Junk

I actually agree with Clyde (shock, horror) - my own dogs who are great with other dogs large or small out in public, would probably do some serious damage to any dog that came onto our property uninvited.

T.

The tests for small dogs are based on the greyhound's prey drive, not its defence drive. When a dog is acting aggressively through defence it will normally give the intruder an opportunity to retreat. When a dog is acting aggressively through prey drive there is no opportunity to retreat given to the intruder.

I can't comment on what happened with this particular dog, but I agree that dogs that show prey drive towards other dogs are not suitable to be offered to the public as pets. All greyhounds need to be carefully tested for prey drive towards small dogs. If they fail, they are a liability, legally and socially, for the owner and for the group that sold it as a pet.

Well met Greytmate... and that's why I leave the rescue of sighthounds to those who know what they are doing. I tend to stick with breed mixes that I understand better...

T.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an update Lucky is fine. She is heading to a foster home that is willing to foster her for awhile so we can get everything squared away. Thank you for all those concerned this was a bump in the road, lessons were learned and mistakes will not happen again. We will not be taking in any more dogs until we are moved and settled and have everything in concrete and all that good stuff.

I'm sorry that your first foray into rescue here in Australia has been a rocky one... it is definitely a very steep learning curve, isn't it?

T.

Hey it was a learning experience and one I wont make again. I never thought in my mind that the neighbors would kick up a stink. Although I am a live and let live type person but hey they started it so they will be getting nice visits from the council because I am tired of listening to their dog bark all day. So they either shut their dog up or they deal with the rangers. How they can complain about dogs that never barked, we not outside unless supervised and only to play and potty is beyond me but we will see how they like the rangers knocking on their door because their dog is a small yappy dog that barks all day :mad

I'm sorry that your first foray into rescue here in Australia has been a rocky one... it is definitely a very steep learning curve, isn't it?

T.

Hey it was a learning experience and one I wont make again. I never thought in my mind that the neighbors would kick up a stink. Although I am a live and let live type person but hey they started it so they will be getting nice visits from the council because I am tired of listening to their dog bark all day. So they either shut their dog up or they deal with the rangers. How they can complain about dogs that never barked, we not outside unless supervised and only to play and potty is beyond me but we will see how they like the rangers knocking on their door because their dog is a small yappy dog that barks all day :mad

You would be better off putting your energy into learning about greyhounds and looking into laws, regulations and best practices than wasting your time on retribution. Council will require you to provide detailed evidence before they take action on a complaint like that. Other than that, all they will do is inform the dog owners that somebody has made a complaint about them. I thought you were moving anyway?

Live and let live only applies when you act within the law. Council permission is required in most areas of Victoria to have more than two dogs.

they possibly objected to you taking the greyhounds out to play in the middle of the night cause they wouldn't settle as per your FB page. Your above post certainly shows what type of person you really are.

T.

Horrible.eek1.gif

T.

You would be better off putting your energy into learning about greyhounds and looking into laws, regulations and best practices than wasting your time on retribution. Council will require you to provide detailed evidence before they take action on a complaint like that. Other than that, all they will do is inform the dog owners that somebody has made a complaint about them. I thought you were moving anyway?

Live and let live only applies when you act within the law. Council permission is required in most areas of Victoria to have more than two dogs.

Actually its 3 dogs we can have here per the ranger that we talked too.

they possibly objected to you taking the greyhounds out to play in the middle of the night cause they wouldn't settle as per your FB page. Your above post certainly shows what type of person you really are.

Lol if taking the dogs out to run around is a crime sue me. These dogs dont bark, a 10 minute zip around the yard is hardly disturbing. I guess it is less disturbing then a dog barking all day then getting let out at 11pm to bark some more. Not sure why you feel the need to follow someone on facebook that you dont like. Is your life missing something that you need it to fill? Soaps not giving you your drama fix? yeah that I dont like listening to a dog bark all day, waking up the baby etc? Horrible person to want to live in peace and have a baby that can take a decent nap on her bed instead of being woken up and having to sleep in my room because its further away from this dog barking.

T.

Lol if taking the dogs out to run around is a crime sue me. These dogs dont bark, a 10 minute zip around the yard is hardly disturbing. I guess it is less disturbing then a dog barking all day then getting let out at 11pm to bark some more. Not sure why you feel the need to follow someone on facebook that you dont like. Is your life missing something that you need it to fill? Soaps not giving you your drama fix? yeah that I dont like listening to a dog bark all day, waking up the baby etc? Horrible person to want to live in peace and have a baby that can take a decent nap on her bed instead of being woken up and having to sleep in my room because its further away from this dog barking.

Once again you are showing your true style, it's always everybody else's fault. You should have got your permit for 3 dogs before you got 3 for instance. You should have done a lot of things but you didn't, so now you are going to take revenge on a neighbour who might not have even been the one that complained.

You dont need a permit for 3 dogs here.

Well I just came by to update on Lucky. No problem I will continue to live with the barking and whatever not my problem we are moving asap anyway so the dog can drive someone else nuts. So you have your update and all that jazz so everyone have a good Christmas and nice meeting you all.

Edited by Greylvr

You need to check what is in the legislation, not rely on what a ranger says. If you didn't have the dogs there in excess of council limits, why did they have to go?

Possibly their yappy little dog is barking more because of the dogs you have running around. Not an excuse, but a reason to be very tolerant of neighbours, to work with them, and to let them know your plans in advance.

It was very clearly explained to you the difference between private rehoming (under your own real name, no asking for donations, no publicising on FB, ) and starting a rescue organisation in the public realm. You chose to do this publicly, so you should have realised as explained earlier, that people will be watching what you do as it may affect them.

If you delete the website and FB pages that create a perception/expectation that you are a legally formed organisation, few people here will worry about what you do.

I am starting to feel as though you take everything you are told and make it your aim to do the opposite, just to spite other people. :(

You dont need a permit for 3 dogs here.

You are in the same council as me, and unless your property is more than 2 500 sq m, then your limit is 2 dogs.

You must have an awesome place.

Edited by anniek

Not sure why you feel the need to follow someone on facebook that you dont like. Is your life missing something that you need it to fill? Soaps not giving you your drama fix?

Let me tell you why (although I very much doubt you will understand).

I have worked my arse of for the last 8 years to:

1) rescue greyhounds in an ethical manner as part of GSN - with all the bells & whistles you have been advised about from various people on here but igniored - legalities, insurance, temp testing, appropriate rehoming, financial and other resources and the rest

2) Spent a lot of time this year cleaning up the mess of a good hearted person who jumped in the deep end and started rescuing greyhounds without any forethought, experience or money - does this sound familiar? To rescue from a so called rescuer is suxh a bloody waste of valualble time, because you know that once you have dug them out of the shit, they will do it all over again. Re rescuing starving flea ridden dogs which have also become aggressive due to starvation is heartbreaking. There are things worse than death - I have seen those things.

3) over the last 6 years have been involved in rescuing form hoarders - again good hearted people without the means to support what can only be called an addiction.

And finally - I live in the same council as you, and I have spent years ensuring that not only the rangers, but as many residents as possible, see what wonderful animals greyhounds are - and what lovely pets they make. You have undone some of this by being subject to a council complaint, and yes that does make me angry.

Edited by anniek

Thanks annie, for giving a first hand example of this. Greyluvr, this is exactly the reason that people took an interest and were concerned about what you were going to do in the first place.

I wish people didn't have to make mistakes themselves to learn from those that others have made. Particularly when they are so preventable. :banghead:

Not sure why you feel the need to follow someone on facebook that you dont like. Is your life missing something that you need it to fill? Soaps not giving you your drama fix?

1) rescue greyhounds in an ethical manner as part of GSN - with all the bells & whistles you have been advised about from various people on here but igniored - legalities, insurance, temp testing, appropriate rehoming, financial and other resources and the rest

2) Spent a lot of time this year cleaning up the mess of a good hearted person who jumped in the deep end and started rescuing greyhounds without any forethought, experience or money - does this sound familiar? To rescue from a so called rescuer is suxh a bloody waste of valualble time, because you know that once you have dug them out of the shit, they will do it all over again. Re rescuing starving flea ridden dogs which have also become aggressive due to starvation is heartbreaking. There are things worse than death - I have seen those things.

3) over the last 6 years have been involved in rescuing form hoarders - again good hearted people without the means to support what can only be called an addiction.

And finally - I live in the same council as you, and I have spent years ensuring that not only the rangers, but as many residents as possible, see what wonderful animals greyhounds are - and what lovely pets they make. You have undone some of this by being subject to a council complaint, and yes that does make me angry.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

If you delete the website and FB pages that create a perception/expectation that you are a legally formed organisation, few people here will worry about what you do.

very misleading when the FB page states founded in 2011

Unless the organisation is incorporated or registered as a company, it is not a real organisation at all. It's completely dodgy to solicit for public donations under a made-up name instead of through a registered organisation. It could even be regarded as fraudulent behaviour.

T.

Seriously you have been given so much great advice from people who are not only very experienced rescuers also people who are passionate and work incredibly hard for this breed. I don't want to offend you though how you have responded and acted so far screams 'train wreck' for me. I have rescued and rehomed Grey's and followed other peoples invaluable advice and guidence. Greyhounds have many stigmas attached, enormous work has been done to break down those stigmas by ensuring responsible, ethical rehomes. It is vital for this beautiful breed.

I think you are making a serious mistake with your neighbour by fighting fire with fire and calling rangers regardless if you are moving or not. Believe me I know and I did not do one thing to aggrivate my neighbours - ever!

I honestly do not want to offend you and we have all made mistakes though I agree with Greytmate, Rebanne, Annie and the others, you need to put your energy into learning, experience, training, laws, legislation, dog handling and training, responsibly rehoming etc.

Take on board advice and guidence from others who have been in the game for endless years. Even if you don't relate to it instantly, take it on board. I guarentee you will reflect and appreciate the advice at some stage.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

+1!