reduction of the number of dogs being euthanised.

And I'm not sure why you keep making that ridiculous statement that the greyhounds in shelters in NSW are "covered". You have not taken any time to find out accurate information about the state of greyhound adoption at all.

Your good intentions have brought you a lot of stress and misery. You need to take responsibility for that, as you chose what to do. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail, and that's what has happened so far.

No one is downing you, but it is a good lesson on the "cover all your bases and think before you leap" - which everyone tried to get you to listen to, but you were too stubborn to accept. In hindsite, if you had listened to the advice of the wise, experienced rescuers you could have started off your rescue in your new place and had a fantastic first experience, not one that started on the wrong foot and gave the wrong impression to the rescue world, like this.

I'm afraid I have to agree with this bit. From the time I decided to start rescuing on my own to the time I actually took in our first foster for GHT, it was more than six months. In that time, I wrote up policies, prepared forms, got my information together for incorporation, sorted out my legals, went through every conceivable scenario that I could come up with and worked out management plans- prepared as thoroughly as could possibly be done. Even now, 3+ years on, there's still stuff that needs to be finished (applied for DGR and will now need to change a clause in our constitution) and every day, it feels like something small pops up that I'd missed. That said, because so much work went into getting it set up to start with, we've never had any issues come up and it's been smooth sailing.

Although we plan to move to acreage within the next two years so.. oh god, the many and varied things that will need to be done just to keep paperwork up-to-date, nevermind the logistics of it all..

But anyway.. you get what I'm saying? If you slow down and set yourself up right to start with, minor details can be sorted at a later date and you won't have to deal with drama. Drama does not make for a good rescue environment so you need to plan to prevent it.

An important place to start is with the dogs, themselves. Get your assessment prodecure figured out- dogs testing, cat testing, temp testing, behavioural issues, management of dogs who fail, management of dogs to improve their outcomes (i.e. training, behavioural work, etc.), record keeping of assessments (for legal reasons), things that could go wrong in testing (dog somehow getting to the cat, etc.), preventing anything that could possibly become an issue. And that's just for testing..

It's a HUGE amount to think about but that's why time to do it is so important. It's not just time to prepare but also time to learn everything you need to know- breed laws, dogs laws generally, welfare guidelines, breed-specific information (you don't need to become a greyhound encyclopedia but I've found it helps), health information, as much training knowledge as you can get your hands on, nutrition, how to address problems with recently adopted dogs (because bad word of mouth can ruin your rescue before you really get started) and so on and so forth.

I'd agree that some people could have been a bit more gentle with you (Dol can be a bit scary even for a regular newcomer, let alone one who wants to start a rescue) but it doesn't seem like you've really taken their advice on board. Some people here can be rougher than an elephant making love to a cat but their advice is sound and they do know what they're talking about. No one wants to see you fail, especially not when it's a breed we all care deeply about.