2013 Training Goals!

Guest Panzer Attack!

Elsie's 2013 goals

- Train reliable weaves

- Train reliable running contacts Changed this to stopped contacts!

- Start agility!

- Win out of starters agility 1/2 wins gained

- Win out of jumpers C

- Start working trials!

- Start tracking trials!

- Qualify for level 2 tracking, 1/2 legs gained.

- RN title, 3/3 legs gained. - DONE!

- CDX title

Elsie's 2013 goals

- Train reliable weaves

- Start agility!

- Win out of starters agility 2/2 wins gained DONE!

- Win out of jumpers C 2/2 wins gained DONE!

- Start working trials!

- Start tracking trials!

- RN title, 3/3 legs gained.

- CDX title DONE!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nova

Complete his neuter title Don't think I entered any shows this year! Oops

Enter at least one tracking trial As above, didn't get around too it

Maybe give Rally a go Have done this! 2 Passes in novice, one was a first place as well! :thumbsup:

Most of Darcys are carried over from last year :o

Darcy

ADX Only entered him in 2 trials this year so no luck with this, next year maybe :laugh:

JDX

FM Done

RN Done, actually got his RA as well.

Jovi

ADX Done

JDM

GDX

SPD

SD

FM Done, not bad considering she only started competing last year!

RN Also got her RA

ET

and planning on her having her first litter in among all that too!

Got a few things achieved this year, was pretty hard as most things clashed. I only entered Jovi in one games class, as had been focusing on getting her ADX.

Only one agility and flyball comp left for the year. Next year will be pretty quiet for us as Jovi will be having puppies *fingers crossed!*

Edited by tollersowned

I would like Mindy to get some novice agility titles.

She has started working very well towards the end of this year and we have one Q in each of novice agility, jumping, snooker and gamblers and 2 in strategic pairs.

So hopefully this is a realistic goal for us, I guess a lot will depend on my work and how much time I have to train her.

I think agility will be our focus, but I'd also really like to start retrieving and perhaps do some retrieving ability trials. I'd also like to do some tracking.

Now our agility trialling year is over, I can't believe what we have managed to achieve!

Mindy now has gained her ADX, JDX, and GDX titles and is one qually away from gaining her SDX and SPDX titles!

She also has some passes in ADO and JDO. This is more than I had ever imagined we would be able to achieve in a year.

Mindy has come on so well after starting lessons with the wonderful Vickie!

Looking forward to a great year as well next year!

Well done to you and Mindy! That truly is a successful trialling year! thumbsup1.gif I would really love to see some videos of you guys in agility, I love seeing fit labs run :D Do you have any you can share?

Kenzie

Really want to get her RA

Would love to get CCD (this is as much about me as her!)

Maybe ET

Would love to have the confidence to take her in to an agility trial

Learn more and maybe practice towards something in DWD

Just get enough focus off her to feel really confident with her off-lead around distractions

Hamish

Anything!!! Any training would be good!

I would like to try and aim for him to do either/both RN and CCD

We'll get started on some foundation agility work, I think he'd like that!

Some tricks, Kenzie learnt everything and he's just started shaking hands (he's just gorgeous the galoomph that he is!)!

The handler just needs to find a bit more time, inspiration and technique!!!

ETA...

I'd also like to get Hamish on some sheep I think there's a lot of natural instinct in thelittle boy!!!

And I'd definitely like for him and I to become a bit better of a handling team in the show ring - that's training for both of us (and it seems so much harder than the other things I've listed here!!!).

Well I love being ambitious!!! Looking at this list makes me laugh a little - as if I was ever going to get all that done this year with other things I had going on!!! So what have we achieved...

Kenzie - she got her Heelwork to Music Starters title today!! And that's pretty much it! But it's taken us a long time to be ready for this one as it involves off lead work and that's not our forte, particularly if any other dog is around! And we've started herding, hoping to get her starting titling in that next year.

Hamish - well we've earnt some challenge points showing, that's a good thing! He's learnt to do some things - I did actually start training him to get to that point! And we've started herding - I was right, he has a whole heap of instinct and is running circles around me. He's going to be able to start trialling in herding early in the new year, and I'm excited about it!!!

I'll just have to put all the other things on the list for 2014!

Elvis: coming out of retirement to give Rally O a go. Something to keep his brain working but not stress his body. We are aiming for atleast his RN, possibly even RA depending on how we go with novice.

Tinny: continue having fun at tricks class. Maybe give Rally training a go :).

Harri: Attend at least one Earthdog day. He has been going to tricks class with my Mum the last few weeks (i had been going with him a few months before) and has been working really well for her, so continue on with that next year.

Luna: if given the all clear physically we will begin Agility training in the new year. I also am aiming for at least her instinct test (herding) and to attend many more herding days. Edited to ad: I'll just be happy to have her around other dogs and for her to be relaxed around other dogs now.

Me: get off my ass and actually train with the dogs other than when we are at class/ club :o.

Update for the year.

Elvis was a no go for Rally, some of the exercises were not going to work for him. I did do a bit of training with him just for fun but it is really hard to train a dog who barks and mouths you the whole time :laugh:.

Tinny has learnt more tricks/ DWD moves in the last 12 months than she has her whole 10 years of life. I would like to give DWD trial a go next year. We haven't been to any rally classes but she can do most of the stations quite well. So that's on the cards for next year.

T also got pulled out of retirement for a fundraiser flyball comp last month and gained a few more points but she is way off her next title. She had an absolute blast though & ended up running most of the day.

Harri got to one Earthdog day/ demo day and loved it so that is something we want to go on with.

He has had another year of tricks/DWD class with my Mum and they are both doing really well. We have to do club breakup in a couple of weeks and have to do a small DWD routine each.

We started competing at flyball again after nearly 12 months off, and he is loving it.

Luna is a write off :o. We haven't done anything other than some trick training at home (which she picks up easily).

Ok here goes...

Zamba - nothing to achieve, but keep giving her a chance to train just because she loves it so much. At 13 years old she gets to sit on the couch and sleep in the bedroom these days. Special privileges reserved for a dog who has spent her life being loud and very busy, and can now finally enjoy some quiet years.

Pasha - I would love to get him into an RN trial or two, and possibly a CCD trial or two. But it will depend how he is going. I would also love to get him enjoying the beach calmly, and able to do training at agility while keeping his head.

Update:

Zamba - right on track. She's nearly 15 now and still enjoying lying around and the occasional game of fetch or training inside the house. A little more incontinent than she was, to the surprise of both of us at times...

Pasha - well it's been a busy year on a personal front and our trial hopes went by the wayside. My mother is very ill, and I'm currently recovering from a major op, so the trial dreams have had to be put on hold until next year. But (great news) he's good at the beach these days. Took a while, and relies on me having his ball with me for those times when he gets over-excited, but he's finally a good beach dog and that makes me (and him) very, very happy :)

As we are heading into December, and training/shows etc are getting ready to wind down...I thought I'd review my goals.

I haven't done 'too' bad, I guess.

I can't remember what my training goals for this year were...but I've taken the first step....

1. Choose Club. Check.

2. Get a puppy with which to start from scratch. Check.

Next Goals.

1. No chasing the cats. - Still a Work In Progress.

2. Housetraining. - Check

3. Hands and Feet are not toys. - Check

3. Neither is any of the furniture. (or the doors, or the windows, or the screens, no digging there...you get the picture) - Check

:D

On a more serious training note...

1. Focussed heeling with enthusiasm. - Work in Progress...but getting a good start!

2. Start tracking training. - Check. (and been my primary focus)

3. Learn to show stack like a star. - I wussed out, but there is still time!

Not necessarily in that order.

No training goals for either of mine for 2013. All I really want is one 24 hour period without a lame Kenz :(.

As for the old girl Ness, she can keep doing as she is and enjoy her semi-retirement. We may try for her Track 3 if she is still up to it when tracking resumes.

Kenz: Well we finished up with an Rally Advanced title and a track 1 pass in the last tracking trial of the year. She has now been "released" back to agility and obedience if I want as of a fortnight ago. The jury is still out on how long I can keep her unlame in any one given week but given there is nothing catastrophic we can do to her she is allowed to do what she wants. We have therefore recommenced some foundation agility type work, a little obedience and she had a short session on sheep today and very clearly will excel if she stays sound enough.

Ness: Managed to get Ness through her track 3 at the second last trial of the year and then retired her having finished off her TD title. She is now 6 weeks post-op for surgery to repair a ruptured cruciate (which she did unfortunately one day after she turned 13). She is still doing well otherwise though and I am sure will be back to her normal antics soon enough and will continue to enjoy her retirement days for many years to come.

Edited by ness

Elsie's 2013 goals

- Train reliable weaves

- Start agility!

- Win out of starters agility 2/2 wins gained

- Win out of jumpers C 2/2 wins gained

- Start working trials! DONE!

- Start tracking trials!

- CDX title

- UDX title DONE!

Elsie's 2013 goals

- Train reliable weaves

- Start agility!

- Win out of starters agility 2/2 wins gained

- Win out of jumpers C 2/2 wins gained

- Start working trials! DONE!

- Start tracking trials!

- CDX title

- UDX title DONE!

:thumbsup::cheer:

Think you can say you and Elsie have had a pretty outstanding year, DD. Super well done! So you'd better start putting up next year's goals :-).

We still have 2 weekends of trialling - agility, and then Rally and obedience ....

:thumbsup::cheer:

Think you can say you and Elsie have had a pretty outstanding year, DD. Super well done! So you'd better start putting up next year's goals :-).

We still have 2 weekends of trialling - agility, and then Rally and obedience ....

Thank you! I agree, a brilliant first year of competing! Someone has gotta start the 2014 thread now....

Good luck on your last few weekends!

I put down that I wanted to do to Rally O but that's out the window :laugh: Toby is well and truly in retirement and he will stay there. I wanted to get into agility with Noah but had a late start ( in the last couple of months ) due to my partner's health crisis. But Noah has picked up a lot in the last couple of months so im really looking forward to start foundation classes next year :) Bring on 2014 :thumbsup:

I'm finally home so time to make some goals for 2013....

Agility

Whilst Ziggy is clearly more experienced and confident on trial day, Em is coming along nicely...

Ziggy and Em:

Independent contacts - BIG hole in our training but I accepted early on that I didn't have time to do this and pulled Em out of agility. Best decision ever. Summer holiday project!

Continue with the success of independent weaves from 2012 - Zig is absolutely nailing his weaves. Em needs more work - she's fine if I'm in front of her and racing but pops out looking for me if I'm behind her. Another holiday project!

Keep it light, fun and work on speed. I'd rather a fast, fun NQ or DQ than a careful Q - I have definitely improved on this and we are all much more relaxed.

Me:

Remember how different these 2 dogs are....Ziggy's idea of supportive handling is Em's idea of feeling crowded and stressed - A work in progress but I'm learning to balance and handle them differently

Work on trialling like we train. STOP BABYSITTING :hitself:Pushing both dogs harder and not babysitting as much. I've had to learn to decel really early to account for Em's huge jump stride. She's still unpredictable on tunnels though...sometimes commits early and sometimes I need to support a bit more. She's definitely getting faster though!

Zig finished the year with plenty of Masters Jumping and Agility passes, a JDO2 title, his ET and the Dally Club's Performance Dog of the Year award for the 3rd year running. Em had a super year once I pulled her out of agility (smart move that!) and she realised that the idea of jumping was to keep the bars up (not smash through everything like a good retrieving dog). Finished off her JDX with 2 super runs (both 2nd places) and picked up her first Masters Jumping pass. She's running harder, staying connected and enjoying herself immensely....although it's not nearly as much fun for her as retrieving at this stage.

Retrieving

With 2 Novice wins and a massive confidence boost for both of us, 2012 was a wonderful year. One more win and she'll be in Restricted but, on the advice of a fellow competitor, we will train for beyond that.

Em and Me:

Aim for All Age.

Keep working on handling and marking drills, particularly in water.

Tighten those sits up.

Stick with doubles at the moment but progress to triples by the end of the year

Keep whistle in my mouth. Always.

Slow down - Em is running faster and harder so I need to take my time sending and casting.

Steward at the Vic State and National Trials. If Em is absolutely firing I'd consider entering the State Trial but won't have to make that decision for another 6 months.

Well. What an amazing year. Started with some woeful marking at the Easter trial before we got some balance back in our training. Then it was a win in Novice for her title followed by a big win in Restricted that qualified her for the State and National Championships. Which we entered :eek: Went out on the first run in the States but not before she picked up a tough blind that many Ch dogs couldn't and I learnt a lot of lessons about gaps in our training. A few weeks later it was the National Championships - 45 dogs started, 3 days, 9 runs, sudden death, 4 dogs finished. I was so thrilled with Em who completed the first and second runs like a little pro - selection, marking, handling and delivery were fantastic. We went out on the third run when she picked up the diversionary bird but nothing could wipe the smile off my face nor stop her little tail wagging. We also received a judges award for teamwork which was very special :) Finished the year with 2 x 3rd places, 2 x 2nd places and 2 more wins to pick up her Restricted title. The competition in Restricted really tightened up as the year went on and placings were only decided by 1 or 2 points. Now the fun begins in All Age and I'm looking forward to it already!

Obedience

No pressure on this one - much depends on how much time we have. Zig is ready for Open and put in a nice round at the Dally Nationals. Need to proof his dumbbell retrieve (ironic when you consider Em's retrieving skills :laugh:) and his stays. Would love to do Novice with Em but really not sure that we can find the time.....might save this for when she slows down one day :)

Zero. Zip. Nada. A bit of training plus lots of tricks for Em but entering has not even been a consideration. Just way too busy and I needed to focus on agility/retrieving.

A short film that Em was in was released and did well at a few festivals and both dogs enjoyed doing demos for my puppy games classes. Em was popular at the "Ladies Who Shoot their Lunch" demo and had fun at the VGC retrieving training days as both participant and demo dog.

Another great year. Two happy, healthy dogs :)

In 2013 I am not going to be too ambitious because Zora and I will be having part of the year off for a litter ( :D ).We have 6 beautiful outgoing pups that are now almost 7 weeks old. Probably Zora's best achievement yet! Good job Zora :thumbsup: :cheer:

Pups are all 5 months old now. I have seen them all since they have gone to their new homes and they are all thriving.

Here are my goals:

-Finish RN Title :cheer:

-Aim for RA (maybe even RE) -- On hold for a little bit, waiting till I am happier with her work. -- Hoping to get started on this after her 'maternity leave' finishes.

We have done a couple of RA trials, no Q's as we had a little too much enthusiasm in the ring and were a little out of practice. However the issue I had earlier in the year was a lack of enthusiasm when we had trials so I consider that issue fixed for now :D

-Enter CCD -- I tried but then a season got in the way. Should get this one even if it is CCD NFC by the end of the year. -- Also hoping to get started on this too after her 'maternity leave' finishes. :cheer:

Have entered a couple of CCD trials, we did so much better then I expected but each time had little airhead moments and one time we were going beautifully but the dog who has never had SFE issues decided to move. :laugh:

-Get ready for trialling in agility early 2014 -- Still aiming for 2014 :p-- Still aiming for 2014 but have taken some steps to make that a little more realistic :D [/color] :cheer:

Probably won't be early 2014 but won't be far off we have began a lesson plan and private lessons, plus she did SO well at her working sport at the Stacey P-G seminar the other week

Lastly this is a BIG maybe...

-Enter a UG Field Trial - Not going to happen now, since Zora has missed the whole season due to being in season then pregnant. -- Sadly have missed the field season, however yesterday when we did some testing with the pups Zora reminded us how keen she is... Hopefully we can be on track for 2014

I also achieved an unexpected goal, I started to play around with tracking and Zora has already passed her track one. I'm hoping to get her track 2 by the end of the season. We got our track 2 with a grading of Very Good just before Zora went on maternity leave, despite being quite pregnant her enthusiasm never wavered. There is a possibility of going for track 3 this season otherwise we will put it off until the next one. :cheer:

No track 3 this tear but we will continue with tracking next year

OK, interesting exercise to sort through, for each of the different sports, and what is achievable

Shandy:

DWD

Heelwork to Music Novice(1 pass down, 2 to go)Both Novice titles done and dusted. Need more work on Intermediate after she had a couple of months off with a broken toe

DWD Freestyle Novice (only one pass to go)

Work up Intermediate routines and start competing that, with passes in at least one

Rally

Rally E (one pass down)RE done, and two RAE passes. Not bad considering her issues. Plan to finish RAE when Zim starts

Have a go at some RAE two passes down, eight to go

Obedience

Slowly work on getting on getting her confidence back with the dumb bell (after her jaw issues)

Maintain the rest of her open work

Some CDX passes, if the above comes together. No passes, but she's enthusiastic again, and retrieving nicely, so we'll give it a go this year.

Start on some scent discrimination for amusement

Zimri (currently 14 weeks!)

Move through Obedience levels at club, with an aim to entering Rally at least before the end of the year

Plenty of trick and rear end awareness, with the aim of at least a Starters DWD Freestyle routine before the end of the year.Moved through the obedience levels, and he's such a lovely enthusiastic worker. Will enter rally soon, and start Obedience as soon as I think he's ready for CD as well.

• 3 weeks later...

So my goals for 2013 were

Zazu

• RN title (achieved last trial of 2012) Plus 3rd place at the Western Classic in Rally Novice B
  • CCD title CHECK! :)

Kyte

• CCD title - achieved 1 very nice leg
  • RN title (achieved last trial of 2012) Plus 1st place (with 100/100) at the Western Classic in Rally Novice B
  • maybe RA title - no chance. Two disasters from two entries
  • JD title - 2 legs, including a 2nd place.
  • AD title - nope. need to perfect weavepoles.

Me

• continue working on ring nerves - getting better.
  • learn to play more between exercises - still struggling
  • improve my agility handling skills - slowly improving. Have a better idea of where I go wrong now.

Roll on 2014!