What Breed

DobieMum

How about you not get another dog?

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/244544-cinder/

This is me and this is my daughters dog, we have all put time and effort into this little girl and she is a fantastic dog because of it. But when I see the poor little girl tumbling because my Dobies are to rough because they're running around with each other, it's not fair on Cinder. My daughter has had a lot if fun with Cinder and wants to continue on with the dogs. I worry about Cinder being hurt.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou for all if your comments. The answer to the Dobies, is they're still a little to big for my daughter, otherwise yep she'd be stuck with them. Not necessarily looking just yet, my Daughter's been told she could be waiting for up to a year before it happens, just wanted to get some ideas and Thankyou getting some great ones.

If she is keen on the lure coursing a Whippet could do that and agility. If she is leaning more towards agility a Border Collie would be perfect. I rarely recommend my own breed but they are easily trained by kids from that age if they are from a dog savvy family who are used to a demanding breed,

Are BCs 'playing' dogs though to go with the dobes? The ones I've seen at the park and herding have been quite aloof and just focussed on their handler - are they different in their home environment?

Aussie shepherd sprung to mind for the agility, not sure about the lure coursing tho.

A Border might play with the Dobes or it might just ignore them. They do prefer their own breed to play with and do not get on usually with terriers, especially the bull ones but often are happy to play with some other dogs. Some really don't play even if they live with other Borders. It is more an individual dog thing than a breed issue but above all they will want to be with the owner so will bond well with a child who trains them.

How about you not get another dog?

http://www.dolforums.../244544-cinder/

This is me and this is my daughters dog, we have all put time and effort into this little girl and she is a fantastic dog because of it. But when I see the poor little girl tumbling because my Dobies are to rough because they're running around with each other, it's not fair on Cinder. My daughter has had a lot if fun with Cinder and wants to continue on with the dogs. I worry about Cinder being hurt.

ETA: can't be bothered.

Edited by Sheridan

Guest crickets

If you like the Dobe what about a German Pinscher?

At the top of my list would be the PBGV.

Also Tibetan Terrier & Standard Schnauzer.

What about something like a staffy?

Do you mean a Staffordshire Bull Terrier or a generic brindle pound mutt "staffy"?

IMO no correct natured SBT is going to play nice with a bunch of Dobes who try to do a tough guy act.

Staffords tend to like to play games involving wrestling, leg biting and charging into each other and other random objects in their environment at high speed and seeing who can stand up afterwards, all the time growling and mouthing like tasmanian devils - probably not the ideal playmate material for dogs who already think they can "play rough".

Interesting because Dobes are one of the most common breeds used in Junior handlers which starts at 7 yrs because they are so adaptable,trainable & respond to little or alot of encouragement

They are used in handlers because once trained by an adult they are very reliable. They need a very strong leader to do the initial training and are not a breed I would consider suitable for a child to train. Kids need soft biddable breeds that won't challenge them so BCs, Goldies and possibly Aussies would all suit and be able to do agility. No matter what breed the OP gets they will have to protect it from the boisterous Dobes as a puppy to avoid injury.

It seems to me that a dog with prey drive enough to be really into lure coursing may not be a great first dog for a child? I know lots of dogs enjoy coursing, it just depends on how seriously you want them to take it.

All dogs like to chase.

It's just some are better at it than others.

A staffordshire Bull Terrier puppy introduced into a "pack" i.e. a family & their various other pets, will accept all & sundry as their fellow pack members.

Which is why you see so many photos of staffies happily curled up with cats for e.g. It's the cat that is introduced second that never makes the happy snaps. Pun unintended.

A staffy (which btw, is the universally used affectionate name for the SBT, are not some brindle xbreed pound hound)will happily play with any dogs without becoming the slavering bash & barge chew 'em up beast Sandra 777 would have you believe.

Sad that a SBT owner would even promote such a myth.

The staffy would be an ideal fit for what the o.p is seeking.

It ticks every box.

First & foremost, they adore children & are small enough for an eleven year old to easily handle.

They are low maintenance.

They are intelligent & easy to train.

They can anything any other dog can do....& then some.

They are ultimate all round dog.

A staffy would be good but are very strong natured dogs and need very strong leadership. It depends very much on the young girl's attitude to dog training. I'd be looking at something more biddable and not so headstrong as a first dog. Also she may want to go quite far in agility and a staffy may not be able to take her there

Edited by mixeduppup

I think an Aussie Shepherd could work but I would ask the breeder for a softer natured, unboisterous one, and you would have to work on keeping the excitement under control from day one, as they can be excitable and jumpy ie. mine. It's very easy for her to accidentally hurt people, especially children, because she loves people so much she wants to jump all over them. She doesn't live with children though so still finds them quite the novelty. She is very trainable but has quite a strong will, her litter sister on the other hand has a much softer and more biddable nature which I think would be better for a child handler.

She has no problem playing rough, including body slamming, shoulder charging, leg grabbing, being dragged around by the scruff :laugh:

A smooth Collie, might work. You'd need to cherry pick bloodlines but that's not a problem. I've had Collies and Dobies together and it is doable, but the roughs do get fed up if they don't get time out smooths are a bit hardier that way. They're excellent for juniors doing dogsports and they can do agility.