3rd Litter Inside 18 Months Qld

mini girl

Accidents do happen..sigh.. isnt this how backyard breeders are born? Would you all be giving the same advice if someone posted this question somewhere else about their crossbreed?

And no..I have never bred a litter nor am I an animal rights activist..just speaking my mind. Good luck to you.

Probably much advice would be the same however this is a purebreed forum.

I guess that as you have never bred a litter you may not have an entire male & female dog or if you have they have never got together.

That's good & I guess we won't be hearing about it if they ever do. :)

People are not infallible & dogs can be so amazingly clever in unthinkable ways.

This particular breeders issue is not a cruelty matter. The dog is fine & will not be constantly bred from. Its a lesson learnt the hard way which can happen.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Christina

And by the way my girl delivered a beatiful litter just over 2 weeks ago - CCCQ have also been very reasonable about it all - the outcome has been a good one inspite of all my worry right on Christmas. In short pups are beautiful and healthy mum is coping amazingly and I will be placing well reared puppies with people who will love and treasure them. Was surprised to see this posting pop back up after all this time. My girl has done her bit and will be spayed as soon as the pups are reared and she is up to it.

• 3 weeks later...

I would be aborting if not seriously considering spaying - she would have done her bit for the breed in this house

I would assume then that you have dogs who have more than one or two pups on average As someone has already said - 6 litters of 1 or 2 is a totally different thing to 6 litters of 10, or even 4 or 5.

OP - if your bitch is healthy and in good condition I wouldn't mess with her hormones. Even if you decide after this litter not to breed from her again and do have her spayed, IMO you're better off giving yourself options.

Going forward maybe a crate is a better option than gates that can be left open/climbed - afterall it's only for a few days that you really have to be ultra-careful.

afterall it's only for a few days that you really have to be ultra-careful. Really???

I had a bitch locked away for the 21 days... Maiden bitch. Maiden dog. I let them out late on day 21, kept a good eye on them, nothing. Went to the village and came home to find them tied. I was only gone maybe 10 minutes. I rang the breeder of the dogs and informed them. They both asked whether I wanted the mating - I said it would be a possibility depending on relevant health tests. (Both needed to have CEA DNA testing and hip scores to be done as both were potential carriers).

We waited 28 days, ultrasounded. Gave the Alizin (two injections 24 hours apart). She passed one faetus. Aborted the rest. She was later bred from by her breeder with no complications.

I now lock my girls up for 28 days. I know other breeders with females who also have stood on day 21 or later.

I would be looking at alternative securing methods of bitches in seaon after this just the same.

I have read this thread with much interest and may I say that I think many people have this happen but not many say anything thus leaving them to mate their bitches at the right time and being able to register them... I can understand why those people would want to hide it from others when they get dragged through the mud for being honest and discussing it ? you all do realize that if one doesn't say anything the bitch would still have the 3 litters on the hop with possibly a fourth ? and we wouldn't know this and neither would the CC's

I have just witnessed an accidental tie with my girl and boy - not planned at the moment - my girl came into season about 7 weeks early - another of my girls was in and guess it must have brought her in early and so if pups eventuate it will be about 6 weeks short of the 2 litters only in 18 months.

Have heard horror stories about terminating and don't want to go down this path but don't want to not register the pups either - pretty sure there will be pups never missed before with this pair. Its all a bit of a drama to me - not the puppies but don't want to get into a lot of trouble with the CCCQ Dogs Qld - it happened once to me before a few years ago and they let me register the pups but gave me a bit of a chastising in a letter - will they be reasonalble a second time or not - will ring them and see what they say but wondered if anyone else has had this happen was so careful but with the silly season and all it only took a minute of inattention and a wilful girl who managed to get over the barrier and not forgetting a more than willing boy ofcourse. My girl is in excellend health and hasn't stopped smiling and wagging her tail since it happened. Wish I was as happy about it.

If it were me I would be contacting the Qld KC and explaining what had happened, afterall she may not be in pup. Even if I had to pet out every pup if it was born, I would not be using the abort injection, I have heard some horror storries of bitches who could not get back in pup. good luck, but I say be upfront and seek the KC advice.

This. Ask them what they suggest you do. Weigh up their info and then make your decision.

I had a friend in a similar position, a few weeks shy, she got a dispensation because she contacted them and was upfront about what had hapened.

I would be aborting if not seriously considering spaying - she would have done her bit for the breed in this house

I would assume then that you have dogs who have more than one or two pups on average As someone has already said - 6 litters of 1 or 2 is a totally different thing to 6 litters of 10, or even 4 or 5.

OP - if your bitch is healthy and in good condition I wouldn't mess with her hormones. Even if you decide after this litter not to breed from her again and do have her spayed, IMO you're better off giving yourself options.

Going forward maybe a crate is a better option than gates that can be left open/climbed - afterall it's only for a few days that you really have to be ultra-careful.

afterall it's only for a few days that you really have to be ultra-careful. Really???

I had a bitch locked away for the 21 days... Maiden bitch. Maiden dog. I let them out late on day 21, kept a good eye on them, nothing. Went to the village and came home to find them tied. I was only gone maybe 10 minutes. I rang the breeder of the dogs and informed them. They both asked whether I wanted the mating - I said it would be a possibility depending on relevant health tests. (Both needed to have CEA DNA testing and hip scores to be done as both were potential carriers).

We waited 28 days, ultrasounded. Gave the Alizin (two injections 24 hours apart). She passed one faetus. Aborted the rest. She was later bred from by her breeder with no complications.

I now lock my girls up for 28 days. I know other breeders with females who also have stood on day 21 or later.

I would be looking at alternative securing methods of bitches in seaon after this just the same.

Yep - so your bitch stood late. She was *probably* only fertile for those few days. Yes, the very occasional one is fertile for much much longer but in almost all case the actual window when they are able to conceive is only a few days - be that day 1 to 4 or day 21 to 25 doesn't alter that fact.

I have had a bitch conceive to a single mating on day 4 and another to a single mating on day 19. Nothing new under the sun!

Edited by Sandra777