Dry Food Options For A Dog That Poos A Lot!

Rosiesmum

My 10 mo Cav is on Blackhawk she is healthy lovely coat no wind but she poos a lot or what seems like a lot to me (3-4 times a day?)

The poo is solid so perhaps I should leave well enough alone and perhaps this is a normal amount of poo.

I don't really want to pay more than the $90 I pay for a 20kg bag of Blackhawk.

Any recommendations?

Dogs poop out what they put in, a lot of poo isn't unhealthy. It might just mean there is a it of useless stuff in the food she's not absorbing so her body is getting rid of it.

Maybe a better quality or different food if you're worried, but personally I'd not change food if everything is fine except for poo quantity.

Hi

She weighs 5.5kg she is currently having about 75g twice a day pf BH puppy. She has liver treats, dentastix, chicken wings frozen, pork chews. Only one small treat a day or if we are trying to train her.

Thanks will check the link out

Raw food unfortunately doesn't agree with one of our dogs - gives her an upset stomach and makes her poo's very, very sloppy and more frequent. Just so you know, raw doesn't agree with all dogs. Our dogs are fed dry kibble, and will poo between 3-5 times/day.

Hi

She weighs 5.5kg she is currently having about 75g twice a day pf BH puppy. She has liver treats, dentastix, chicken wings frozen, pork chews. Only one small treat a day or if we are trying to train her.

It may not be the BH causing her to poo more often, it is most likely one or a combinatiion of the ones above I have bolded. My two BC'shave been on BH for 2 years now. They poo twice a day & it is always firm & easy to pick up, but if I give them more than a couple of dried liver treats it gives them "the poos" & I stay away from anything "pork" as this will do the same thing.

My BC's lost weight on Black Hawk & their poo's were softish... & lots more... I had to get them off it.

I had the same experience when we were trying to find a kibble suitable for a grey puppy. The amount of poo from BH was just insane (some that looked like they should have come from a much bigger dog) and even though he was eating a lot, he was dropping weight steadily. It was a terrible experience.

Decided just to feed raw in the end (no vegetables or other rubbishy additives) and he's doing great. It also ended up costing less.

Raw if you want to really cut the crap (pardon the pun). :D

:laugh: Worth trying raw.

I have started looking at the raw food thread. There is so much information my head is spinning!

Is a raw food diet much more expensive than a dry food diet?

At $90 a bag, I doubt it! :D

Take her off the dentastix. They would be adding to the problem. Chicken necks will do the same for the teeth and give better results at the other end.

RosiesMum,

Not sure where in VIC you are but ISISS here makes raw food that has it all in there, muscle meat, minced bones, veggies, offal etc etc....

She delivers the food to most areas and has a few different varieties like beef, chicken etc...

For me it's a lot cheaper to buy it off her, She does it cheaper than i can get the raw ingredients!

She also uses all human grade foods.

I feed half their days worth of food with her mix, the other half raw meaty bones.

I guess for a smaller dog, you could feed the mix one day and raw meaty bone the next day to get the benefits of feeding the bones for their teeth, jaws etc..?

Here is a link to her profile on here, not sure how often she gets here but if you are interested I can sms her and tell her to contact you :)

ooops sorry i forgot to add the actual link in there! :laugh:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/user/7788-isiss/

Edited by oonga

Hi

It may not be the BH causing her to poo more often, it is most likely one or a combinatiion of the ones above I have bolded. My two BC'shave been on BH for 2 years now. They poo twice a day & it is always firm & easy to pick up, but if I give them more than a couple of dried liver treats it gives them "the poos" & I stay away from anything "pork" as this will do the same thing.

I agree with this. Recently I started to give on of mine Dentastix before I had her teeth cleaned by the vet and she put on weight quite quickly ...

After the dental she couldn't have anything like that of course and I've cut down and within a week she'd lost .2 of a kilo which is significant when you are small!

Although some of those items may sound healthy, I think they all contain heaps of fat and additives and that might well be causing the poop.

That said, you still want to be able to give hyour dog some treats but just stick to low fat options and natural things.

RosiesMum,

Not sure where in VIC you are but ISISS here makes raw food that has it all in there, muscle meat, minced bones, veggies, offal etc etc....

She delivers the food to most areas and has a few different varieties like beef, chicken etc...

For me it's a lot cheaper to buy it off her, She does it cheaper than i can get the raw ingredients!

She also uses all human grade foods.

I feed half their days worth of food with her mix, the other half raw meaty bones.

I guess for a smaller dog, you could feed the mix one day and raw meaty bone the next day to get the benefits of feeding the bones for their teeth, jaws etc..?

Here is a link to her profile on here, not sure how often she gets here but if you are interested I can sms her and tell her to contact you :)

I don't think she comes on here much anymore, if at all but I agree that her mix is wonderful and so affordable, and well Isiss is just ace :D

I have started looking at the raw food thread. There is so much information my head is spinning!

Is a raw food diet much more expensive than a dry food diet?

For a small dog it's cheap enough just to by a commercial raw diet such as Dr Billinghurst, Big Dog, Country Canine etc.