Another Puppy Farmer Charged

SHWNGO

http://dandenong-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/tooradin-puppy-farm-owner-faces-115-charges/

A TOORADIN business owner has pleaded guilty to 115 charges relating to the illegal operation of a puppy farm.

Derul Van Hollis, 68, fronted Dandenong Magistrates' Court today after four adjournments of the case.

His solicitor David Starvaggi entered a guilty plea on his client's behalf and asked Magistrate Brian Barrow for an adjournment until February.

Leader viewed the charge sheets for the case, which includes 115 charges against Mr Van Hollis and a separate 115 charges against Demfield Ltd, which trades as Tooradin Knackery.

Both sets of charges are being heard concurrently and include conducting a breeding and rearing establishment that was not registered.

The case comes after Casey Council executed a search warrant at the South Gippsland Highway business on January 16, 2012.

The case will return to the court on February 28.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

according to the Age, he was charged under "Oscars Law" - hadn't actually heard that had passed into being yet, certainly think all the people campaigning saying they want Oscars law have heard it passed into being in 2011. Or maybe I have just been asleep and not noticed Big Ted sneaking yet another law change by us all

No mention of cruelty.

Quote In the Dandenong Magistrates Court on Thursday, Derul Van Hollis and his company Demfield Pty Ltd pleaded guilty to running an unregistered breeding business and failing to comply with the code of practice for breeding and rearing establishments.

The prosecution, by Casey Council, was the first brought under "Oscar's law", named after a puppy rescued from a dog-breeding factory in central Victoria in 2011.

Magistrate Brian Barrow blocked a media request for access to the brief of evidence, after counsel for the council, Brett Melke, argued that although the defendant had pleaded guilty, a substantial number of issues were still in dispute.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/breeder-pleads-guilty-to-puppy-farm-charges-20121206-2axp3.html#ixzz2ELv5k5P7

There's no such thing as "Oscars Law" it exists only in the imaginations of the AR loonies, so no one's going to be charged under that any time soon.

It would be interesting to see the list of charges

:flame:

AR loonies

I assume you are calling Animal Rescuers loonies

IMB that constitutes the promotion of neglect and omission and the blind ignorance of injustice towards senitient beings less fortunate than ourselves.

It would be interesting to see what you really meant and how I must have miscontrued the acurate sense of your response.

:(

Edited by Tralee

I'm not sure how one could think of Debra Tranter as an "animal rescuer" , she's more of a tresspassing theif and certainly an animal rights loonie..

People seem happy enough to follow her though and to put faith in something ( Oscars Law) , which is never to be. They can't even work out the definition of what a "puppy farmer" is, let alone call for legislation to stop it.

Edited by Pav Lova

There is a difference between animal RIGHTS and animal rescue Tralee and there is no such thing as Oscars law in law.

Before anyone gets too caught up in all of this before we know what it is they have been charged with be aware that new laws were bought into Victoria which enable them to charge people for not having their Domestic Animal Licences or their development applications in place.They dont need to be keeping them in poor conditions or treating them cruelly for charges to be made or to be found guilty of this crime . Do you all have a current development application and approvals to enable you to breed dogs from your property ?

Noticed you edited your post Trespass is never necessary .If there is reason to believe someone is doing something which would require someone coming in and catching them there is already a process in place which can be done legally .

Edited by Steve

Steve I have no idea what dogs were involved or if the conditions were sub standard....I was commenting on the article that said the person allegedly was running a puppy farm (it isnt proven)

Edited by redangel

Yep but an illegal puppy farm in Victoria is anyone who breeds a dog without the necessary paperwork and approvals and who doesnt fit exactly the requirements for breeding establishments This may be that they had a couple of entire dogs and a litter and didnt cover the paperwork,didnt have their dogs registered or have the correct kennel facilities such as a disused piggery. You need to understand big commercial kennels which do breed designer dogs in disused piggeries wouldnt be those ones being charged because they have the necessary approvals and tick all of the boxes for keeping records etc

Ill wait before I make judgement and I would advise others do so too.

In the last few months many very small breeders including registered purebred have had visits from council in Victoria to ensure they have a kennel area , which fits the requirements for the codes and have been given 28 days to comply if they like them but there isn't anything in law to say they have to give someone time to comply before they charge them. One this week was a working dog breeder who now has to decide on building something that resembles a piggery or desex their dogs but they could have just as easily been charged for being an illegal puppy farm.

Edited by Steve