New Rescue

No one wants you to fail - its ridiculous to even consider that is what has occurred here.

Before you move do your homework and know before you get there what you need to do to be legal and cover your bases .Thats not advice designed to make it hard for you or see you be anything other than successful Its because I work with this stuff every day and many problems can be headed off where you dont get the kind of stress you are feeling now and where you and the dogs can live happily ever after.

You learned quickly and the hard way that its not as easy as it sounds be grateful for that and use it to learn. Some people can be doing what they think is good longer than you did and get knocked down when there is more dogs in the mix.

Good intentions are only part of the mix and there is more at stake than just you and the dogs you are in contact with - many people have done a lot of hard work to make private rescue a viable place for people to shop for a dog and part of it is a big picture issue if you really are focused on what is best for the dogs.

excellent post Steve :thumbsup:

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one wants you to fail - its ridiculous to even consider that is what has occurred here.

Before you move do your homework and know before you get there what you need to do to be legal and cover your bases .Thats not advice designed to make it hard for you or see you be anything other than successful Its because I work with this stuff every day and many problems can be headed off where you dont get the kind of stress you are feeling now and where you and the dogs can live happily ever after.

You learned quickly and the hard way that its not as easy as it sounds be grateful for that and use it to learn. Some people can be doing what they think is good longer than you did and get knocked down when there is more dogs in the mix.

Good intentions are only part of the mix and there is more at stake than just you and the dogs you are in contact with - many people have done a lot of hard work to make private rescue a viable place for people to shop for a dog and part of it is a big picture issue if you really are focused on what is best for the dogs.

No I know your not trying to make it hard but some here just need give it up I know there are drama queens but jeez taking joy in one persons stressful time is just a nasty thing to be proud of.

I am no longer on any greyhound FB pages but I did get a call about this today. As said...the greyhound world is small.

Lol really this is that urgent that people are calling around, why not worry about dogs that are dying? Why not make calls for Gap to help drum up donations or help them move some dogs rather than acting like gossiping school girls

Ah actually I do help drum up donations and not for Gap and it was not gossiping, it was purely concern for the greys. I have just done a collection of blankets, food and toys for the greys in kennels in Sydney. I do transports and homechecks out of my own pocket and don't ever say I don't worry about the dogs that are dying :mad

Oh for goodness sake, you are back on about people being "nasty" to you. Not one person was being nasty, everyone has been concerned about the dogs. You are the one making this about you.

The dogs are being shipped around from pillar to post, and you can't be surprised that is raising eyebrows.

Also, hadn't Lucky just finished weaning pups? And the trainer was going to euth her? So who desexed her and when :confused:?

I am no longer on any greyhound FB pages but I did get a call about this today. As said...the greyhound world is small.

Lol really this is that urgent that people are calling around, why not worry about dogs that are dying? Why not make calls for Gap to help drum up donations or help them move some dogs rather than acting like gossiping school girls

Ah actually I do help drum up donations and not for Gap and it was not gossiping, it was purely concern for the greys. I have just done a collection of blankets, food and toys for the greys in kennels in Sydney. I do transports and homechecks out of my own pocket and don't ever say I don't worry about the dogs that are dying :mad

What concern? They were not in danger simply needed foster homes sorry your ever so perfect rescues have never had anything go wrong. I think we did well in handling the situation and the dogs were not ever in danger.

No I know your not trying to make it hard but some here just need give it up I know there are drama queens but jeez taking joy in one persons stressful time is just a nasty thing to be proud of.

NO ONE is taking joy in the dogs having a rough time of things.

Take a deep breath, have a cup of tea and re read the thread when you have a cooler head.

Oh for goodness sake, you are back on about people being "nasty" to you. Not one person was being nasty, everyone has been concerned about the dogs. You are the one making this about you.

The dogs are being shipped around from pillar to post, and you can't be surprised that is raising eyebrows.

Also, hadn't Lucky just finished weaning pups? And the trainer was going to euth her? So who desexed her and when :confused:?

Like I said when she came to us she had stitches which the vet said was most likely from a csection which they may have taken the whole uterus out due to her age etc She will be getting it all worked out after Christmas because she cant have an operation until after that.

NO ONE is taking joy in the dogs having a rough time of things.

Take a deep breath, have a cup of tea and re read the thread when you have a cooler head.

Really concern for the dogs? If anyone was concerned for the dogs they would have messaged me or e-mailed me not done a smear campaign on a forum. Concern for the dogs thats what this is? Glad someone thought to drop me a note to see how the dogs were. Dont try to sugar coat the people here who are lapping this up like warm milk

Again, there is no smear campaign, stop making this about you.

You said on FB you had already placed the dogs, the question was asked here around the welfare of the dogs. To say no one here was concerned about the dogs is firstly, insulting and secondly, completely not true. All posts have been around the welfare of the dogs, until you came on and have tried to turn it into some vendetta against yourself.

I didnt say I had placed the dogs, I said I was looking for foster homes and I contacted a rescue that I had networked with. Anyway I really dont have time for this back and forth shit anymore. I dont have the energy to fight with people you guys enjoy yourselves and have a good life.

For the record I never wanted you to fail. I'm sorry you have been in tears and it has all gone to shit but you did not listen. I am not with ANY rescue group anymore.I have my two foster failures and don't want to foster anymore but I still help out in other ways. FFS you call us drama queens, block people on your FB page and report your two threads here and get them deleted, then you can just get on with it!

I didnt say I had placed the dogs, I said I was looking for foster homes and I contacted a rescue that I had networked with. Anyway I really dont have time for this back and forth shit anymore. I dont have the energy to fight with people you guys enjoy yourselves and have a good life.

You asked for someone to take Ina, then posted that Marina would be taking her, and it was sorted. When asked about Lucky, you said she was with a friend, and you would find out how long the friend could foster her for. But you didn't ask for help finding somewhere for Lucky, just Ina.

I really think you need to re read this thread when you are in a better frame of mind. It sounds like you've had a hell of a few days, which may explain why you are jumping to the conclusion that people are being nasty to you, which is truly not the case.

Rescue is very hard at the best of times and you really need to know what you are doing, especially when you have your own animals and then take rescues in. This is particularly true if you pick a breed that is known to have a prey drive. You need someone you trust - if you don't do it yourself - to really test the dog and have facilities to separate them, should any problems arise.

My advice would be to call an experienced Greyhound Rescue and discuss with them how they do things, maybe call Janet at Greyhound Rescue in Sydney, I am sure she'd be pleased to help you.

I run my own rescue and have worked within rescue groups for many years, when you go it alone it's a huge undertaking and you do need a great deal of experience, a network of support and lots of time and money to make a go of it - and be fair to the dogs you take on, making sound judgements based on knowledge.

I'd be inclined to think that the paperwork for Ina and Lucky might not be forthcoming... the group that sent them to you aren't known for great follow through once they have shipped a dog interstate.

It might be best if you arm yourself with a stat dec and register their chips with the state body yourself. You can't legally adopt them out or transfer them to another group without that paperwork being in order.

Unless you have desexing certificates for either or both dogs, you can't just assume that has been done either - expecially considering the source of both dogs - you may need a vet to surgically explore them to prove it beyond a doubt. At the very least an ultrasound may show whether they have a uterus or not - if not, then the vet may need to open them up to check for same.

Be prepared for some backlash from the group who shipped the dogs to you - they are known for becoming rather nasty with foster carers or adopters if/when the placement doesn't work out... and if you think what the people here are saying is mean/nasty, then you really don't want to be on the receiving end of a Pound Rounds onslaught...

I'm pretty sure no-one here wants you to fail at your endeavour - but a lot of us knew there would be issues the minute you mentioned getting dogs shipped to you from Pound Rounds. As mentioned in a previous post in this thread, this forum is populated with many very seasoned rescuers... people who have done the hard yards and taken their lumps along the way, just as you are experiencing now. All of the advice given (even if it's been very blunt and seems to be nitpicking) has been aimed to try to actually help you NOT get into the situation you now find yourself in. Too many of us have picked up the pieces of failed Pound Rounds placements of late also...

T.

Greylvr, I do hope you can work something out so that you can continue to help the breed.

I really don't think bringing Greys home when you have a cat and a small dog and no means to properly separate, is fraught with danger though.

Good luck :)

Greylvr, I do hope you can work something out so that you can continue to help the breed.

I really don't think bringing Greys home when you have a cat and a small dog and no means to properly separate, is fraught with danger though.

We do have a way to separate them thats why we had no issues with the cat but we will continue to help the breed and we will continue to rescue when we get moved and settled. Life threw a curveball we dealt with it and kept the dogs safe. We had networked before getting the dogs so we did have support from other rescues and one has made the decision to help us and we are very grateful for that. This is a good rescue that didnt feel the need ot down us to make them feel better about themselves. We would never not do right by the dogs.

We do have a way to separate them thats why we had no issues with the cat but we will continue to help the breed and we will continue to rescue when we get moved and settled. Life threw a curveball we dealt with it and kept the dogs safe. We had networked before getting the dogs so we did have support from other rescues and one has made the decision to help us and we are very grateful for that. This is a good rescue that didnt feel the need ot down us to make them feel better about themselves. We would never not do right by the dogs.

No one is downing you, but it is a good lesson on the "cover all your bases and think before you leap" - which everyone tried to get you to listen to, but you were too stubborn to accept. In hindsite, if you had listened to the advice of the wise, experienced rescuers you could have started off your rescue in your new place and had a fantastic first experience, not one that started on the wrong foot and gave the wrong impression to the rescue world, like this.