New Foster Puppy

Alfie02

Hi all,

We just picked up our new 4 month old foster puppy from the vets after being desexed. This may seem like a stupid question but do they do 'inside' stitches now? Looking at her wound she doesnt have any stitches?

DOes this mean after a couple of days she can go swimming and get them wet?

Thank you!

Sometimes they do one long cable stitch that is anchored at each end and has to be removed and sometimes the stitches disolve, so you need to ask which was used. Either way the puppy should still be kept quiet for 10 days and the wound kept dry.

Oh ok, thanks for that. We have only ever had boy dogs, so this is a new experience for us :)

She is a bit of a mystery, she came in as a cattle cross, but looks more like maybe dalmatian cross.

We are so excited to have her here with us, we cant wait to fatten her up and get rid of those horrible ribs poking out :mad

Seems odd you weren't given any instructions by the vet clinic. They should really be giving out an info sheet. Would give them a call.

Not all vets give out those info sheets to Rescues, as it saves them time, and it's assumed the Rescue knows the drill and will pass that info on to the carer.

So I'd definitely ask your co-ordinator, Alfie, or the vet if possible.

She probably has intradermal/subcuticular sutures. They are dissolvable and hence do not require removal. However, I would NOT be taking the pup swimming or getting her wet for at least 10-14 days after surgery (which is around the time normal sutures are removed).

There will still be suture material in a fairly superficial location which could get infected if allowed to get wet and dirty.

:) baby or no, she has still had invasive abdominal surgery (hysterectomy, basically) and does need to kept dry, clean & quieter for a week or so, to allow for safe healing. :) No jumping on/off furniture , or anything which really stretched that belly area hard ..like running.

Looking forward to photos :)

Thanks for the replies :) Very, very helpful. We didnt get any advise from the vets when we picked her up, I think they were in a rush!

I will try to add a photo of her, its not a great photo but its the only one I have right now. Waiting on a nice day to take some good outside shots :)