Goodbye My Gorgeous Stevie

*kirty*

Yesterday I had to make the heart-breaking decision to have my 'foster' dog Stevie PTS. Unfortunately she developed Canince Complusive Disorder - she was a severe spinner. We tried everything to stop it - from behaviour modification to drugs to natural therapies - but nothing helped. She would spin all day every day, and always in the same direction. As a result, her back was arched and her legs were severely uneven - one side were strong, the other side were weak. She became emaciated despite being fed more and more food. Watching her spin out of control in the heat yesterday was the final straw. I couldn't leave her like that. :(

Stevie came to me when she was 8 weeks old through my work. She was born completely blind (optic nerve hypoplasia) and the breeder was going to have her PTS. But both the breeder and myself saw a spark in her, and I offered to take her on and see how she went. She took life in her stride. She loved meeting new people and going out on adventures. She became more cautious as she matured, but she was such an honest dog and she always tried her hardest. At home, she was perfect. She loved the kids and she would hoon around the yard like any visual dog would. She constantly amazed people with her spirit and her courage.

I knew fairly early on that she would be with me for life, but I hoped it would be a long life. At the start of the year when my son was diagnosed with diabetes, she started spinning. It started off slowly but quickly progressed to a point where we couldn't stop her. She began damaging her tail and no amount of bittering agent would stop her from chewing it. I don't believe the spinning was linked to her lack of sight, but I guess I'll never know for sure. All I know is that my heart is shattered.

Goodbye Stevie, I wish I could have fixed you. I hope you are now resting at the bridge. Please wait for me xxx

A32823DB-1087-47E6-A89C-E1B8AEE48987-850-0000024974CCC8DF.jpg

86D54E2F-5C24-4A83-8A07-7CE917C6FD55-850-000002497B7D99E5.jpg

A4606A3C-6837-4244-B0C4-8E0D7117091C-850-0000024983E9D787.jpg

E15ADCFE-3DD6-46BE-ABC5-DA78E4F64A98-850-000002499770A067.jpg

DD5693F7-3C3E-4653-BDD4-3E5F63FB027E-850-000002499DCA773F.jpg

:cry:

Kirty..you showed Stevie such a wonderful rich life , and she enjoyed it all ..the walks by the river- her paddle pool, her visits, hooning with the other dogs .It was such a pleasure to be able to share her story on D O L .

She was beautiful ...and you did your very best .

Run straight & free, Stevie .

:rainbowbridge:

:cry: Im so sorry to hear of your loss of Stevie. How totally shattering to have to say goodbye, my heart goers out to you & your family. Please take comfort in knowing that for her short life you did everything to enrich it with love & experiences she may have never had to opportunity to enjoy had she not found a carer in you.

oh kirty my heart stopped when i saw stevie's name. you gave her such an amazing life by letting her safely reach her potential in a world without sight. the stories of her experiences with you were so heartwarming. i know nothing about ccd - it sounds so insidious. stevie didn't deserve this and neither did you or you family. some things just effing suck. :cry:

oh kirty my heart stopped when i saw stevie's name. you gave her such an amazing life by letting her safely reach her potential in a world without sight. the stories of her experiences with you were so heartwarming. i know nothing about ccd - it sounds so insidious. stevie didn't deserve this and neither did you or you family. some things just effing suck. :cry:

Well said PS.

So sorry Kirty :(

Edited by harley

Oh no kirty....I am ever so sorry for your huge loss :cry: I am just so shocked. You gave Stevie such a wonderful life. You 'showed' her the world. She saw everything through your very patient, loving eye's.

I followed your amazing efforts with her right from the beginning with the greatest admiration for you & your beautiful Stevie. What a heart breaking thing to happen to such a courageous girl.

R.I.P. Stevie girl. You were such an inspiration girl & so very brave :angel::rainbowbridge:

Edited by BC Crazy

Run Free Stevie, and wait for Kirty and the Family at the bridge.

Your story has always made me admire you - you gave Stevie a chance that he would never have experienced...

Please take care of yourself. Hugs to you and all who knew Stevie.

You gaver her a life she would never have experienced if it wasnt for you and I know you are not alone in shedding tears for the beautiful Stevie, cause I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face :cry:

So very sorry for you loss and thank you for sharing her story with us

RIP Stevie