Junk

I'm sorry that your first foray into rescue here in Australia has been a rocky one... it is definitely a very steep learning curve, isn't it?

T.

Hey it was a learning experience and one I wont make again. I never thought in my mind that the neighbors would kick up a stink. Although I am a live and let live type person but hey they started it so they will be getting nice visits from the council because I am tired of listening to their dog bark all day. So they either shut their dog up or they deal with the rangers. How they can complain about dogs that never barked, we not outside unless supervised and only to play and potty is beyond me but we will see how they like the rangers knocking on their door because their dog is a small yappy dog that barks all day :mad

Seriously you have been given so much great advice from people who are not only very experienced rescuers also people who are passionate and work incredibly hard for this breed. I don't want to offend you though how you have responded and acted so far screams 'train wreck' for me. I have rescued and rehomed Grey's and followed other peoples invaluable advice and guidence. Greyhounds have many stigmas attached, enormous work has been done to break down those stigmas by ensuring responsible, ethical rehomes. It is vital for this beautiful breed.

I think you are making a serious mistake with your neighbour by fighting fire with fire and calling rangers regardless if you are moving or not. Believe me I know and I did not do one thing to aggrivate my neighbours - ever!

I honestly do not want to offend you and we have all made mistakes though I agree with Greytmate, Rebanne, Annie and the others, you need to put your energy into learning, experience, training, laws, legislation, dog handling and training, responsibly rehoming etc.

Take on board advice and guidence from others who have been in the game for endless years. Even if you don't relate to it instantly, take it on board. I guarentee you will reflect and appreciate the advice at some stage.

Oh I plan too take all of this in and try not to make mistakes but will be working with other rescues I have networked with and take their advice etc and work closely with them. Doesn't make sense to try to learn the ways of rescues that do things I dont agree with so will stick with the rescues that have the same goals and out look on things as I do if that makes sense. Like I said not taking in more dogs until everything is squared away and yes will leave the neighbors be if the dog continues to go batty I am sure other neighbors will complain but I don't have to deal with the dog much longer and even thinking that was bad on my part. Thanks for your post and you didn't offend me in the least you have good points.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't make sense to try to learn the ways of rescues that do things I dont agree with so will stick with the rescues that have the same goals and out look on things as I do if that makes sense.

No it doesn't make sense.

You are saying that you disagree with what you have been told by people here about running a responsible greyhound rescue. You don't want to follow laws and are not afraid of being sued if you don't follow best practice? You want to antagonise people who cross you?

Why would you expect us to believe you can be responsible about rescue at all?

Choose wisely with your "networking". There are not that many groups who know exactly what they are doing with greyhounds.

Conversely there are plenty of people who don't know how to run a rescue at all but make all sorts of outlandish claims of success and expertise.

Choose wisely with your "networking". There are not that many groups who know exactly what they are doing with greyhounds.

Conversely there are plenty of people who don't know how to run a rescue at all but make all sorts of outlandish claims of success and expertise.

like the group that won't use vets that "profit" from racing greyhounds. Who cares if they treat racing greyhounds, they have breed expertise and sometimes that's what is needed to fix the dog.

Doesn't make sense to try to learn the ways of rescues that do things I dont agree with so will stick with the rescues that have the same goals and out look on things as I do if that makes sense.

You are saying that you disagree with what you have been told by people here about running a responsible greyhound rescue. You don't want to follow laws and are not afraid of being sued if you don't follow best practice? You want to antagonise people who cross you?

Greylvr disagree's with GAP because of something on their website that she took offence too and disagrees with GSN because they were recommended to her as a good place to foster for and learn.

I certainly don't have Nic.B's faith in Greylvr doing the right thing by my breed at all.

I understand that. I also plan to get into contact with GSN and see if they would like to chat a bit after the holidays, maybe give some pointers, maybe once settled see if they need help, a foster, or any transport help or home checks. We just arnt doing any of it until after the new year. :thumbsup:

like the group that won't use vets that "profit" from racing greyhounds. Who cares if they treat racing greyhounds, they have breed expertise and sometimes that's what is needed to fix the dog.

Ah yes - that old chestnut

Using personal politics to withhold suitable vet treatment - awesome!

PR is involved. That says enough about the situation.

edit. spelink

Edited by gillbear

I understand that. I also plan to get into contact with GSN and see if they would like to chat a bit after the holidays, maybe give some pointers, maybe once settled see if they need help, a foster, or any transport help or home checks. We just arnt doing any of it until after the new year. :thumbsup:

So your finally going to do what was suggested you do BEFORE you took in a dog. This is blunt, and no doubt you will take offense, but if you had LISTENED to what people had to say and done this (and more) originally, you wouldn't have had these problems, and two dogs wouldn't have had to be moved again. Poor dogs are no doubt confused.

Greylvr disagree's with GAP because of something on their website that she took offence too and disagrees with GSN because they were recommended to her as a good place to foster for and learn.

I certainly don't have Nic.B's faith in Greylvr doing the right thing by my breed at all.

I have probably not worded my post well Rebanne and perhaps there is a lot more going on that I am not aware of.

I can definately see why there are major concerns from what has been posted already.

PR is envolved. That says enough about the situation.

Thanks for that Gillbear, I was not aware and I agree.

What a novel idea. If only someone had thought of that before. :coffee:

PR sent us the dogs one from them and one from a guy, they are not involved so much as they sent down the dogs. They had nothing to do with anything else as far as the dogs go and what happened at my house. We were not fostering for them, or anything like that so thats all I am saying regarding PR because this should not fall on their heads and they shouldnt be blamed for any of it

I have probably not worded my post well Rebanne and perhaps there is a lot more going on that I am not aware of.

I can definately see why there are major concerns from what has been posted already.

No Nic.B I really hope you are right and I am wrong

Greylvr if you are affiliated with pound rounds in any way shape or form you will live to regret it. There is not a more incompetant buch of fools in this country. I speak from experience.

Greylvr if you are affiliated with pound rounds in any way shape or form you will live to regret it. There is not a more incompetant buch of fools in this country. I speak from experience.

Sigh well like I said they sent us dogs tried to PM you but you cant receive them anyway no we took a few dogs that they sent down.

PR sent us the dogs one from them and one from a guy, they are not involved so much as they sent down the dogs. They had nothing to do with anything else as far as the dogs go and what happened at my house. We were not fostering for them, or anything like that so thats all I am saying regarding PR because this should not fall on their heads and they shouldnt be blamed for any of it

This is the purpose of screening and checking before dogs go anywhere.No one should have allowed you to take a dog without council approval to be operating as you intended. Its a lesson for everyone because they cant even trust those who are masquerading as a rescue group.

Suprise suprise! What happened to the trainer you were working with?

If you are not fostering or rescuing what exactly are you doing? adopting? or are pound rounds happy to send dogs to someone who clearly have no idea and is not able to manage the dogs?

Where is Lucky now? Animal Aid? AWL? dumped upon another rescue? Rehomed within days? or in a kill shelter?

There are various facebook pages and groups where this drama is unfolding. It seems that there is another person in Vic doing something similar as this person and they are "networking" together. I have not read it all but it appears to me one of the greys went to this person? Not sure about the other

Edited by BlackJaq

Suprise suprise! What happened to the trainer you were working with?

If you are not fostering or rescuing what exactly are you doing? adopting? or are pound rounds happy to send dogs to someone who clearly have no idea and is not able to manage the dogs?

Where is Lucky now? Animal Aid? AWL? dumped upon another rescue? Rehomed within days? or in a kill shelter?

Ina is supposed to be with another rescue and Lucky is supposed to be fostered out