How To Get My Boy To Use His Bed

kwirky

Hi all,

I have a wonderful old man called Hunter (Golden Retriever 13 yrs old) who I would like to 'teach' to use his bed outside.

He is an indoor/outdoor dog who can come and go in the house as he pleases during the day (via the doggy door). I had noticed in recent weeks that he had taken to napping under the carport on the concrete floor so I got him a trampoline bed so he would be more comfortable.

He does not seem to have any particular objections to the bed itself (is not frightened or anything) and has climbed up on it when I bribed him with treats however I got home from work and he way laying next to it (the schmakos still laying on the bed).

Is this a lost cause or is it still possible for him to learn to use it?

Thanks

Jo

If he's choosing to use the floor, he might be more comfortable on the floor!

How can that possibly be comfortable :(

He's a dog, they find odd things nice. They find poop tasty, I don't question it :laugh:

Often my pug jumps off my bed and sleeps on the floorboards - it's cooler for him and for some weird reason he just likes it! I don't mind where he sleeps - I give him options and he knows he has options, he chooses whichever he wants.

Mine often sleep on the floor next to their beds too. They also don't particularly like the trampoline beds,they will occasionally go on them but seem to prefer the pavers, grass, floorboards, backsteps, etc. If they tend to lay in one place a few times I often move the trampoline bed there for them but they just lay next to it then too.

Maybe try a foam type bed for him to get a bit of cushioning between him and the concrete. At the end of the day if you give him the choice, he'll work out what feels best to him.

I popped into Bunnings on the way home last night and picked up a foam mat (1m x 1m) (the kind which can be interlocked with other mats like a jigsaw) and we gave that a whirl. He plonked down on it quite happily.

The next couple of days are hot here in Melbourne so he will probably stay inside (I leave the aircon on for him), but at least he has options now :)

Thanks everyone :thumbsup::cheer::clap: