Restraing Dogs On Utes

WExtremeG

Yes some horrible things can happen if the dog is not restrained properly. My neighbour ran over his Rottweiler a few years ago after it fell off his ute :(

I was very carefully with chain (length, position and checking for loosening) when had my ute. I don't think I would have a dog just tethered if the ute didn't have side panels. If it is just the plain tray I would definitely install a cage. I also had some rubber matting fitted.

Edited by LisaCC

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there are side panels and we're getting rubber matting :) I do not want any of her body to be able to get over the side...thankyou all for your advise :) I do not want anything bad to happen to my dog.

Would an anchor mount fitted to the floor (in the middle) of the tray work better than one installed higher up- or does it not really matter where it is (as long as it prevents the dog from jumping up)?

My ute was second hand and already had an anchor mount on the floor (still close to the cab) and then one higher up. Used both, settled on the floor. Seemed safer, allowed the dog to lay down with as short a length as possible and still be able to sit. If your dog/s prefer to stand to steady themselves rather than lie it might be different though.

Most dogs love being in the back of a ute, especially the farm dogs, it's a way of life for them. As long as they are properly tied in...not like what I saw just last week...I was out walking my small dog and this ute (tray top) went flying around the corner with two what looked like hunting/pig dogs on the back. Not tied in and they were both barking at me and my dog. As the ute rounded the corner I could see them slipping and could hear their claws scrabbling for grip. I was afraid they'd slip off and come at me and my dog. Stupid moron driver/owner.

I've watched a dog walk backwards off the side of a ute. The chain wouldn't be long enough for front legs but when the dog backed off he got his back legs over the side. Terrifying. I was on my horn to alert the driver. My heart was in my mouth.

A chain only long enough for them to stand up anchored to the floor in the middle of the tray and towards the front is best.

Do be aware though that it will not stop eye injuries from rocks etc that are flicked up - yes I have seen it.

I am guessing you have a GSD from your picture? If so most GSD's would be long enough to be tethered correctly and still get their back feet over the side of a ute tray.

Personally I think a cage bolted to the floor with shade cloth attatched to the front and down the sides to be the safest. Cannot hang anything off, less likely to get the dog hit by a high speed projectile and if there is a roof over the top, less likely to have issues with the sun or rain.

A chain only long enough for them to stand up anchored to the floor in the middle of the tray and towards the front is best.

Do be aware though that it will not stop eye injuries from rocks etc that are flicked up - yes I have seen it.

I am guessing you have a GSD from your picture? If so most GSD's would be long enough to be tethered correctly and still get their back feet over the side of a ute tray.

Personally I think a cage bolted to the floor with shade cloth attatched to the front and down the sides to be the safest. Cannot hang anything off, less likely to get the dog hit by a high speed projectile and if there is a roof over the top, less likely to have issues with the sun or rain.

Yep, a GSD :D when I had her cross-tied, there was no way she could have gotten one or both hind legs over the side I made sure!!! (I would never forgive myself if something ever happened to her that was my fault)- we only went down our street as it was her first time ever (she seemed to really enjoy it ) Thanks for your insight though- believe me, I'm keeping everything in mind (: I'm thinking either removeable bolt on cage or anchor point on floor, in the middle at the front with enough chain to sit or lie down confortably without being able to move around. Leaning more towards the cage though, as like you said you can add shade cloth to protect against the sun and projectiles.

For me lack of sufficient shade is the biggest problem with dogs on utes. No dog should ever be confined with no shade. the other worry is that the dog has no protection in the event of an accident. A well secured crate with a solid insulated top is the only way dogs should travel on the back of utes on public roads.

A cage also has the advantage of being *some* protection if heaven forbid you should have a roll-over. Also, you can padlock a cage if you need to leave the dog for a short period,say, to duck into a shop or something, and that gives some protection from theft.

I had a dog fell off once. He was securely tied but the plastic bit (snap)on his collar broke. He fell and split his head. He survived with a few stiches. Now I put a crate in and use two leads looped through the bars behind the cabin (not notted but looped through the handle). I then thread a lead through a few bars of the crate (up the sides) and clip on. One on each side so crate can't move backwards or sideways. But can be removed easily when not in use.

I've seen some terrible results from dogs not being tied to utes. One dog jumped off and got hit in traffic. Another kelpie I know was on the back and jumped off to go and chase sheep and landed on a rock and broke his leg. Another jumped off and broke its hip. It's not hard to tie a dog up. :mad

There was a campaign a few years back with the slogan, 'An untethered dog is a dead dog.' Some people must've missed that one on the gold coast as I see dogs loose in the back of utes every day.

Or some people are deadset bogans and ask you what 'tethered' means whilst drinking a beer behind the wheel. We have heaps of pig hunters around here and there are some that couldn't give a shit about their dog's welfare. :mad

Many years ago my dear dad had his favourite Border Collie girl, untethered in the back of his truck. He ducked into the hardware store, hearing all sorts of commotion outside he ran back out to find his girl had jumped out of the truck to chase a bird, straight under an oncomming bus who was unable to stop in time. It was an horific scene as you can imagine. She was killed instantly. Dad was an absolute mess. Took him along time to collect himself. Had to get an Ambo as he collasped at the scene. Poor Whiskey was a beautiful girl & Dad just adored her.

A lesson learn't the very hard way. From that day on, he installed a very secure SS hook type fastener to the middle of the back of the truck cab & a very strong, rather short lead & heavy duty SS clip on the end. Dog couldn't go near the sides.

What is it with Tradies & their dogs in the back of their utes??? I understand dad was sick of getting his tools of the trade stolen out of the back but he ended up paying the ultimate price...

Ive got an attachment point at the front of he tray below the cab window. If she rides like that she is harnessed in and i also have longer neckline should the harness attachment break.

Now a days she normally just gets crated in the tray though. It's a lot less stress for me and i know she can't go anywhere.

I once saw a very very shiny new Ford SS ute with a dog in the back....the ute was electric blue, and as I went to overtake, I looked sideways and saw the dog was wearing a matching electric blue body harness attached to the ute....very cute :laugh: ....Big muscular looking mixed bull breed type dog...two very very blokey looking blokes in the cab....but I bet they were so chuffed they got a harness to match!!!! :laugh:

I once saw a very very shiny new Ford SS ute with a dog in the back....the ute was electric blue, and as I went to overtake, I looked sideways and saw the dog was wearing a matching electric blue body harness attached to the ute....very cute :laugh: ....Big muscular looking mixed bull breed type dog...two very very blokey looking blokes in the cab....but I bet they were so chuffed they got a harness to match!!!! :laugh:

Thats so cute laugh.gif

Yes I think it is way to hot for them in Summer. Those utes with the galvanised trays would be like standing on hot coals & they are very slippery too.

No shade for them either :(

Crate in by far the safest option. To get from A to B. You couldn't leave them out in the elements for any length of time though IMHO.