Would My Dog Have Rocks In His Stomach?

booge

I have a boxer that unfortunately eats his own poo. He normally does his business in an area of the yard which is covered with Lilydale topping(small gravel), I know he would be eating some amount of gravel with his poo but would this pass through him? Or would it be slowly building up inside his stomach? He's not ill and is otherwise normal.

I have no idea about the rocks, sorry. :confused: Hopefully others will be able to answer that question.

My boxer was a poo-eater when he was younger. I found sprinkling unsweetened pineapple juice on his food did help to put him off, and he hasn't done it since.

I don't have an answer in your particular case but I guess it is possible. One of my friends a few years ago ended up with her puppy in emergency surgery though due to him having comsumed rocks and they caused an intestinal blockage. Your vet may be able to tell from palpating, and it may be worth at least having a conversation with them about it. I'd think because they are really small it would hopefully be less of a problem than larger rocks.

I've started my poo eater on some Wild Forage. That is supposed to help. It is a mineral supplement according to the label.

From her tendency to vigorously search out the stuff and her addiction to certain grasses, I was convinced something must be missing in her diet.

We'll see in due course.

Yes it's entirely possible he has some rocks in his stomach. As for whether that will do any harm long-term it could be a bit luck of the draw. Ages ago I had a 6-7 month old puppy who ate gravel, you could actually feel the rocks in her stomach :eek: We blocked her access to the gravel and she pooped out lumps for about 2 weeks, and lost about a kilo in weight in that time too. She lived to over 15 so obviously did her no harm long-term (she gave up eating rocks after those 2 weeks too). I'd be inclined to try and break to poo eating cycle so break the rock eating cycle too.

one of my previous lab pup ate heaps of rocks and she poo'ed out heaps of rocks. not sure if any stayed in her though. I do know of other dogs that have had rocks or other objects (socks, tennis balls etc) clog their insides though.

Have you seen any in his poo? If you know he is eating them and you don't see any come out then they must be building up in there.

When I was nursing there was a whole litter of 3 mth old Dobermann pups with rickets that came to the clinic with distended stomachs. Yep full of stones/topping. Pups did pass the stones. Their compromised diet was what lead to the stone eating. Thankfully pups were surrendered & mum desexed. I adopted one of the worst affected pups, after months in casts & careful diet choices she lived to 14yrs of age. :)

I would be vigilant if I saw/considered that my dog has eaten something abnormal as blockages can and do occur.

One of our girls decided she wanted to eat rocks occasionally. We noticed it first when she had an xray taken when she was pregnant. Never did her any harm and she always got them back out.

We've since had the gravel area paved over.

We've had plenty of poo eaters. It's a myth that it's because of something missing in their diet - that's not to say it's not but it's not the only sole reason. We haven't had one case where a dog has ceased eating dog poo because of supplements.

We have had some fosters go through phases.

Some eat their own, some eats others and not their own. We find the best thing is to not make a big deal of it, just distract and pick up.

As for the rocks issue, can you block off access to this area?

We have a foster at the moment who occasionally eats small rocks but so far, everything has been passed. At one point we suspected a blockage and he was x-rayed but that came up all clear (ended up being a back problem- he looked like he was straining to toilet so we assumed blockage, turns out squatting was just uncomfortable because of his back).

I'd definitely to blocking access to the area though and cleaning up poo as soon as it happens.

Add fresh pineapple to his dinner for a couple of weeks - it does stop some of them but sometimes they start the habit again. It'll never stop them eating other dogs' poo when you are out walking - eeeeeekkkk.

Yes dogmad quite correct.

We should always try and remember to tell the owners of Poo eaters that it only stops the dog eating its own Poo when pineapple is added, if the dog eats other dogs Poo, you will have to feed the other dogs pineapple too.

I have always been told that it something in pineapple that makes the Poo inedible.

Usually if you feed enough Pineapple (I use plain label crushed) for long enough they stop!!! but you will always find the exception to rule. :)

Pineapple does nothing for him, as far as blocking access to the area.....no can do. The yard isn't big enough, I'd be blocking half of it and the rest is either paved or garden/treed and not accessible for big dogs. I'll just ask the vet at the next visit I suppose. Thanks all.