Breed Speciality Shows & Neuters.

Blakbelgian

Dear All,

Now that Neuters are allowed to compete for their own BOB's & Neuter in show at all breeds and at their Speciality clubs shows, do you feel

that neuters should be allowed to compete in the Special/property classes? eg best head, tail, coat, gait, colored, feet, parent & progeny etc etc

Would you kick up a fuss if a neuter won such classes?

IF your club allows them to, what is the wording on your clubs show schedule? (PMS accepted).

I can not find anything in the VCA rules to state that they can't enter them.

PLEASE NO FLAMMING.

The only class I feel a Neuter could have an advantage is Best Coated.

BB

Pretty Miss Emma,

Property classes or special classes can be whatever a club wants them to be.

For example my breed club uses ther main points of our standard eg best coat, best head, best feet, best gait, best tail (now that we have to have one), best colored (other than black), best brace, best Parent & progeny or best Owner Bred & Handled.

also have best Q C, (Qualifying Certificate) for those with more than just conformation title. For these classes the club usually contracts

trainee judges as its one way for them to learn about the breed.

Perhaps other breed clubs have different property classes????

BB

P.S I don't see why a Neuter can NOT enter any of these classes except perhaps coat.

Edited by Blakbelgian

If you have enough neuters entered why not try and get their own property classes.

Maybe donate a sash for the winners or ask for sash donations for the neuter classes.

How about asking the breeders of your breed to donate. As neuter classes are starting to become more popular the breeders may be happy to put some of their better stock on the Neuter Register and have it in the ring.

Just another way of promoting your breed to those that do not wish to keep an entire but would be happy to show a neuter.

Bugger bugger

Spoke to Janet at the VCA, No they can't enter these classes as they are on a Neuter main register not THE main register.

BB

I'd be checking that out.

Property classes aren't ''official'' sanctioned classes.

They are more a novelty class for want of a better word, determined by the club.

Do they even require official ANKC approved judges?

If you are entered in the show you should be eligble to pay your couple of bucks on the day & enter the property classes.

My understanding is that there is also only one main register... the dogs competing in neuter classes are still on the same register (their number doesn't change) they are just listed as neuter :)

+1

I have my orig cert. Just has a stamp on it. Neuters HAVE to be main reg to start.

I'm the show secretary for the german shorthaired pointer club of victoria, and the last two years, neuters have been allowed to compete in the veterans class (non competing), and also the class for dogs that have a qualifying certificate in say obedience, retrieving, agility etc. I'm sure I rang the VCA about this and they said it was a domestic decision, ie up to the club.

I'm the show secretary for the german shorthaired pointer club of victoria, and the last two years, neuters have been allowed to compete in the veterans class (non competing), and also the class for dogs that have a qualifying certificate in say obedience, retrieving, agility etc. I'm sure I rang the VCA about this and they said it was a domestic decision, ie up to the club.

We received contrary advise :) - we contacted the rules and regs committee (Dogs Vic) before our last show and were told that neuters were not eligible to enter most property classes (other than a veterans special class / sweepstake as long as it isn't an ordinary class eligible for challenge).

The reason we were given is that because the rules are "silent" on the issue (ie when the neuter challenge/championship rules were introduced there was no corresponding change also giving neuters other "showing rights" so to speak in any other type of class). So therefore the basic rule/premise that neuters can't compete in conformation stands (except where there are specific written exceptions in the rules).

Personally I think they should be able to compete in property classes - these are largely "fun" classes anyway. Although for many breeds I can see a good reason for excluding them from a "best coat" class.

In my breed (Border Terriers), here in NSW, neuters are allowed to enter the property classes at our speciality show annually - have done for years. I presume that it would be the same for all breeds in NSW if they have speciality breed shows with property classes - or maybe the clubs are allowed to just say no?

We have gait, pelt, head and foot classes.....

Our Special classes are the main points about our breed and get trainees to judge it so they learn about the breed.

Except for coat, let them enter as many as they want.

Armahni, do you remember which person you spoke to from the rules & reg committee?

BB

Our Special classes are the main points about our breed and get trainees to judge it so they learn about the breed.

Except for coat, let them enter as many as they want.

Armahni, do you remember which person you spoke to from the rules & reg committee?

BB

Will PM you

When i ran our speciality shows, and this was before even the neuter register, I would have let a desexed dog enter in properties (and probably did). They arent competiting for a challenge certificate, the properties arent regular classes, so I don't see what the harm is.

Hell, in NSW property classes are a bit of fun and are an enter on the day type of class. Much better in my opinion.

It is ridiculous that we dont have standard rules across the country.