Raw Pork

As I frequently visit European forums it has come to my attention that they dont feed raw pork in their BARF dies as apparently it might contain a cirus responcible for a desease. Now the prob is that I dont know the deseases name, as I am unable to translate. It is a persons name and starts with A.

apparently it has simmilar symptoms as rabies and can be fatal.

Do we have the same here?

I have raw fed pork/pork bones to my dog but now I am kind of scared.

Can someone shed some light, please.

Not sure about disease....

I feed cooked pig as a treat.... but too much is too rich and makes Zayda throw up... so we don't feed it as a bone.....

Apparently a lot of dogs find it too rich and this is a common response!! Scared me at the time though!

Dan

Hi Myszka :rolleyes:

I've fed my two occasionally with pork mince or pork offcuts - all human grade meat - with no probs.

The only issue with feeding pork I've read about is with Trichinosis - see link below

http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/Advice/dogs/feeding/08.htm

Apparently freezing pork meat for a period of time will kill off this parasite.... that being said according to this site:

http://www.aces.uiuc.edu/archives/experts/swine/1294.html

Trichinosis occurs worldwide except in Australia and on many Pacific Islands :laugh:

So tell Sexy Rexy to get some "Pork on his Fork" :(:)

Some info re this virus here

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/n...kys.htm#history

Since I feed BARF (includes pork bones and offcuts) I had a discussion on a Polish forum about this and thats what they came back with.

Perhaps this virus doesnt exist in Oz???

Than again, they all panic about everything, so I dont know if their concern is legitimate or it is another panic atack about nothing......

Their argument is that this virus is killed by cooking and that we humans also dont eat raw pork (perhaps becouse of this virus)

I think the main reason we don't eat raw pork is because of the eewww factor :rolleyes:

But Aus hasn't got a lot of the diseases that other countries have to deal with, hence the generally strict quarantine laws.

One of the reasons people should avoid raw pork is that some parasites are common to pigs and people.

I always freeze it first but feed it occasionally to the poodles - its a great source of taurine and they do love their ribs! :rolleyes:

I knew about parosites, but this virus seems to be a different story....

I will make a wild guess that it doesnt exist here.

I will also make a wild guess that THEY (over in Eurpe) should refrain from feeding raw pork. Something I never knew.

I await to be corrected :rolleyes:

Edited by myszka

I read the link provided and found some more. Things I found:

"The virus is rapidly inactivated when exposed to drying " - perhaps freezing is the same

"In other animals [not pigs] the disease either causes no problems or is invariably fatal" - Not good!

Article about disease in dogs

Hmm, I'd talk to a large animal vet about what you can do to kill the virus off or not feed raw pork.

Edit: Oh hang on. You are in Australia yes? If you are here, then you don't need to worry as we do not have the disease here. If you are in Europe (other than the UK) then your pigs could have it so don't feed pork.

Edited by molasseslass

Well bacon is pork, so yes, I'd say raw bacon from Europe would be a no-no to eat.

Homer: Lisa honey, are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Ham?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Pork chops?

Lisa: Dad! Those all come from the same animal!

Homer: Yeah, right Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

:rolleyes:

Edit: Oh hang on. You are in Australia yes? If you are here, then you don't need to worry as we do not have the disease here. If you are in Europe (other than the UK) then your pigs could have it so don't feed pork.

Yes MM I'm here.

To refresh your memory :( I'm the one with the funny accent that was at the undercover party and we spoke about writing our DOL nicknames on the snow using a certin device for women :rolleyes: