2013 Training Goals!

Guest Panzer Attack!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old boy has been having trouble with one of his knees so I am not sure what his little bodie will handle (more the going backwards in rally). And the youngster was attacked by a stray dog going on 3 weeks ago, physically she is fine but her mental state will need some work :(.

Me -

Learn what all those letters mean... :o

Get fit & healthy so that I can train with the dogs better

Give both dogs some training time every day and exercise every day

Tick off my goals that lead me to the next dog I am planning for, maybe not 2013 but hopefully by the following year!

Chester & Lola -

Work on improving impulse control

Longer & more reliable stay & recall

100% LLW

Chester particularly:

Stop injuring himself or getting sick

Less anxious, more happy dog

and a heap of other doggy goals that aren't really training related but more me getting my butt into gear.

Lollipup - they are some awesome goals :-)

I can't help with many, but can help with your first coment - here are two sites that describe some of the titles available. There are over 200 avilable for a range of disciplines including showing/conformation, obedience, agility, dancing with dogs, herding, tracking, field trials, retrieving, endurance test etc (none for sledding in Aus yet though).

http://northernsuburbsdogclub.org/NSDC_&_ANKC_titles_and_certificates.htm

http://www.actcdc.org.au/training/titles.html

One sport that these sites miss is the Rally Obedience titles. RallyO is a new sport that started in Aus in 2012 and is heaps of fun. If you have ever considered trialling look into RallyO as it is (IMHO) a great place to start - less pressure and you can talk and pat your dogs on course. Titles are: RN - Rally Novice, RA - Rally Advanced, RE - Rally Excellent and RAE - Rally Advanced Excellent.

Hi all, I thought I'd share this. It has certainly helped me when I fall into the bad habit of comparing my achievements with others that are more advanced.

Podcast #6 "Our goals all serve the same purpose" by Daisy Peel here http://www.daisypeel.com/podcast-archive

In around 5 minutes Daisy eloquently states how our goals are all the same - regardless of if you are a raw novice or competing at an international elite level.

Clover- that's a bummer - on both counts. It does set you back a bit - good luck with the rehab - of both kinds.

Lollipup - I loved reading your goals - like Tumbleweed, I thought they were awesome, because you're looking at what your dogs need, and what you need to get a nice firm foundation for them. That is so important, and sometimes we're guilty of forgetting that in the pursuit of the letters before and after their names. I know I can be. We'll be looking forward to progress reports. :D

Our goals for 2013, though again, I'm not sure how much time I'll have to get to trials! We didn't even get to any agility trials this year! :o

Jedi

- RA Title (needs 2 passes)

- ?CDX pass

- JDX pass

- SD pass

- GD pass

- ?HT pass

Ahsoka

- CCD title (needs 1 pass)

- RA title (needs 2 passes)

- ?JD pass

- ?HT pass

Revan

- CD title (needs 2 passes)

- RA title (needs 2 passes)

- PT title

- FD title

- FDX title

- FDCh title

Ok so since the puppy thing isnt happening I thought I would just stick to doing something with the 3 I have, and I sound so greedy wanting another one :laugh:

I think the main thing would be is to just get back into it. Start at the bottom and go on from there and really focusing on well teaching good focus. And also just make sure they enjoy it. And get into agility with Fly

It may be pushing it but I would like at least one of them ready for RN sometime this year :D

Edited by whitka

2012 will be hard to beat for me - don't think it will be possible!

But here is what I'd like to achieve this year:

Trixie

ADM Title - may take longer than this year though lol - need 7 passes

More JDM passes, got the title, so the aim is speed, consistency, enthusiasm, and general tightening up around the course

Some open passes would be good, need to do more distance stuff, she just doesn't get it lol

SDX passes, GD passes, SP passes

Training wise it's all about clearer cues from me, better handling, and fine tuning to get some speed and enthusiasm back and continue having fun running the Trixie Bean

Kyzer

Some ADM passes - doubt he could get 7 in a year though for a title but we'll give it a go

JDM title - 5 passes required - may be doable?

Some Open passes would be good

Training wise it's all about having fun and keeping him engaged :)

Should be a fun low stress year :D

Guest Clover

We might be good to go for the rally goals with Elvis again, turns out he had an embedded grass seed in his foot on the leg he'd been lame on. I will see how he goes at training though :).

We might be good to go for the rally goals with Elvis again, turns out he had an embedded grass seed in his foot on the leg he'd been lame on. I will see how he goes at training though :).

:thumbsup: Good news! Have lots of fun :D .

well Gabby got one of our goals in 2012 and that was our udx title

2013 goals

Gabby

- Grand Champion need another 4 more legs

- would like to have passes in open and ud would be nice (would be for the end of year SACA awards The Golden Dumbell)

- Would like passes in agility jumping and games

- Would like to get into dancing with dogs competitions

but most of all one healthy dog that want to enjoy doing things

Inka

- Passes in agility and jumping and games

- Passes in open obedience as my friend is going to put Inka through open

Islay

- A friends dog that I am training and hopefully get to compete this year in CCD and CD hopefully and we also having a bash at agility

Ok I've decided to commit my goals to writing :laugh:

Quinn

CCD title

RN title

Seeing as all I've done with her so far is one session (term) of Obedience at the training club this may be a bit ambitious but I've no doubt she's capable of it, it will just be up to me to put the work in. The aim for her achieving some titles (and getting health tested) this year is so that we can hopefully breed her next January. She's having her first season now so if she has a six month cycle the timing will be good for next Jan, when she'll be 26 months old.

Saxon

RN title

Maybe, and just for fun, Quinn will be the main focus (sorry boys).

Riley

Sort out his bullying aggression towards puppies :mad

Get him further with Flyball, depending on my time commitments with work.

And mostly, keep it all fun and focus on the bond with each of them :)

OK, interesting exercise to sort through, for each of the different sports, and what is achievable

Shandy:

DWD

Heelwork to Music Novice(1 pass down, 2 to go)

DWD Freestyle Novice (only one pass to go)

Work up Intermediate routines and start competing that, with passes in at least one

Rally

Rally E (one pass down)

Have a go at some RAE

Obedience

Slowly work on getting on getting her confidence back with the dumb bell (after her jaw issues)

Maintain the rest of her open work

Some CDX passes, if the above comes together

Start on some scent discrimination for amusement

Zimri (currently 14 weeks!)

Move through Obedience levels at club, with an aim to entering Rally at least before the end of the year

Plenty of trick and rear end awareness, with the aim of at least a Starters DWD Freestyle routine before the end of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbsup: Good news! Have lots of fun :D .

And off again his knee's are pretty buggered :(. Ah well he will have a happy retirement, and is well cared for and that's all that matters.

Alright, pretty sure I have my goals sorted now!

For me, it is to train one dog each day, for 10 minutes a day. For relationship buidling, mental stimualtion, and because they thoroughly enjoy it. And my individual goals for them:

Cherry

Even though she's now retired, I might put her in a Rally-O comp now and then just for fun, but my main goal for her is to give her the best and most comfortable retirement!

Rusty

Get his ET title

CD

Get him reliably trained with the dumbell

Get a Q in ADX

Get a Q in ADO and JDO

Get a title in one of the games

Have him doing nice tight turns by the end of the year, and keeping up his good contacts and weave poles.

Biscuit

Get AD title

Compete in a tracking trial

Keep up good weave pole performance, teach tight turns and work on distance work.

Let's all have the funnest year yet :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Elsie's 2013 goals

- Train reliable weaves

- Train reliable running contacts

- Start agility!

- Start working trials!

- Start tracking trials!

- Qualify for level 2 tracking, 1/2 legs gained.

- RN title, 1/3 legs gained.

- CDX title