Dr Karen Overall's Protocol For Relaxation

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Malcolm had trouble at first with the 15sec sit and then the 20 count. Since I'm training relaxation and not a sit/stay as such I don't mind if he goes and lies down or something, but I was initially getting a Jack in the Box, sit-stand-wiggle-scootch, am I sitting good enough? will raising a paw earn me a treat? do you want a high 5? shall I lean like the Tower of Pisa? (seriously :laugh: ).

Then it twigged that he didn't have to DO anything, he only had to be still, calm and attentive.

We did task 2 today. My goodness the kid is hilarious. We got all the way through but he huffed impatiently on a few occasions. :laugh: I think he thought we were going for a walk when I put on my shoes (can't jog without them due to injuries). So we'll be repeating it again tomorrow, unless our VB says otherwise.

How's Thistle going?

Since you know you want to see it....

Here's the Leaning Tower of Malcolm

11algu0.jpg

Oh my god - he's too cute in his little tie. Ha ha ha ... That should have had a warning on it. :heart:

Reminds me of Peanutbutter and Jeremy

081601_peanutbutter02.gif

Haha we are still day 1! She's too excited? Anticipating commands and tricks. She wants to DO something so I can never get past the 15 on count down before she offers a behaviour.

She's whines nearly the whole time too and her tail is non stop wagging. So i hold off on rewards until slow wag or no wag. Just calm attentive (already tweaking the protocol to suit us XD )

Leaning tower lol! Relax Malcolm!

Edited by Thistle the dog

That was his Howloween :grimace: costume from a couple of years ago. :D

We had a follow up with our VB yesterday. She is impressed with our progress with the protocol — apparently taking three days to get to the end of Task 1 is actually very good?! and Malcolm is a fast learner, or at least he is now that he's less anxious. :o

We are still on Task 2, but my point is... don't be dismayed Thistle! Like TSD says, break it down as need be and keep chipping away. I'm sure your girl will get there as she can do some pretty darn impressive things in her OB classes/training. If she can stay still while you operate your contraptions around her this should be a piece of cake once she 'gets' it. :)

About 2/3 into Task 2 today I accidentally dropped the handout right in front of Malcolm which startled him. Although he didn't jump out of his skin it proved too much and he walked off having had enough. Up until then he was going pretty well though, so we might only need one or two more days on Task 2.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

I'm happy with how Task 2 is now looking, so we're progressing with Task 3 tomorrow. Task 2 took a bit longer than Task 1, he seemed to get a bit stuck, but I did miss some days too.

I'm not sure how I'm going to fit all these extra steps into my living room, though! :o

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since my last update. I was away for a few weeks so the protocol was put on hold, and when we came back Malcolm's anxiety had spiked again, so it was a slow build up to where we were. Things have settled again though, and we tried Task 4 for the first time yesterday.

I was surprised by what he struggled with but then realised I shouldn't have been. He was fine with me walking and jogging around him in a circle, but the fast walking saw some furious tail wagging so I'll need to reduce the number of steps and speed. I remembered afterwards that fast walking and running are usually triggers for him, even though he finds me jogging around boring now. :)

I'm glad Dr Overall renamed them Tasks instead of Days. :laugh: We have not come very far in two months in terms of tasks. But his anxiety and impulse control has improved with this and medication, and hopefully we'll be able to build some momentum again.

Are you still following the protocol Thistle?

Great PK! The thing is, no matter what you're training...

TRAIN THE DOG IN FRONT OF YOU.

Not your expectations of what they can or cannot do, not your judgement of their personality (eg stubborn, bored, independent). Just look at the behaviour you've got and the behaviour you want. Then sort out a plan to take you from A to B.

Great PK! The thing is, no matter what you're training...

TRAIN THE DOG IN FRONT OF YOU.

Not your expectations of what they can or cannot do, not your judgement of their personality (eg stubborn, bored, independent). Just look at the behaviour you've got and the behaviour you want. Then sort out a plan to take you from A to B.

Ain't that the truth!

Thank you! :)

Yes and no XD I found *I* was the on getting bored while Thistle just sat there. I think I will read through the paper trail and incorporate those things I think she finds challenging into our usual reward-for-calm-or-relaxed behaviour. Instead, I have focussed on starting to do BAT 2.0 type stuff. I was really heartened by how much looser and calmer her body language became when given choices (granted, she can not always have choices because life ) - and I have also been rewarding much more frequently at the start of training sessions/challenging situations then slowly increasing difficulty like the calm session do.

but really value the protocol as a list of things to do randomly around dog to help her practice her inner calm buddha XD

I will look at the guide again and see what we can do. I find myself trying to do lots of little bits of things as the need arises that other things, like the protocol (even tho it's a great base to set up) tend to fall to the side.

Edited by Thistle the dog

i think my excel sheet needs to be bigger :laugh: it has just been tracking training classes,think it needs a sheet on things to try like protocol and BAT and how they go/what works better

yes lots of videos :) i should share more often, on instagram a gsd owner gives me lots of helpful advice and feedback. mostly on obedience but also on calm with people (their gsd is very HA but you wouldnt know it from the calm and focus. different to thistle i realise, but yes pick up lots of things no matter where. what i dont use for us, maybe for future dogs?)

Task 4 is shaping up well and we should soon progress to 5.

I've also started running through the protocol with my parents' 12 week old puppy. It is seriously cute and I don't know whether I should be amazed at his ability to keep still but I am. He's also randomly sitting and looking at me. Not sure what to do? Sit. Want attention? Sit. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really struggling with the protocol of late. Malcolm seemed to be going from strength to strength and we completed Task 6, but since then he's been brilliant one day and falling apart the next. We're currently adjusting his meds so hopefully that will help. I feel like I'm somehow screwing it up though, and impeding his recovery in the process. :(

I'm really struggling with the protocol of late. Malcolm seemed to be going from strength to strength and we completed Task 6, but since then he's been brilliant one day and falling apart the next. We're currently adjusting his meds so hopefully that will help. I feel like I'm somehow screwing it up though, and impeding his recovery in the process. :(

Hey PK - go easy on yourself. Honestly it sounds like you're doing everything you can. Train the dog in front of you. That might mean going back a few days to build confidence again. Because as Bob Bailey says - Pavlov is always on your shoulder. And I will also say please video - I use my iPad on a tripod and the stuff it picks up is just mind blowing. It's made me a much better trainer. And more patient.

Thank you, TSD. I appreciate your feedback and support.

Malcolm has since had two better days in a row, and better days mean the protocol is more manageable too. I also took him back a number of tasks, but I don't think that was the trigger as on his bad days he can't even sit for more than a couple of seconds without shaking and having an intense, wired looked about him. Perhaps the med adjustment is kicking in.

I'll try to work out how to record us both. I've recorded some trick training and CC/DS by hand which was insightful, but you miss out on a chunk of data when the camera's only pointed at the dog.

• 1 month later...