New Rescue

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to be helpful here - in all of my posts I have tried to be helpful and to pre-empt issues that you are likely to face. I have to say I have read the last few pages with increasing frustration though.

Please read the Pound Rounds thread from start to finish. As Plan B said (and as you have witnessed!) most people in any part of the dog world won't agree on anything, and very very rarely do that many people share an opinion about a particular thing. Pound Rounds is a dangerous thing to be associated with, and taking a dog from them is an association, and implicit in it is support for their organisaiton and things they do.

That is why I was so at pains to stress the importance of getting to know the lie of the land from existing, well recognised and well respected groups. Deciding that you didn't want anything to do with them because people here held them in high regard, and then going to PR rings alarm bells for me. When I talk about "competition" in rescue, this is what I mean - I would not financially support your organisation, or PR, but would gladly give my money to GSN. I wouldn't give it to GAP. I donate to particular rescues and not others - and I support some in kind and not others. That's the competition.

If you are worried about people liking your page, following your rescue and making comment here, please re-think talking publicly about what you are doing. If you're going to take the good, you have to take hte bad - understanding the rescue landscape is so, so important.

I am trying to be helpful here - in all of my posts I have tried to be helpful and to pre-empt issues that you are likely to face. I have to say I have read the last few pages with increasing frustration though.

Please read the Pound Rounds thread from start to finish. As Plan B said (and as you have witnessed!) most people in any part of the dog world won't agree on anything, and very very rarely do that many people share an opinion about a particular thing. Pound Rounds is a dangerous thing to be associated with, and taking a dog from them is an association, and implicit in it is support for their organisaiton and things they do.

That is why I was so at pains to stress the importance of getting to know the lie of the land from existing, well recognised and well respected groups. Deciding that you didn't want anything to do with them because people here held them in high regard, and then going to PR rings alarm bells for me. When I talk about "competition" in rescue, this is what I mean - I would not financially support your organisation, or PR, but would gladly give my money to GSN. I wouldn't give it to GAP. I donate to particular rescues and not others - and I support some in kind and not others. That's the competition.

If you are worried about people liking your page, following your rescue and making comment here, please re-think talking publicly about what you are doing. If you're going to take the good, you have to take hte bad - understanding the rescue landscape is so, so important.

No I have no problems with anyone here except one who has proven to just want to be nasty. I mean if you dont like it and have nothing to give the conversation but rude, snarky comments then just dont reply thats easy but like you said have to take the good with the bad so no worries.

I have been reading the thread but boy is it long lol

No I have no problems with anyone here except one who has proven to just want to be nasty. I mean if you dont like it and have nothing to give the conversation but rude, snarky comments then just dont reply thats easy but like you said have to take the good with the bad so no worries.

I know, but you have to also separate what you think of a person from what they say. There are people on this forum whose opinion I really respect and value, but who at the same time I kind of hate. Sometimes I open a thread, see someone's avatar and groan, roll my eyes, or read a post and think ".... b*tch" or "wow, I can't believe they just wrote that" but also.. yep, fair point. Or, yep, I bloody hate *insert name here* but they know a hell of a lot about whatever breed/condition/etc. There are here who I'd NEVER be friends with in real life, and people I'm friends with in real life who I'd hate if I saw them posting here.

There are also some people who I can't make up my mind about - on one hand I think they're completely tactless and rude, but on the other hand they're extremely knowledgeable and experienced, and if I needed advice on something I'd go to them and would be confident in their opinion. So sometimes it's not about being friends with someone - there's no use surrounding yourself wiht yes men who will pat you on the back and be supportive all the time. Sometimes you need tough love, a bit of a wake up slap, someone to tell you to pull your head in, or someone to give you the cold hard truth. If you want to have a good, well respected and longstanding rescue that does good work for dogs, you need to learn from these people and take on board what they say, even if it's not what you want to hear, or isn't delivered in a friendly tone.

ETA - and if people are rude TO you, so much the better. It's the ones who don't tell you what they really think that you need to watch out for.

Edited by Alkhe

I know, but you have to also separate what you think of a person from what they say. There are people on this forum whose opinion I really respect and value, but who at the same time I kind of hate. Sometimes I open a thread, see someone's avatar and groan, roll my eyes, or read a post and think ".... b*tch" or "wow, I can't believe they just wrote that" but also.. yep, fair point. Or, yep, I bloody hate *insert name here* but they know a hell of a lot about whatever breed/condition/etc. There are here who I'd NEVER be friends with in real life, and people I'm friends with in real life who I'd hate if I saw them posting here.

There are also some people who I can't make up my mind about - on one hand I think they're completely tactless and rude, but on the other hand they're extremely knowledgeable and experienced, and if I needed advice on something I'd go to them and would be confident in their opinion. So sometimes it's not about being friends with someone - there's no use surrounding yourself wiht yes men who will pat you on the back and be supportive all the time. Sometimes you need tough love, a bit of a wake up slap, someone to tell you to pull your head in, or someone to give you the cold hard truth. If you want to have a good, well respected and longstanding rescue that does good work for dogs, you need to learn from these people and take on board what they say, even if it's not what you want to hear, or isn't delivered in a friendly tone.

ETA - and if people are rude TO you, so much the better. It's the ones who don't tell you what they really think that you need to watch out for.

Yup and to tell you the truth there are a few here where a few days ago I was sure I could slap them but now I do respect their opinions and are taking in what they say and do know I can learn a lot from them. Well most everyone now but 1 person who hasnt offered much other than snide comments so I just ignore it but erst assured to those that I found rude and grumpy I have come around and see their points as harsh as they may present them.

There's a reason the thread is long, and it's no laughing matter.

There's a reason the thread is long, and it's no laughing matter.

I agree. Definately no laughing matter. :(

Actually Plan B - there IS quite a bit of first hand reporting about the Pound Round issues... from people who have been stung by them after having a completely unsuitable dog shipped to them, to people who have been harassed and threatened by them for voicing their concerns about PR's practices...

I know. What I was saying is, a lot of people can't actually provide factual evidence. All they can do is share their experiences and that's why it can come across as hearsay to a total outsider (even though we all know it's not).

Greylvr, just a heads up, but neither chip number you have listed for your 2 dogs comes up on any register - do you have paperwork to go with them, or can you get a vet to scan the dogs to make sure they DO have chips and the numbers are correct?

T.

Greylvr, just a heads up, but neither chip number you have listed for your 2 dogs comes up on any register - do you have paperwork to go with them, or can you get a vet to scan the dogs to make sure they DO have chips and the numbers are correct?

T.

Yup we had them scanned yesterday and got it documented on the vets paperwork they gave us. I did notice that they did not come up on any of the databases.

Did you get any transfer of owner paperwork for their microchips? NSW CAR form is a C3B for transfer, and P1A for first implantation of the chip. You should have got at least the pink copy of one of those for each dog.

The worry is that until you know that the dogs are actually in your name you can't legally rehome them.

T.

Did you get any transfer of owner paperwork for their microchips? NSW CAR form is a C3B for transfer, and P1A for first implantation of the chip. You should have got at least the pink copy of one of those for each dog.

The worry is that until you know that the dogs are actually in your name you can't legally rehome them.

T.

The paperwork is on its way here. Cant really rehome them now anyway. Lucky cant be desexed until after Christmas and Ina is now getting medical care and is on medication and may still need more medical care (although the vet said it not clearing up is a rare case),so it will be some time until they are ready to be rehomed still so much to do with them. The paperwork should be here next week depending on the postal times. I will stay on it though.

Edited by Greylvr

Is Ina sick? Poor dear... what's wrong with her?

T.

She has a urinary track infection and the vet said she has a bit of vaginitis and tense stomach (could be due to nerves) so they ran a urinalysis and said there was a lot of blood in the urine and some white blood cells so they have her on antibiotics and pain medication. If it doesnt resolve with the medication we have to take her back in to check for polyps or something else going on with the bladder but she said it would be very rare given the age of the dog etc. So I am hoping that its just a UTI.

Awww... sounds painful... can you pass on a soft cuddle from me then please?

T.

Sure will, she was a good girl though. The vet loved her and when she brought her back from the urine collection she said she was a very good girl.