Junk

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are not up for sale, they are posted on my facebook, and Ina is posted on egreyhound. They wouldnt be going to be adopted until they are ready. So new rule no rescue can place a dog on a site unless its ready to be homed? Gotcha should I alert all rescues with dogs up that arnt ready for adoption right that minute

You have them labelled as adoptable dogs on your website. By what standards are they adoptable? People will want to know information about Lucky, especially how she is with small dogs, before they decide to adopt her, and they need her certificate, and you will be able to provide neither.

Why the rush to list her?

Edited by Greytmate

OFFS You really think we would let lucky go out how she is?

You all have fun laughing and poking fun and enjoy my stress you can all sleep well at night knowing I am stressed, sad, tired and been in tears for 2 days. Hope your happy I am so done with this

OFFS You really think we would let lucky go out how she is?

You all have fun laughing and poking fun and enjoy my stress you can all sleep well at night knowing I am stressed, sad, tired and been in tears for 2 days. Hope your happy I am so done with this

That isn't the point. How can you answer any questions that a prospective adopter asks? Why the rush to advertise her? It would be terrible if a family fell in love with her, but it turned out she wasn't suitable to be taken for walks in suburbia. You could wait to find out more about her before advertising her. This is one of the main criticisms of unethical places like Pound Rounds. They advertise dogs before anyone can be sure what sort of pet they will be.

Greylvr you have been given some really great advice in this thread. Greytmate, Dogmad and others are very experienced and are brilliant in all they achieve for Grey's. I have always soaked up their knowledge like a huge sponge :)

I agree fostering for a great rescue group is a brilliant way for you to begin. I was blessed to foster for a fantastic group many years ago and learnt an enormous amount with full support.

I then began rescuing myself and am still learning, rescue is FULL of new experiences! Other people’s opinions and advice is something good rescues are grateful for.

Each dog is individual in their needs. Assessing is critical and you truly need to know what you are doing, I spend a minimum of 4/6 weeks assessing in my home. Full disclosure is also critical along with addressing any behavioural/temp/health issues.

Re testing with cats and small dogs there are a number of behaviours that can indicate an interest. Everything from a flick of the ear, quivering lips, jaw, lunging, verbal sounds, excitement, barking etc. Even a dog who does not show any interest in the pound can show interest in care, you need to be extremely careful.

You have indicated that you are distressed/upset, you sound as though you need more support.

Please don’t dismiss what experienced rescuers are communicating, they are doing so for the benefit of Lucky and yourself.

:( Gonna have to take Lucky into the vet looks like she has ear mites poor girl. :cry:

Did you end up taking her to the vet Greylvr?

No real need to see a vet for ear mites. A drop of Advocate on the outside of either ear, give it two days and then give the ears a thorough clean. If the ears smell or the dog still looks uncomfortable, it's probably a fungal infection (which can be caused by the ear mites).

I did have one question, if you don't mind me asking this, Greylvr- what do you intend to do with dogs that are not safe around small dogs?

EFS and lack of caffeine

Edited by Hardy's Angel

:( Gonna have to take Lucky into the vet looks like she has ear mites poor girl. :cry:

No real need to see a vet for ear mites. A drop of Advocate on the outside of either ear, give it two days and then give the ears a thorough clean. If the ears smell or the dog still looks uncomfortable, it's probably a fungal infection (which can be caused by the ear mites).

I did have one question, if you don't mind me asking this, Greylvr- what do you intent to do with dogs that are not safe around small dogs?

Well actually we didnt see a problem placing them not around small dogs but you guys do have a point in that if these dogs are going to go out in public placing a greyhound that would like to eat small dogs may not be the best idea because I know there are plenty of idiots who let their dogs run loose wouldnt want an accident to happen and have it effect negatively on the breed. I will be talking with the rescues I have networked with and other rescues to get some guidance on this issue from people that have been doing it a long time and I have formed a trust with. Oh and yes we got advocate for all the dogs which seems to have done the trick.

I did have one question, if you don't mind me asking this, Greylvr- what do you intent to do with dogs that are not safe around small dogs?

Well actually we didnt see a problem placing them not around small dogs but you guys do have a point in that if these dogs are going to go out in public placing a greyhound that would like to eat small dogs may not be the best idea because I know there are plenty of idiots who let their dogs run loose wouldnt want an accident to happen and have it effect negatively on the breed. I will be talking with the rescues I have networked with and other rescues to get some guidance on this issue from people that have been doing it a long time and I have formed a trust with. Oh and yes we got advocate for all the dogs which seems to have done the trick.

I think you'll find most greyhound rescues will say the same thing- dogs that aren't safe around small dogs are not suitable for rehoming.

Even with the best intentions, accidents can happen and they reflect badly on the breed. I'll give you a few examples here, based on my own experiences-

Back before I took over GAP Tas, the co-ordinator at the time literally knew nothing about greyhounds, she'd never even owned one. I was fostering a lovely boy for her and while on walks, he seemed disinterested in cats. Now, bear in mind these observations were not the result of structured testing and I made that clear to her- "Shows no interest in chasing cats while on walks, still needs to be prey drive tested though as that's not my job" (which it wasn't, I was just a foster carer). Instead of testing him, the co-ordinator just rehomed him to a rural area- after all, not much trouble a greyhound can get into there, given everyone contains their dogs anyway. Except they don't. Two smaller dogs came in under the stock fencing and the dog in question chased them down. The owners of this greyhound were utterly horrified and the fallout was considerable- Panterka and I had go drive down there (across the other side of the state) and pick him up because by that time, the previous co-ordinator had buggered off, leaving behind a trail of shockingly bad management.

Now, in theory, it probably did seem like a safe environment- the owners had good fences (for stock and big dogs), they lived in an area where lots of people owned horses (so wandering dogs were usually dealt with swiftly) and they didn't really need to exercise the dog off their own property. But look at the outcome.. I had to have to owner fill in a return form and it was horrible; handed it over to her, she read it, burst into tears and ran from the room, leaving me, Panterka and the owner's husband standing there. Horrible, horrible situation and it should NEVER happen.

Point is, even in the most ideal situation, you can never be 100% sure that the dog won't get a chance to hurt another dog. Inevitably, the owners will decide to walk the dog in public and then.. well, the possible outcomes are not good.

I think you'll find most greyhound rescues will say the same thing- dogs that aren't safe around small dogs are not suitable for rehoming.

Even with the best intentions, accidents can happen and they reflect badly on the breed. I'll give you a few examples here, based on my own experiences-

Back before I took over GAP Tas, the co-ordinator at the time literally knew nothing about greyhounds, she'd never even owned one. I was fostering a lovely boy for her and while on walks, he seemed disinterested in cats. Now, bear in mind these observations were not the result of structured testing and I made that clear to her- "Shows no interest in chasing cats while on walks, still needs to be prey drive tested though as that's not my job" (which it wasn't, I was just a foster carer). Instead of testing him, the co-ordinator just rehomed him to a rural area- after all, not much trouble a greyhound can get into there, given everyone contains their dogs anyway. Except they don't. Two smaller dogs came in under the stock fencing and the dog in question chased them down. The owners of this greyhound were utterly horrified and the fallout was considerable- Panterka and I had go drive down there (across the other side of the state) and pick him up because by that time, the previous co-ordinator had buggered off, leaving behind a trail of shockingly bad management.

Now, in theory, it probably did seem like a safe environment- the owners had good fences (for stock and big dogs), they lived in an area where lots of people owned horses (so wandering dogs were usually dealt with swiftly) and they didn't really need to exercise the dog off their own property. But look at the outcome.. I had to have to owner fill in a return form and it was horrible; handed it over to her, she read it, burst into tears and ran from the room, leaving me, Panterka and the owner's husband standing there. Horrible, horrible situation and it should NEVER happen.

Point is, even in the most ideal situation, you can never be 100% sure that the dog won't get a chance to hurt another dog. Inevitably, the owners will decide to walk the dog in public and then.. well, the possible outcomes are not good.

Thanks for sharing very good point.

Two smaller dogs came in under the stock fencing and the dog in question chased them down.

But my dogs would do the same, I think a lot of dogs would. I dont know if I see that as bad rehoming, just bad luck. The other dogs owner should have kept their dog contained.

Thanks for sharing very good point.

Probably worth mentioning here that I actually own a greyhound who is not safe around small dogs and although I love her, it's difficult and I sometimes question whether or not I did the right thing by keeping her. She's mellowed a bit in old age but even now, I'm not sure I'd trust her enough to walk her out on the street.

Two smaller dogs came in under the stock fencing and the dog in question chased them down.

But my dogs would do the same, I think a lot of dogs would. I dont know if I see that as bad rehoming, just bad luck. The other dogs owner should have kept their dog contained.

Perhaps but the fact remains the dog should have been tested. A greyhound that would chase down and kill smaller dogs is not a greyhound that is safe to rehome. I'd completely disagree that it was bad luck because it was entirely preventable.

I actually agree with Clyde (shock, horror) - my own dogs who are great with other dogs large or small out in public, would probably do some serious damage to any dog that came onto our property uninvited.

T.

Would you rehome a dog of a breed that requires drive testing without actually doing that testing though?

Personally, I would not rehome a dog if I was of the opinion it might kill another dog that came onto its property- to me, that's not acceptable.

Also, to be very clear here, this was not guarding behaviour, it was prey drive.

I actually agree with Clyde (shock, horror) - my own dogs who are great with other dogs large or small out in public, would probably do some serious damage to any dog that came onto our property uninvited.

T.

The tests for small dogs are based on the greyhound's prey drive, not its defence drive. When a dog is acting aggressively through defence it will normally give the intruder an opportunity to retreat. When a dog is acting aggressively through prey drive there is no opportunity to retreat given to the intruder.

I can't comment on what happened with this particular dog, but I agree that dogs that show prey drive towards other dogs are not suitable to be offered to the public as pets. All greyhounds need to be carefully tested for prey drive towards small dogs. If they fail, they are a liability, legally and socially, for the owner and for the group that sold it as a pet.

T.

The tests for small dogs are based on the greyhound's prey drive, not its defence drive. When a dog is acting aggressively through defence it will normally give the intruder an opportunity to retreat. When a dog is acting aggressively through prey drive there is no opportunity to retreat given to the intruder.

I can't comment on what happened with this particular dog, but I agree that dogs that show prey drive towards other dogs are not suitable to be offered to the public as pets. All greyhounds need to be carefully tested for prey drive towards small dogs. If they fail, they are a liability, legally and socially, for the owner and for the group that sold it as a pet.

Exactly.

There is a huge difference.

T.

Exactly.

Yes, this is so true. I know we are referring to Lucky (Greyhound) in this thread although this applies to any dog regardless of size, breed, age, type etc.

T.

Exactly.

Yes, this is so true. I know we are referring to Lucky (Greyhound) in this thread although this applies to any dog regardless of size, breed, age, type etc.

Yep. And I think it's also worth pointing out that testing should come before desexing unless there's urgent reason to desex. By all means microchip and C5 a dog as soon as it comes in (for obvious reasons) but shelling out $200+ for desexing without knowing if a dog can be rehomed is an expensive and unnecessary way of doing things.

For smaller/private rescues, the money isn't usually flowing freely so you really have to be careful about where your resources are going.

I think I had wrote a rough timeline for what I think is the best way of doing it but damned if I can find it on my own site now :o Basically though.. chip/vacc, test, desex, recovery, re-test with the last testing done at 6-7 weeks into care (and dog ready to be listed at 8 weeks into care).

You might still find problem behaviours after that point (some dogs take a while to really settle) but better to at least try to get an accurate picture of the dog.