Restraing Dogs On Utes

WExtremeG

after seeing literally thousands of terrified dogs slip-sliding around the backs of utes and cab chassis vehicles at 100 km/hour plus on country roads and highways alike.

Really? That's amazing. I dont think I've even seen thousands of dogs being walked let alone slip sliding around on utes. You must live in Canine Central.

after seeing literally thousands of terrified dogs slip-sliding around the backs of utes and cab chassis vehicles at 100 km/hour plus on country roads and highways alike. I've seen parked vehicles with hung dogs (yep, dead because they couldn't quite reach the ground when they jumped over the side), I've seen dogs dragged along while the vehicle was moving (yep, dead because they couldn't scramble back onto the tray when they fell or jumped off the side), I've seen dogs hit by vehicles because they've come off the back, and I've lost count of how many I've almost hit for the same reason.
<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);">

sounds an awfully high proportion of dogs in utes ..and accidents!

Glad I am not the only one who smells BS.."literally thousands".. :lie:

Pretty sure most of us would have only seen a minority of dogs not secured correctly on the back of utes NOT including working dogs while working as they are required to jump on/off as necessary and during this time the vehicle is driven accordingly - not hooning.

Having grown up on a farm we value our dogs far too much to risk stupidity, unfortunately there will always be a minority who feel superior to think their training skills are greater than most or just don't give a shit - an injured or dead dog is the only way some people will learn.

Cages are becoming more popular and not just for the piggers either, have seen plenty of work utes with heavy duty cages, I'm in the Outer Suburbs and see heaps of HD cages set up for dogs and tools - safety all round.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So on a trip to town and back today (40 kms round trip) I counted:

one golden retriever tethered with a standard 6 foot lead on its collar - dog could have easily come off the tray as it was standing right on the edge and still had slack in the lead

five working dogs in a four compartment cage without any water or shade but at least the dogs were secure (just over-heated on a metal tray in metal cages)

a kelpie completely unsecured on a ute (not a tray but a tub), standing with front paws on the cab's roof while on the old highway at around 90 kms/hour (speed limit is 80 but that's not important)

And that's in one trip.

A husky needs a breeze in the middle of winter when its coat is wet and muddy...well I've learnt something today...I thought they felt the cold the same as other breeds...in fact I'm sure that when I saw a documentary on sled dogs in Alaska not that long ago, every dog had either an outdoor shelter to itself (fully insulated) or the team was kept indoors in purpose-built sheds...because they feel the cold just the same as other breeds of dog. But perhaps there was some other (unstated) reason...

LMBC - I'd appreciate it if you'd provide examples to back up your claims of my apparent inability to care for my own dogs or remove the relevant comments.

A husky needs a breeze in the middle of winter when its coat is wet and muddy...well I've learnt something today...I thought they felt the cold the same as other breeds...in fact I'm sure that when I saw a documentary on sled dogs in Alaska not that long ago, every dog had either an outdoor shelter to itself (fully insulated) or the team was kept indoors in purpose-built sheds...because they feel the cold just the same as other breeds of dog. But perhaps there was some other (unstated) reason...

Are you still carrying on with your waffle? The huskies in Antarctica didnt have shelters. They were tethered in the snow. It's what the breed was developed for. And the reason I know that is because a friend of mine was the dog man in Antarctica before the huskies were removed. Deary me, LM. You really do go on with some gumf.

Mixeduppup -

I agree with you about farmers 'protecting their investment'. Its about time too.

Though I treat my $70 dog the same as I treat my $6000 dog ;)

(I know that is not what you were implying)

It's probably dangerous to have a giant breed right next to the driver in the front. I wouldn't be doing it even if it wasn't a ball of mud.

Since when is a husky a giant breed? Medium, yes. Not giant.

And of course if a dog travels in a vehicle it ought to be restrained regardless of where its travelling. So how is that dangerous and for whom or what?

Gee I realise this is yet another personal issue between folks but for me to be accused of posting BS and then for others to post exactly that when I'm being honest is a little bit ridiculous...but typical for said folks.

What exactly should I be giving up? Asking for someone to explain what they meant when they made vague references to my supposed inability to care for my own dogs? How is that inappropriate?

Raz - they did have shelters. Yes the dogs were tethered in the snow but they don't LIVE out there.

Jo I'm not "having a go" but asking a legitimate question that remains unanswered. Why don't you perhaps ask Esky to answer the question instead of constantly going on at me for asking it? Just because you may have a friendship there (and I don't know if you do) doesn't mean the question is any less valid. Had someone else posed it, would you feel the same way and demand they stop wanting to know the answer?

Why don't you stop having a go at me whenever I raise valid points and questions?

Mixeduppup -

I agree with you about farmers 'protecting their investment'. Its about time too.

Though I treat my $70 dog the same as I treat my $6000 dog ;)

(I know that is not what you were implying)

No, of course not. I think every dog should be crated if it is an option. I've seen some super valuable dogs come into the vet with extensive injuries because they jumped off or fell off the back of the ute and some are ruined for life. A guy I used to know a few years back had a brilliant yard dog, it had great lines and cost him about $5000 and he adored this dog and he used to let it sit in the back of the ute on the farm untethered and one day he was driving along, it saw stock and jumped off and broke its leg, it healed but it was always weak and it could have all been avoided by tethering or caging him. As far as I'm concerned, monetary worth has nothing to do with the true "value" of a good working dog but you're going to lose out much more on a good working dog than an Ok working dog if it comes off the back. It's just smart to secure all dogs properly. I think it may be an ego thing, you see dogs walking around untethered in tray backs and you see the arrogant guy driving usually.

I think you will find Esky has a canopy so he dog is protected but gets better airflow than when inside the cab.

My dog would be in the canopy as well if it was covered in mud!!!!

I have seen thousands of dogs in utes etc.

I live in a rural community and also worked at the vet hospital where we attempted to piece them back together when it all goes wrong.

I am not sure I have seen thousands injured due to back of ute mishaps.

I have seen dogs hung, fallen off then run over, fallen off and shredded, fallen off and broken up, fallen off and killed. I have seen a couple of dogs have eyes taken out and I have seen some close calls.

I have also seen many well restrained, safe dogs who are tethered or crated correctly and have long and happy lives.

I would say due to my place of employment I would have seen more than the average person.

Have you seen the size of esky's dog in person? Have you been to sledding? Have you seen the size of malamutes? You should give up implying esky is a bad owner for putting her dog in the back after sledding. I would challenge anyone who posted untrue things and I regularly do so you probably shouldn't feel so special :laugh:

LMBC - I'd appreciate it if you'd provide examples to back up your claims of my apparent inability to care for my own dogs or remove the relevant comments.

I didn't say dogs, I said animals, and the most recent example I can think of is your recent purchasing and dumping of several different horses as if they were toys, because they weren't 'what you were looking for'. Not exactly what I would call responsible ownership.

I could give more examples, and even go back and quote all your old posts for proof, but a) I can't be bothered and b) this thread has already been derailed enough but it might be worth thinking about next time you feel the need to comment on what other people do with their own pets.

I also hate dogs in utes. OH keeps wanting to take Kaos for a drive in the Hilux and i keep saying no. He grew up on a farm and dogs on utes are the way of life.

I told him if we do it, she has to have her crate bolted in, and shade, a good floor and water... with all that effort we are just better off to take my car where she can fit in the back with us people :)

I have been in trouble a lot with dogs in utes at work, if i see them not tied in properly i will tell the owner, i will also go out and give the dogs a bowl of cold water if hot and have even taken out some old jumpers we had and told the owner to put them under the dogs feet because it was obvious it was too hot for them to stand.

Some people are just idiots :(

:laugh: Somehow this thread ended up all about me.

Yes, Esky rides in the tray in her crate. I don't have a canopy for a couple of reasons

a) I think one would be worth more than the car 2) I can fit 1 crate and 1 racing scooter in the back of the ute and the canopy would make that hard

Down the track I'd like to have a custom dog box made up.

When she rides inside the car she spends most of the time smooshed up against the window sniffing and trying to get air. The husky grins and the fact that she moves around get the most breeze on her while she's in the back, that tells me she's not cold. I doubt there would be this much fuss going on if I had a single cab ;)

Have you seen the size of esky's dog in person? Have you been to sledding? Have you seen the size of malamutes? You should give up implying esky is a bad owner for putting her dog in the back after sledding. I would challenge anyone who posted untrue things and I regularly do so you probably shouldn't feel so special :laugh:

Actually, I've got friends of the family who are sledders with teams of huskies. I know what size the dogs are...I have been to a few of the meets as well, around the Canberra region and in the highlands. I understood Esky's dog to be a husky, so if its a Mal I can see why you might think it a giant breed as a Mal would be classified as large rather than medium. But not giant.

I still don't see how a "breeze", mid-winter, blowing onto a dog which is wet and muddy, is in the animal's best interests. If anyone (not singling out any individuals here) could enlighten me, that would be great. From what was said in the post to which I refer, Esky implied that the dog rides on the tray because it is wet and muddy and Esky would prefer not to have to clean the cabin because of the dog's state following a sledding meet. Now it seems that the original reasoning has been altered since my post questioning the dog's comfort while riding on the tray...

I didn't say dogs, I said animals, and the most recent example I can think of is your recent purchasing and dumping of several different horses as if they were toys, because they weren't 'what you were looking for'. Not exactly what I would call responsible ownership.

I could give more examples, and even go back and quote all your old posts for proof, but a) I can't be bothered and b) this thread has already been derailed enough but it might be worth thinking about next time you feel the need to comment on what other people do with their own pets.

So you believe that responsibly re-homing a horse which isn't suitable to the rider's ability or needs is the equivalent of "dumping"? That's just ridiculous but it's your opinion to which you are entitled of course.

You also imply that nobody should comment on anybody's pet ownership because, let's face it, we all get something wrong - none of us is perfect - and at least I firstly admitted that the horses in question were not appropriate and secondly I didn't merely "dump" them at the auctions as their previous owners had done, but I took the time to find each one the most suitable home available. One of the horses in question had been through the same auction at least three times BEFORE I bought her...is it any wonder she had serious but correctable problems? In the right hands, i.e a trainer with many years experience under his belt, she came along beautifully and is now a pony club mount doing quite well. If that's "dumping" the horse, then I'm a dumper, and if that's not in the best interests of the horse, then I don't know what is other than keeping it and both horse and owner being miserable and unable to enjoy a positive relationship. But that's better (in your opinion?) than re-homing the horse to someone who can bring out its best?