Wth? That's Not An Aussie Shepherd!

Ker

I just called the store. They are $295. Get real!

Did you mention the fact that their pups are not what they say they are?

A couple of years ago PAWS got a call from someone wanting to surrender a Chihuahua puppy - it was purebred they said, bought from a Hornsby pet shop. A present for their daughter who was going overseas (WTF??). They had the dog for 2 weeks and then daughter went so wanted to get rid of it. It was being kept outside in the meantime they said. We were soooo worried about a tiny Chi pup being outside in winter. Imagine our surprise when they were wheeling this huge puppy in a shopping trolley - it was a kelpie cross ...

The bolded bit absolutely horrifies me. :( The disposable dog syndrome is just so maddening.

Speaking of petshops misleading people...if you believe the petshop I got Ella from (11 years ago before I knew better) she was supposed to be a rottie x English mastiff...

at only 24 kilos and looking mostly kelpie, somehow I don't think so.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't just happen with pet shops. I have met a lab * who was sold by a registered breeder with papers as a pedigree lab. I have never seen a lab with brindle points.

Umm might want to check your facts before getting all high and mighty. :)

Labs (purebred registered Labs) can actually have brindle and sometimes tan points.

Here you go; http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/mismarks.html

Well there you go - never heard of a brindle pointed lab, or a tan and black lab or a spotted lab. Those spotted ones at the end are just weird. Anyone here ever seen any of these markings in Australian show circles. I have seen a working-line litter with white feet. Apparently the Queen owed the grand sire and he had white feet.

:( Someone at the park yesterday told me they saw Aussies in the Pet shop... I wonder if they meant these ones..

Surely there couldn't be another lot?

I hope not, but trying to remember what he said I think he said they were advertised as Aussie's crossed with something. I'll have to ask him next time I see him.. icon_smile_mad.gif

There are some so called 'breeders' of Aussies that sell to pet shops in SA, so it could well have been a different lot too, unfortunately. I have seen an "Aussie Shepherd cross" adult who looked more like a Border Terrier cross a Kelpie. It seems like a nice name to give medium sized non-bull breed muttlies!

Good on you for acting on Ker :thumbsup:

Like others have said, I reckon someone has made up a "breed" name for a cross, maybe not realising it's an actual breed.

How annoying that there are going to be people out there saying they have an Aussie Shepherd when they have one of those pups :( No wonder people often think Aussie's are not pure breeds.

Talking about made-up breed names, my local pet shop has Tibetan Speagles for sale for Christmas :eek:

Um....WTF? Tibetan Spaniel Beagle crosses?!?! :eek:

Why would you do that on purpose?!

I'm by no means an expert, but they look a lot more like pure bred "black and tan mongrels" to me, very similar to my newest one, who's also a pure "black and tan medium-coated mongrel"

:eek: at those pure labs!!!

There's a PP at a shopping centre not far from my house. I used to like going in there when it was busy and making them uncomfortable, usually with conversations similar to:

me: "is this a registered purebred **insert breed here**?"

them: "yes of course, all of our puppies are 100% pure bred"

me: "so it comes with papers?"

them: "oh no, we're not allowed to sell them with papers"

me: "okay, that's fine, but since it's a registered purebred pup that you're charging **insert ridiculous pricetag** for, I assume it's been health tested?"

them: "of course, blah blah blah, super healthy, possibly a superhero"

me: "are you able to tell me what the parents hip and elbow scores were please?"

etc etc until I would get bored and leave. I never "caused a scene" (I didn't want to be dismissed by customers as a nutjob), but it was always loud enough so that many of the customers could hear them flailing. I felt bad sometimes for putting the poor salespeople in such an awkward position, but I figure that they should do their homework, and not work for PP.

I haven't been back there in a while, to be honest the amount of people in the store always depresses me.

pet shops really depress me, especially when I see ACDs or huskies in the window and thinking those puppy buyers have no idea what they are on for :(

And then to see someone try and sell an Aussie thats not an aussie makes me mad (love aussies to bits). If I were to ever see a belgian shepherd in a pet shop window I would most likely flip out and absolutely lose it.

I was at a dog park a while back and someone said" oh what breed is your dog" , I replied with belgian shepherd, they said "oh so is mine!"..... Um, no its not, it's a fat GSD mix. Idiot.

There were white shepherds at the PP round the corner from me with huge round bellies and seriously red skin and both times I saw them they weren't doing anything.

I stopped to look and there were others at the window saying how cute they were, so I said to my hubby loudly, those pups would have come from a puppy mill or something. They left after I said that.

Well there you go - never heard of a brindle pointed lab, or a tan and black lab or a spotted lab. Those spotted ones at the end are just weird. Anyone here ever seen any of these markings in Australian show circles. I have seen a working-line litter with white feet. Apparently the Queen owed the grand sire and he had white feet.

This is supposed to be a pure lab, her litter mates were all yellows and one black, the owners had two labs and insisted that no other dog had got to the bitch. Both adults were registered but the owners were not

post-23033-0-25179400-1354965160_thumb.jpg

Edited by behluka

This is supposed to be a pure lab, her litter mates were all yellows and one black, the owners had two labs and insisted that no other dog had got to the bitch. Both adults were registered but the owners were not

If you look at the link posted previously, you will see similarly marked 'splash' pups. The ones I love are the ones described as Hailstone Labradors. I don't know that there have been any around recently though.

Getting back to the OP, I will be interested to hear the outcome in relation to reporting etc. Did you get a photo of the sign with the pups? That may help.

post-5072-0-41715800-1355022608_thumb.jpg

She's beautiful! :love:

There are some so called 'breeders' of Aussies that sell to pet shops in SA, so it could well have been a different lot too, unfortunately.

:( This is not good at all! And against ANKC rules!! Those poor puppies, I just hope their new owners know what they may be in for.

There are some so called 'breeders' of Aussies that sell to pet shops in SA, so it could well have been a different lot too, unfortunately.

:( This is not good at all! And against ANKC rules!! Those poor puppies, I just hope their new owners know what they may be in for.

There are some Italian Greyhound breeders doing the same - at Iggy Rescue we already had one surrendered to us after 3 months of ownership. The dogs are sold but without papers.

I got to talk to someone at the park about a similar thing today, she said she spends part of the week living in Cooma as her partner lives/works there full time and when she was there the other day she saw puppies in the pet shop that looked just like Quinn, same coat pattern (blue merle) and even the multicoloured eyes, she said.

I said" oh really, wow" in a chatty tone. Then she said "I told my partner there's lady at the dog park who has a dog just like that and she's such a lovely dog, I think we should get one of the puppies".

I think she was only half serious but I said to her "hmmm, not many Aussie Shepherd breeders would sell to pet shops, they tend to be quite selective about how their puppies are raised and which homes they go to, so probably if they're in a pet shop they wouldn't be the best bred and raised..." She replied "oh, I hadn't even thought of that... hmm good point"

So I don't think they were actually about to run out and buy a pup from a shop but at least she took in the info and will hopefully think before buying from a shop in future :thumbsup: