Junk

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than using the term 'cat safe' it can be better to describe the dog as ' shown the ability to live in a home with a cat.' Or words to that effect.

Some greyhounds learn to live with a cat and behave respectfully towards it, but fewer will tolerate an unknown cat met outside.

yes I don't like the term cat safe, much prefer cat tolerant.

Sometimes how the cat behaves can also impact on how the dog reacts. My bitch is fine with my cat and when out on walks, totally not bothered by them at all. Go to my daughter's place and again is not at all interested in the cat that takes no notice of her. But, the cat that slinks around giving out very strong victim vibes, Fern was very interested in. It took nearly 18 months for the cat to stop acting like a victim and once that happened Fern stopped being interested. But they are never left alone together, ever.

eta fix spelling

Edited by Rebanne

How about these names?

Zen

Zuri

Tahnee

True

Sable

Shade

Shiloh

Spirit <--- my fave

Peaches

Lani

Lyric

Gypsy

Fable

Dior

Cameo

Can anyone pick the person who gets to name foster puppies en masse on a regular basis? I have lists!

T.

Oh good names everyone hard choice maybe we should have a poll and let DOL name her lol

Oh she is doing wonderful, she went for a nice walk today and she walks so well on lead stays right near you and loves to look around. No cats for her but she loves the kids, the one year old gives her hugs and she is so very careful not to knock the one year old down. She really is a gem who ever takes her is going to be so lucky. She has decided that my 12 year old son is her friend she follows him around and loves to lay with him while he plays video games.

ETA she loves walking on the beach and letting the water run over her feet

Edited by Greylvr

Greyt :thumbsup: Thanks for the update :) My two are not cat friendly in any way, shape or form. Maddie has killed a couple of birds in the backyard. She has a very high prey drive but Stan doesn't anymore, he gets a cramp just getting off the lounge lol

I find it interesting that people are describing the prey drive as lunging and barking.

I actually find that most gun dogs or dogs that actually intend on "hunting" an animal will freeze and focus, not lunge and bark as this would startle the animal into running. My Wei and I are currently practising a nice, steady point and at no time has she been noisy or lunging, quite the opposite, she will crouch/squat and smoothly walk/glide closer, ears flat and down and eyes huge and focussed. That is, in my opinion, what a hunting dog's prey drive looks like and is quite easy to recognize.

Of course I am trying to train her to stop and point, not inch closer and closer lol

Only when the animal breaks/makes a run for it will the dog "lunge" forwards.

I find it interesting that people are describing the prey drive as lunging and barking.

I actually find that most gun dogs or dogs that actually intend on "hunting" an animal will freeze and focus, not lunge and bark as this would startle the animal into running. My Wei and I are currently practising a nice, steady point and at no time has she been noisy or lunging, quite the opposite, she will crouch/squat and smoothly walk/glide closer, ears flat and down and eyes huge and focussed. That is, in my opinion, what a hunting dog's prey drive looks like and is quite easy to recognize.

Of course I am trying to train her to stop and point, not inch closer and closer lol

Maddie doesn't lunge and bark at all. She is the silent assasin. She actually caught a miner bird in mid flight out of a tree and I was just standing on the back deck when this white flash shot out of nowhere and bang.....gone.

But that's gun dogs, greyhounds are hounds built to chase. I've only fostered one greyhound, but he'd lunge and try to get at the cat.. he would fixate from a distance and the lunging would be trying to get at them.

Ah well yes, I suppose if they were close enough that they think they could get it they might.

I would have thought sight hounds would be very similar to gun dogs, but I have no experience with them.

And of course there are always exceptions to the rule.

Lol stans mum, that sounds like a pretty good catch! Foxy has caught things when I did not pay enough attention but I am hoping with training she will resort to pointing and wait for me and the gun to finish the job :p

Edited by BlackJaq

Ah well yes, I suppose if they were close enough that they think they could get it they might.

I would have thought sight hounds would be very similar to gun dogs, but I have no experience with them.

And of course there are always exceptions to the rule.

Lol stans mum, that sounds like a pretty good catch! Foxy has caught things when I did not pay enough attention but I am hoping with training she will resort to pointing and wait for me and the gun to finish the job :p

Yes she is damn quick and VERY focused. Stan can't be bothered getting off the lounge these days. Just have to say Foxy is stunning! I love your sig :)

Black Jaq:

In terms of how they express prey drive, they are quite different.

It would be extremely challenging to get any sighthound to stalk prey and not give chase when it break and runs. A working gun dog must NOT do this. Coursing is a huge no no.

Those who hunt with sighthounds release the dog and follow the dog to the kill. They wouldn't generally expect the dog to return with it, and certainly not unharmed. A gun dog, on the other hand, works under direction either finding, flushing and retrieving prey (or all three). A hound, once released, works without direction to make the catch.

Both my Whippets will scent and find birds, but they don't freeze (or not for long). They leap high and pounce on them. :laugh:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Ah, thanks for clearing that up! I am sometimes amazed myself at the amount of self control the dog has in just freezing and pointing. I am still having trouble having her hold when the animal makes a break for it, but it can be done as long as I am not slow to react.

I can't believe a dog can actually run down a rabbit, Foxy has tried and has no hope :p And the foxes are just plain too clever, they run behind an obstacle, wait for the dog to get close enough to have their vision blocked and then break into a different direction out of sight o the dog. We have not done any scent work yet so Foxy does not know to use her nose to find the trail, she just runs straight haha

How do you find the dog if it does not return? Also, are you still allowed to hunt using coursing hounds or is it guns only now?

Edited by BlackJaq