Itchy Bull Mastiff

GraceMcC

Can anyone recommend any products they have used for a dog that suffers itchy skin?

I have taken my boy to the vet in the past regarding the issue and could only put it down to his surroundings. He does only seem to get bothered around this time of year. I have used shampoos (Malaseb etc.) as recommended by vets in the past which do help but I wander if anyone else can recommend maybe a homemade treatment they found soothing?

He's treated regularly for flees and I haven't found any on him...

Any information would be helpful. Also names of website's if anyone knows any for the above information I am after.

I do realize someone may have already posted a similar thread as above but my computer is being unbearably slow at the moment making it difficult for me to go through them! (sorry!). :)

THANKS!!

Can anyone recommend any products they have used for a dog that suffers itchy skin?

I have taken my boy to the vet in the past regarding the issue and could only put it down to his surroundings. He does only seem to get bothered around this time of year. I have used shampoos (Malaseb etc.) as recommended by vets in the past which do help but I wander if anyone else can recommend maybe a homemade treatment they found soothing?

He's treated regularly for flees and I haven't found any on him...

Any information would be helpful. Also names of website's if anyone knows any for the above information I am after.

I do realize someone may have already posted a similar thread as above but my computer is being unbearably slow at the moment making it difficult for me to go through them! (sorry!). :)

THANKS!!

If you're having ongoing itchy problems that your Vet is unable to assist you with you would be best asking for a referral to a dermatologist otherwise it's all guessing which is a waste of your money and time.

Perhaps in the meantime you could try Erny's Tea remedy. I've used it on a dog with a seasonal contact allergy and it works. There's lots of recommendations for it in the Forum. You're probably better than me at doing searches - below is an " Erny quote" from a previous post just to get you started (can't do quote thingy either lol).

"I use Calendula Tea on the skin to soothe and heal. Treatment usually works inside 24 hours (or sooner) and at least some if not all relief is generally immediate. Cheap (around $9.00 for 50g) and kind on the dog. Get from your health food store - make sure you go for an organic brand that is also free of colour enhancement."

I had a bit of a laugh when I read this thread, because I was about to create a similar thread on behalf of my Bullmastiff. She has experienced the same thing over the last couple of weeks. Very itchy and has small rashes under her arms and legs. The vet said that it was probably an allergic reaction to grass or pollen at this time of the year and recommended that I try anti-histamine tablets or paw paw skin cream. I haven't tried either yet, but the rashes seem to be clearing by themselves.

Thanks guys.

Just interested to know what everyone has used in the past and found helpful. I have taken my dog to the vets in the past and as I said it is a reaction to his surroundings, but is only seasonal and will clear up eventually however in the meantime I'm looking for a cost effective and natural way to help sooth him and make him more comfortable.

Calendula Tea is great to stop the itches and it also stops any secondary infections from occurring. I steep some in an old stocking until the water cools then I apply the tea with a cloth. She licks half of it off as she likes the taste but I figure drinking it isn't going to do anything but help her anyway lol.

Mine is allergic to summer grasses. Her underside goes as bald as a badger in summer. I have also found that curash powder helps too.

It depends is he itchy all over or just localised? Is there redness or nothing at all? Antihistamines are a good start, if you notice he's red just on the underside then it's in all probability a contact allergy. I know a couple of people who have had success with basic, non scented barrier creams on their dogs underside to prevent contact allergy.

My brothers Bull Mastiff has had skin issues all his life, he's 5. They tried all sorts of things and kept getting told it was something in the garden. About 12 months ago they were advised to take him off all beef products and he has been itch free ever since. May be worth trying.

There are a couple things you could do.. you could do a diet trial and just rule out its not diet. Best to speak to a vet on the best options for one.

Otherwise an antihistamine trial may also be helpful and they are fairly cheap.

Simply washing his skin after outside time will also help remove potential allergens. If its just certain areas (ie. feet) you can also trial boots.