Koko, Star Of Red Dog, Dies

Curlybert

tweet0EmailPrintRED DOG DIES

December 18, 2012, 1:10 pm

Koko, the canine star of hit Aussie film Red Dog, has reportedly died in Perth aged seven of congestive heart disease.

Fairfax has reported that the film's producer, Nelson Woss, was devastated to lose his "best mate."

"I'll miss his companionship, his remarkable outgoing, friendly nature and the many long walks that we enjoyed together in Perth and around the country," Woss said.

Koko, a red cloud kelpie, came to live with Woss in retirement after the film was completed, having originally been found by one of the film's dog trainers to star in the film. Koko reportedly learned over 50 commands for the film.

Red Dog, based on the legendary true story of a red dog who united a disparate local community while roaming the Australian outback, was a surprise success for the Australian film industry, earning more than $20 million to become one of the top ten grossing Australian films in history.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com/on-show/article/-/15664634/red-dog-dies/

R.I.P. Gorgeous boy. xxx :rainbowbridge:

I heard Koko's breeder talking on Radio National. She said she'd loved him & knew he was special, right from the time he was a baby puppy.

When the producer, Nelson, was introduced to her at a show (he was looking for a dog to play Red Dog), she told him she had a very special lad. Nelson was impressed with him, too.... but the breeder said he could take him on condition he was returned to her & her husband at the end of filming. However, she said the pair bonded so strongly during the filming that she couldn't bear to part them.

When Koko died, she said Nelson phoned her, distraught with grief. He'd truly lost his best mate.

So sad a loss.