Worming

BT-Argo

We don't have heartworm where we are but they get treated for it anyway as we use Advocate monthly. On top of that, they get a broadspectrum wormer every 6-8 weeks and whenever a new dog comes in as we have dogs coming and going and can't afford to have it spread or contaminate the soil.

I'll admit though that I'm parasite paranoid- once an area is infested, it's expensive and difficult to get clean again, especially with several large dogs to consider.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I no longer heartworm because I dont take my dogs out of this area much anymore. I used to when I took them to Tooradin (for whippet racing) because it's coastal and lots of mozzies as well as dog breeding and greyhound facilities in the area, lots of dog traffic in that region.

I dont treat for fleas at all. I dont know why, but since I moved to this house almost 15 years ago, I've had no problem with fleas. A couple of times I will use a spot on product on them but I suspect they got fleas from visiting dogs or perhaps when I would help at my friends grooming salon. The boys are 8 years old now and I think I've only treated them for fleas twice in their lives.

I try to worm every 3 months at the chaning of the seasons. I'm a bit late this season but the tablets are sitting on the kitchen bench.

Does the heart worm annual injection have Ivermectin? I don't think I asked when Riley had it, oops, he was fine though. Quinn hasn't had it yet. Oh, I ask because they are both collie breeds.

I don't do intestinal worm or flea treatments unless there is some sign of a problem.

We give ours the annual heartworm vaccination. No one has ever told us not to and we've never had a problem.

I am curious if anyone here has ever had a dog with heartworm? I wonder what the true distribution is and wonder how many dogs are diagnosed per year?

My friends dog got heartworm about 14 years ago. She was living in the metro area of Croyden in Adelaide. Quite a shock when the vet found out the problem. Only 1 of her 2 dogs had it. He was successfully treated but it took ages & cost an arm & a leg.

Guest crickets

I have known about a dozen dogs in the Adelaide metro area who have had heartworm dating from the early 80's to now.

Heartworm is not transmitted from dog to dog. They can only get it by being bitten by an infected mozzie.

Google pulled up an old DOL thread that seems to confirm that collie breeds are at risk of the Ivermectin reaction from the annual injection. So lucky Riley didn't have a problem, and I'm so glad for DOL, that's the only way I know about the problem!

I think I will get Riley and Quinn MDR1 tested as suggested, can my normal vet do this?

I worm for Heartworm once a month and Hydatids every six weeks. I don't want to take chances with either!

I totally agree. I won't leave it to chance and not do anything about it. I deworm my dog once every month too. I don't know what it is with people why they don't want to deworm their dogs but I think it's a really important thing they are missing out on doing.

So heartworm is coastal? No-one told me that...I am going to be staying on the coast over the xmas break, now you've got me worried. Can I just buy some heartworm tabs and start now or is it too late? I was going to ring the vet but I'll only get the receptionist and she probably wont know.

Also with Hydatids I have been told repeatedly that it only occurs if your dog actually eats sheep offal. Mine don't but they do eat sheep poo, so I always worm for Hydatids just to make sure.

Google pulled up an old DOL thread that seems to confirm that collie breeds are at risk of the Ivermectin reaction from the annual injection. So lucky Riley didn't have a problem, and I'm so glad for DOL, that's the only way I know about the problem!

I think I will get Riley and Quinn MDR1 tested as suggested, can my normal vet do this?

I don't think so, Gribbles does it, they send you out a kit and you take a swab and send it back. I just avoid anything with any of the problem drugs altogether.

Edited by Aussie3

So heartworm is coastal? No-one told me that...I am going to be staying on the coast over the xmas break, now you've got me worried. Can I just buy some heartworm tabs and start now or is it too late? I was going to ring the vet but I'll only get the receptionist and she probably wont know.

Also with Hydatids I have been told repeatedly that it only occurs if your dog actually eats sheep offal. Mine don't but they do eat sheep poo, so I always worm for Hydatids just to make sure.

Regarding the heartworm tablets - go to your vet and have a heartworm test BEFORE giving anything, OK?

T.

i lost a wonderful dog to heartworm in my early 20s so am diligent about that ever since. i use panoramis so it has flea, heart and other worm prevention in it and it is a monthly tab. the worm it misses - tapeworm? i give another tab every 3 months for that.

i used to be a bit whatever about intestinal worms but this year i had a healthy foster dog who had been previously wormed but who stll vomited up maybe 20 worms of 3 different types in one small puke one morning and i realised how disgusting and unnessecary that was to let a dog live with that inside its body.

we've never had a tick on any of our dogs but my 2 get a daily massage and check over for anything and everything while sister does her furry beast once a week. she is now 9 so has started growing skin tags which can feel very tick like under all her hair!

I worm for Heartworm once a month and Hydatids every six weeks. I don't want to take chances with either!

I totally agree. I won't leave it to chance and not do anything about it. I deworm my dog once every month too. I don't know what it is with people why they don't want to deworm their dogs but I think it's a really important thing they are missing out on doing.

How so ? if a dog doesn't have a worm burden, then what's the point in worming it. The fact is placing checmials that are not required in a dogs system, does more harm than good. The amount of chemcial that some people pump onto and in their dogs, just incase is frightening.

pav lova i am also concerned about the chemical side of things but don't have the skills to identify a dog with worm burden. i know about bloating in pups but how can i identify a worm burden in adult dogs? is it about immediate poo checks? is it about the places they have visited off property that might have infestations? i reaally have no idea.

If you have young pups or animals coming in from outside sources then a course of treatment is probably wise, but for a static adult dog population worming only as required is fine :) I worm my cats far more than my dogs as they tend to eat small creepy crawlies, lizards and mice :)

Guest donatella

If these chemicals are so harmful why are they allowed to be given monthly by manufacturers?

Yes I understand they only want our money but if they were indeed dangerous surely they would not be allowed to advertise and sell them at a monthly dose?

Edited by donatella