'the Dog Just Snapped'

espinay2

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm so impressed with how tolerant the rottie is - the poor dog.

I find this website great for educating - http://www.liamjperkfoundation.org and they also have a facebook page which goes through many of these type of videos where again you can often see these warning signs/anxiety relieving behaviours.

I have seen this website before and was devastated that a dog of my chosen breed caused an incident in which a child lost its life. They were not very forthcoming on what they thought caused the dog to react the way it did (they detailed the incident but not what they thought was the reason for the dog's reaction) and from time to time I still wonder about this.

They do mention a little in this note http://www.liamjperk...n.org/note.html

"After returning home from the hospital without Liam and no dogs in the house, I said to my sister we need to let people know. I didn't know what I wanted to let people know at that point, but as the days and weeks progressed we started

learning a lot about dog body language.

Why was this morning different for Loyd? It wasn't to us, but to Loyd it was his point that he had enough. Enough of what? I thought everyone got along. After much researching and educating ourselves on dog body language, I realized that Loyd was uncomfortable with my little Liam.

When people hear of what happened they will say my dog doesn't bite. He's good with kids. He'd never do that. Well, do you think we thought our dogs would!! Loyd was a very high energy dog, but not vicious. A dog does not need to be vicious to bite. All dogs have the capability of biting. They will if they want to and there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop it when it happens. Dogs can bite in .025 seconds. That's what people need to know.

The Liam J. Perk Foundation was created in an effort to educate parents and dog owners through seminars, school presentations, and events to provide a safe environment for children and dogs as a family."

I would probably add to the above, that the time to stop a dog bite is generally WAY BEFORE it actually happens.

Edited by espinay2

I admit i used to be wary of them, only because where i kept my horses in the UK they had several and they were not nice ( owners roughed them up for fun).

But that all changed when i met a dolers 2, now i love them and would steal one of his in a heartbeat he is such a lovely dog. :laugh:

It always saddens me when I hear that people have had negative experiences with the breed, and this has (understandably) influenced how they feel about the breed :( I wish I could introduce those people to our dogs so that they could experience Rotty goodness and smooches, rather than bad behaviour!

I wish I could introduce those people to our dogs so that they could experience Rotty goodness and smooches, rather than bad behaviour!

Ohh pick me. I want to smooch Nova's little face!

Ive only ever had good experiences with rotties. I love the breed.

It always saddens me when I hear that people have had negative experiences with the breed, and this has (understandably) influenced how they feel about the breed :( I wish I could introduce those people to our dogs so that they could experience Rotty goodness and smooches, rather than bad behaviour!

With each of my experiences although they were all different they probably all came down to guarding behaviour of their owners. But the owners didn't recognise or appreciate it, and I can imagine the dogs were completely different with them. 2 of the owners insisted their dogs were friendly and safe, I'm sure they were to them. I would imagine they'd be a fantastic dog to own, if I ever needed to feel safe, I'd get myself a rottweiler.

I am sure in the right hands they are good with outsiders too.

Edited by Kirislin

I wish I could introduce those people to our dogs so that they could experience Rotty goodness and smooches, rather than bad behaviour!

If you wanted to smooch the cute little face in my signature, then we would have to travel back in time raz :D

However, if you wanted to smooch her "not-so-little-anymore" face, then c'mon down! :laugh:

post-3516-0-60531000-1356297886_thumb.jpg

Stupid, dumb, idiotic, fools, should not be allowed to own anything that breaths, let alone a dog.

What an awesome dog, so much restraint, let hope they don't have more kids in a few years time when the dog will be old and maybe less patient!!!

The guy i knew who had them in the UK , was a byb, he supplied them to pubs etc.

There was a fatel attack in the UK ,and he got a few sent back to him after that, one attacked my JRT at the yard, didn't know he was there at the time, my oh saved my dog.

The others were kept at his house, seperated as they didn't get along.

He thought it was funny once when we went round to bring one in the house to rough up in front of us, he told us to sit still and not move or the dog would attack us, one of the scariest moments of my life! :mad

If you wanted to smooch the cute little face in my signature, then we would have to travel back in time raz :D

However, if you wanted to smooch her "not-so-little-anymore" face, then c'mon down! :laugh:

Little face, big face, I'm not fussy, All. I love rottie cuddles. I had a 'bestie' when I was a little kid that was a rottie bitch. She wasnt mine but every time I saw her she would glue herself to my leg and go on walks with me.

Does anyone have a link bit connected to facebook? I'm on my phone and can't see it.

Now with 2 kids and one on the way I feel sooo over the top with kaos and the cats at times, OH gets annoyed when I tell his girls to leave them alone, but it only takes one second for something to happen

I want to smooch her big face!!

Rotties will always be my other favourite breed. The two bitches I owned were the sweetest dogs and I've had loads of wonderful experiences with other Rotties that I've met.

How incredibly stupid!

It gave me thought on how different the children of dog people behave though.

My kids have been animal educated since day one, and my animals have been kids educated.

When my three year old sees an approaching dog on a leash, he asks me if he can pat, and stands next to me waiting for it to approach. Then he says "Hi, can I please pat your dog?" and even if they say yes, he doesn't move, just coos "Here boy, come here" and makes patting motions.

If it backs away, or doesn't come to him, he'll stop trying to reel the dog in.

My oldest, at 7, goes more advanced and mimics the 'asking the dogs permission' video we watched. She'll scratch it's chest, then stop, and if it backs away or doesn't come closer, she walks away.

This is education that any parent could do, if they were themselves educated in the ways of animals.

My kids have been bitten once- the oldest picked up an elderly mixed breed after we told her why she shouldn't ("he's old, sore, he can't see too well and he can get scared and bite. Wait for him to come to you"), she ignored this and got a snap on the thumb.

On top of the small nip, she got a lecture from us about harrassing old dogs and touching them without permission. No sympathy or "bad dog!", the blame was laid squarely on her.

She saw the same dog many times after, and they coexisted quite happily...because now she knew the fallout of grabbing dogs without warning, and to be gentle with old or sick dogs.

The amount of times an owner grabs their bristling, shaking dog and physically forces it forward to be patted by the kids...it's crazy.

It's throwing out NO signs left and right, but they're totally uncaring

That video is horrible to watch. I thought the video would end in something horrific, so glad it didn't but so sad for that poor dog.

Recently at the dog park I go to there was a young boy who arrived with his Grandmother and a lovely elderly bull breed dog. The dog was carrying around a soccer ball in its mouth (as big as it's head) and the child was following it around the park kicking the ball as hard as he could whilst it was in the dogs mouth. Every now and then the boy would miss the ball and end up kicking the dog as hard as he could in the face, all the time thinking this was funny. The poor elderly dog was not fast enough to get away from the boy. It never retaliated just changed direction every time he kicked to try to get away.

I told the boy could he please not kick the ball whilst it is in the dogs mouth because he might miss the ball and kick the dog and hurt it and his response which he yelled at the top of his lungs was "it's my dog and I can kick it if I want to" :cry:

Such a lovely dog, came up to me and leaned in for cuddles while I gave it a back scratch, tail wagging furiously, broke my heart to think of what it must go through at home everyday.

When I was very little I remember riding on our GSD or Alsations (as they were called back then) back. I wasn't a cruel kid but I realise now how tolerant Caesar was of me. I recall him giving his shoulders a shake and tipping me off headfirst onto the kitchen cupboard. He taught me my lesson, I dont think I tried it again after that. :laugh:

Here he is with my brother.

6735080069_a7b95b003a_z.jpg

IMG_8314dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

My first heart dog was a Rotti girl who was just as tolerant as the girl in that video... no way would I have let a child do that to her though!

I miss Woosie terribly since she went to the Bridge in 2004. She was everything a dog should be and more.

... and Allerzeit - I would love to have smooshie Rotti cuddles with any/all of your stunning furkids - the more slobbery the kisses the better... *grin*

T.

I haven't watched the video but from people's reactions its not good. Poor dog :(

We had a border collie x as a kid you could dress her up and crawl all over her, pull her tail or pull her lips up but we knew not too. My cousin (3) was told repeatedly not to pull her tail or ears but he wouldn't stop so one day she turned, growled and snapped in his direction. He went crying to my mum, she asked him what he did he said nothing the dogs just nasty. When he got picked up he tried to tell my uncle who knew better, asked him what he did. Turns out he poked her in the ear and tried to poke her in the nose.

Edited by Eza