The Horrible Itches Are Back

Staffyluv

Poor Zig, has been scratching since Sunday.

He had an off lead run at the fenced park on Sunday (early) and found a little mud hole (about 40cm), it was at least 3 times that size when he finished digging and rolling in it and it stank.

He had a shower as soon as we got home with Aloveen and I made sure to wash it all off (no conditioner) as I know he can get itchy.

I gave him a polarmine last night and it seemed to settle a bit but this morning it is worse.

He has scratched under his front leg and under his collar red raw poor bug.. So we are off to the vet at 4pm.

I don't think it is fleas but he gets sick (vomits them up within half hour of taking them) with comfortis and any topical stuff seems to make him itch more (tried advantage and advantix) - so will go hunting for a natural flea treatment this weekend..

Same with his worming tablets, he brings them back up within about half an hour of taking them...

I can sympathise with you with an itchy dog. Our girl gets itchy every summer. Pretty much everyone I spoke to recommended oatmeal/aloveen... however, it turns out that our girl is sensitive to oatmeal!!! We end up using pyohex(sp) as soon as she gets itchy, but failing that, it is off to the vet for anti-histamines.

Oh poor Ziggy. :(

Our dermatologist has us using QV wash instead of Aloveen to wash allergens out his coat (I was using Aloveen until recently). I do find the QV wash milder/ more suitable for my itchy dog.

And Revolution is the spot-on we are using, although I don't know if it has the same active ingredients as the spot-ons you've tried?

edited to add: I found Polaramine didn't really help at all. The antihistamine Bruno has been prescribed is working well though, 'Hydroxyzine.' Might be worth seeing what Ziggy's vet thinks. Good luck, it's awful seeing them really itchy and uncomfortable.

Edited by trinabean

I have heard that the QV is better and I bought it for him ages ago but just used the aloveen as it was fine last time we used it.

I am sort of hoping it might have been something in the manky mud hole he was having so much fun in. He was covered in mud (nose to toes) for about an hour before it was washed off)..

I used polarmine for years with Ollie and it worked fine but they are all different, will see what the vet says.

I hate it when you can't help them..

The manky mud hole monster would have been a sight, did you get a photo? :laugh:

Yes, hopefully it was just something gross in the mud that irritated his skin short-term.

No I didn't, I am not taking my good camera anywhere near him when he is like that.. or near water..

He was such a mess - everyone else thought he was so funny, digging and laying in it, putting his head right under the water. Bugger of a thing, the more people laugh the more he digs...

NeotopicH soothes the itching quite nicely.

I called the vet and asked for some cream but I think he wanted an excuse to see him (because we haven't been for ages), so we have an appointment..

I swear, after Ollie's chemo and everything else that dog went through, I should own shares in that practice.

Back from the vet and as his diet hasn't changed at all, the vet is pretty confident it is a contact allergy of some kind..

As the only thing different was the mucky mud hole, it is possible but you can never be sure.

He has some revolution for parasite treatment (just to stay on top of it as h throws the tablets up) and he has some tablets for a few days just to help with the itch.

If it continues or gets worse, we will start eliminating stuff - first environmental then diet.

In typical Ziggy form, he was fine by the time we got to the vets and not scratching at all.. But you could still see where he had scratched himself red under his front legs and neck.

I find creams like neocort and apex antibiotic lotion effective for when Mindy has an acute flare up of rash and/or itchiness.

Early application of these has helped us avoid the need for antibiotics and pred.

Unfortunately antihistamines don't work well for all dogs, but they can be useful as well.

Back from the vet and as his diet hasn't changed at all, the vet is pretty confident it is a contact allergy of some kind..

As the only thing different was the mucky mud hole, it is possible but you can never be sure.....

Every time I take Honbun for a dip at the Berry Island reserve she gets itches galore. It always ends with a course of anti-bugs and neotopic H cream.

There is no telling what itchy things resided in Ziggy's mucky mud hole.