Dry Food Specifically For Itchy Dogs

westiemum

I'm a predominantly raw feeder with occasional dry food for my three westies. I've been using Black Hawk and think its a really good product but my 11 year old itchy girl seems to be licking and scratching a lot more on it.

So I'm wondering what other dry food people recommend for itchy dogs? Grain free? Or no dry food at all? I find they enjoy the variety and occasional dry food breaky. I'd love to try Ziwipeak but the cost is out of this world.

Thanks for any advice. :)

My puppy was on Blackhawk but I noticed he scratched a lot (my girl was on it too but she was fine). I've swapped him to Eagle Pack puppy and he is doing really and no more itching. His coat is better too. It costs a fair bit more though.

My dogs had skin problems on Black Hawk. There has been quite a lot of mention of it in the Black Hawk thread.

When we recently took on a Pom pup he was on Black Hawk, and in lovely health. But had scurfy skin. He was on Optimum for a couple of weeks and still scurfy until I won some Canidae PureSea at a show. He has stayed on that and has flake free, non itchy skin. It's a really nice food.

I'm another who had their pup on black hawk and ended up with a pup who scratched and bit her coat terribly, I can say its taken months to get her back to "normal" I wish I never went near the stuff. I think you will find that the itching and scratching will only get worse and worse while your dogs on the black hawk.

I'd remove the black hawk entirrwly and go to raw diet plus omega blend oil. It can take up to and over 6-8 weeks for the kibble to get in and out of their systems,.

Edited by Tara8430

Thanks all for your excellent advice - I'll take your advice on the Black Hawk. And have a look at the thread. Anyone in Adelaide like the rest of the open 20kg bag? :)

After some research, it seems Taste of the Wild or Canidae are the way to go? Where's the best place to get them please?

Hi Westielover :wave: Good to hear from you!! I don't feed much dry either - occasionally for brekkie (1/4 cup each only!)and a little for occasional treats but thats it - but I think it shows how sensitive my westie girl is - it seems to take vey little to make her itch. Maybe I should forget the dry and go back to raw only! :)

ETA: Whoops - just saw your link for Taste of the Wild - thanks Westielover! :thumbsup:

Edited by westiemum

Hi Westiemum, I feed raw 90% of the time but sometimes I have to feed kibble as I have forgotten to take out the minced turkey necks from the freezer. I feed the little guys Earthborn (usually on special) and Pure Sky grain free duck or salmon

http://www.naturalpetstore.com.au/d/1305/6/dry-dog-food/adult/canidae-grain-free-pure-sea-with-salmon-meal---2.27kg/

http://www.naturalpetstore.com.au/d/MW71450/6/dry-dog-food/adult/earthborn-holistic-primitive-natural-grain-free-dog-food-2.5kg/

it is only $5 postage to city areas and sometimes they put in a treat as well.

The only drawback is that I have to pick up Penny and Daisy's poo really quickly as Mac will eat it...he is so proud of himself when he find their kibble-flavoured poo!

They all love it and Penny doesn't get the itchies.

Westimum Canidae's stockists are here: http://www.canidae.com.au/stockists

When I was looking they didn't have a suppier in my area so I emailed Canidae. They got back to me quickly and recommended Paws for Life website who do discounts for reoccurring orders and I was happy with that.

Good luck! I too was disappointed with Black Hawk as the dogs loved it and it was Aussie made and affordable. But skin-wise I guess it just didn't suit them.

Our boy was also itchy on Black Hawk, interestingly our girl did well on it. Alfie is currently on the grain free,fish based Holistic Select. Up until the last few days when it has been very hot and humid he has been itch free. We supplement it with fresh oily fish , the odd egg and natural yoghurt ( not all at once). They also get manuka honey once a week.

He was good on the Canidae as well but I found it hard to get delivered at a time when we were home. The local pet cafe orders the Holistic Select in for us. I have also found sponging him with Erny's calendula tea recipe really helps when he does get break through itchies.

He was on the Royal Canin Skin Support from the vet - but got itchy again when they changed the formula. Hope it settles quickly for her, it is awful watching them scratch.

Hi Westiemum, I feed raw 90% of the time but sometimes I have to feed kibble as I have forgotten to take out the minced turkey necks from the freezer. I feed the little guys Earthborn (usually on special) and Pure Sky grain free duck or salmon

http://www.naturalpetstore.com.au/d/1305/6/dry-dog-food/adult/canidae-grain-free-pure-sea-with-salmon-meal---2.27kg/

http://www.naturalpetstore.com.au/d/MW71450/6/dry-dog-food/adult/earthborn-holistic-primitive-natural-grain-free-dog-food-2.5kg/

it is only $5 postage to city areas and sometimes they put in a treat as well.

The only drawback is that I have to pick up Penny and Daisy's poo really quickly as Mac will eat it...he is so proud of himself when he find their kibble-flavoured poo!

They all love it and Penny doesn't get the itchies.

Thanks very much B for the info. Gotta love our Westie Macs! LOL! :)