Junk

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not previously commented on this thread. I have not passed judgement on the quality of that person's work either, but only assumed they did something similar to what you were planning because they said they did not have kennel and did a rescue-from-home style thing. My bad if that is not what they are doing.

You did just pass judgment on them without even knowing them. Also is it now required to kennel all dogs? So any group that uses foster homes is bad and irresponsible if they dont have them live in kennels?

How did I pass judgement? I said nothing about them needing kennels. You were the one who said you were going to keep the dogs inside your home and this person said that is what they do as well. I do not see how I have stated an untruth or passed judgement on any of these things? I merely said that it appeared to me that the two of you were "networking" and I believed the dog may have gone there.

If she didn't, then surely you could have just corrected me?

Sorry seemed you thought something was wrong with not having kennels. We did have another rescue step up to take Ina guess its good we didnt send Lucky to GSN or maybe they would be awful for "networking" with us. I guess the recent accident with FOTH makes them horrible too. I swear there is no pleasing some people. Mistakes happen and its how you learn and grow is what matters. No dogs were harmed, no dogs were put down, no dogs got dumped at a shelter so like I said shit happens and we just have to move on

The thing that you clearly don't understand is that by "helping" these two dogs, whereby they have ended up in others' care, you have actually increased the workload of others, who already have their own dogs and plans in place for taking on and rehoming dogs.

The aim of your rescue was to try and act as a safety net for the dogs that don't get to GSN, GAP, etc. That's what you seemed to try and convey. But by taking on dogs and then needing to get htem off your hands in such a hurry, others stepped up and did that for you.

If you had "sent Lucky to GSN" - what about the other dogs that GSN had planned to take that particular week? What about thier foster carers? See, all organisations have particular ways of operating, and most don't try and do it by the seat of their pants. Though lord knows that's what ends up happening sometimes.

One of the reasons joining up wtih an existing rescue would have been good, would be that you would have been able to take on a dog, so that their capacity could increase and you'd be able to assist them, provide them with some respite, and learn. Instead, you've created extra workload for everybody.

Think of it like this. You have a carton of eggs, which has the capacity to have 12 eggs. Your hens constantly produce them and sometimes you can stack them on top of the other eggs, but you REALLY only have capacity to safely hold 12 eggs. If osmeone comes along and gives you another couple of eggs, which otherwise are going to be dropped - you might be able to take them on. You'll stop the eggs from cracking, but what does that mean for the eggs that your hens are producing? You still only have room in the carton for 12.

What you have done is come along with dogs and move them on to others, who no doubt ALREADY HAVE a list of dogs that they would love to take on, and are waiting for room to take.

Does anyone else think it's time to ask Troy to lock this thread so the lessons can be learned by others, but so that it doesn't get any nastier?

*disclaimer - I'm thinking very nasty thoughts and trying not to type them - type and delete... type and delete...

:banghead:

Yep. I am usually very restrained on DOL. But this has really hit a nerve and I am so, so angry and upset. I wish things like this didn't affect me, but I just .. I actually find this whole thing really offensive. I need to go for a run or something, it's just so f********** infuriating.

What you have done is come along with dogs and move them on to others, who no doubt ALREADY HAVE a list of dogs that they would love to take on, and are waiting for room to take.

yep, wonder what happens to those dogs that have had their places taken? Hopefully it doesn't affect them.

yep, wonder what happens to those dogs that have had their places taken? Hopefully it doesn't affect them.

pretty sure it will - and another one will die in its place unfortunately - and likely one that has already been temp tested and is a lovely dog, but the trainer won't hold it forever :o

pretty sure it will - and another one will die in its place unfortunately - and likely one that has already been temp tested and is a lovely dog, but the trainer won't hold it forever :o

then it can all be blamed on the trainer :mad

then it can all be blamed on the trainer :mad

well yes - although it is the racing owners responsibility they often just leave the dog with the trainer.............

and we do have to blame someone eh?

Hmmm... I began in rescue by fostering a dog for a large rescue group, then I did a couple of private rescue/rehomes myself, and have since found a rescue that I "click" with and have fostered literally hundreds pups for them over the past 5 years. Along the way, I have met many great people from many other rescues, made wonderful friends and contacts in various pounds, etc... and while we don't always see eye to eye on various topics, we seem to manage to work with and help out each other along the way.

I have also had the privilege of learning exactly what it takes to run an ethical rescue in this day and age - and I know that it's a challenge that I really don't think I'm ready for at this stage of my life. It's not that I couldn't manage to run my own rescue ethically and well, but more of a case of I know what sort of commitment it is to get it right day after day... and that scares the bejeesus out of me.

I know you've had a rough time of your foray into rescue in Australia, and it may seem that many people are being very harsh in their summations of your efforts to date - but honestly, everyone here REALLY wants everyone involved to get it RIGHT for this particular breed. As noted, Greyhounds still have many stigmas attached in the minds of the public, and any cock-ups reflect badly on ALL Greyhound rescue, not just the one making the mistake.

T.

As noted, Greyhounds still have many stigmas attached in the minds of the public, and any cock-ups reflect badly on ALL Greyhound rescue, not just the one making the mistake.

T.

Reflects badly on ALL greyhounds. Wherever they have been obtained from.

Well.. don't I feel like a horse's ass :(

Things like this do nothing to make established rescue groups welcoming of newcomers and I know that personally, I don't think I'll be quite so inclined to- ugh, can't even finish that thought. This whole thing is just depressing.

So much advice (even if some of it was snarky), so much care from those who are passionate about the breed, just sad. And the page actually started in 2011.. I feel a bit like I've been suckered into a lie and that's not a nice feeling :(

If you delete the website and FB pages that create a perception/expectation that you are a legally formed organisation, few people here will worry about what you do.

very misleading when the FB page states founded in 2011

Seems that has been amended now to 2012...

Is it possible that you could put the rescue idea on the back-burner Greylvr and perhaps just foster Greys from a reputable Grey rescue group for a while, that way you can get valuable, useful info from that rescue group and then decide whether you want to start your own rescue.

It may be better for the dogs as well as for your peace of mind.

Well.. don't I feel like a horse's ass :(

Things like this do nothing to make established rescue groups welcoming of newcomers and I know that personally, I don't think I'll be quite so inclined to- ugh, can't even finish that thought. This whole thing is just depressing.

So much advice (even if some of it was snarky), so much care from those who are passionate about the breed, just sad. And the page actually started in 2011.. I feel a bit like I've been suckered into a lie and that's not a nice feeling :(

Well like I said it was something that happened the dogs are safe and lucky is still with us and Ina went to a great place that says she is doing well. It won't have an effect as it didn't concern anyone here really it's not like I played dogs in bad homes and something happened in public. It simply one rescue taking a dog from another which happens a lot and one dog going into a different foster home. So what effect will it have? No dogs are dying because the rescue took her, no dogs have a longer wait

If you delete the website and FB pages that create a perception/expectation that you are a legally formed organisation, few people here will worry about what you do.

very misleading when the FB page states founded in 2011

Seems that has been amended now to 2012...

It was 2012 in the part I filled out it was 2011 in the drop down window for some reason

I would think you guys would be more concerned about the recent attack and killing that happened to 1 rescue surprised you guys aren't lynching them ba things can happen doesn't mean the people they happen to are bad people

I would think you guys would be more concerned about the recent attack and killing that happened to 1 rescue surprised you guys aren't lynching them ba things can happen doesn't mean the people they happen to are bad people

I find that attack very concerning but then, from what I understand of the situation, the co-ordinator of that group also finds it very concerning and is looking into it further.

In this case though, you were given some very sound advice but chose not to follow it. This wasn't an unfortunate accident- I'm sorry to sound harsh here but the situation was preventable. I don't rush to judgement on anyone- I'd not been stalking you on FB or following you around groups to get information, I just believed what I was told. It's just disappointing when someone promishes they will do things properly but then they don't because they get caught up in the excitement of getting dogs in and it all goes downhill from there.

Well like I said it was something that happened the dogs are safe and lucky is still with us and Ina went to a great place that says she is doing well. It won't have an effect as it didn't concern anyone here really it's not like I played dogs in bad homes and something happened in public. It simply one rescue taking a dog from another which happens a lot and one dog going into a different foster home. So what effect will it have? No dogs are dying because the rescue took her, no dogs have a longer wait

You don't know where those dogs are going to end up, and you have no way of controlling whether they go to good or bad homes because you don't have any paperwork to say you own them anyway.

This has happened in public, you published requests for help on the internet. Your website and FB can be seen by anyone. Local government now has a complaint about greyhounds on record.

When rescues take on too much and then have to desperately ask other rescues for urgent help to take their dogs, its a bad thing, no matter how frequently it happens.

yes bad thing happen, mistakes are made. Point is you were offered lots of advice and chose to ignore it all so mistakes were made, mistakes that could have been avoided. Now you are trying to deflect attention away from you to someone else. Same as not accepting that your failure to take on board the advice offered are the reason Ina and Lucky are now in someone else's care. But that's the naughty neighbours fault isn't it, nothing to do with you at all.

So what effect will it have? No dogs are dying because the rescue took her, no dogs have a longer wait

Perhaps the dog that was going to go to the carer that now has 'your' dog is dead, as the carer is no longer available to take it :shrug:

Edited by anniek