Look What They Have Done To Our Dogs.

Sandy46

If you want a Staffy a GSD or Lab maybe a whippet all good but try going shopping for another breed especially if you are not in with the in crowd or its a new breed for you and you want a main register...worse if you want a female...

Can't speak for the other mentioned breeds but if you want a well bred mains register Staffordshire Bull Terrier bitch you are going to have a very very long wait!

Absolutely agree - you can buy a "staffy" anywhere and a main reg bitch no problem at all (provided you want to buy a rare blue english staffy), but a good bitch from a breeder who actually knows what they're doing are like hen's teeth.

There's a huge difference between main reg & show/breed quality in many breeds.

And for the record, when I bought my first Stafford in 1978 I was after a red bitch and came home with a brindle dog & the promise of a bitch further down the track when 'something suitable' came along. Reason I bought the dog instead of waiting? - they were a rare breed in those days and if you were offered a show potential puppy you grabbed it. Dog turned out to be an all breeds R/U BIS winner in the days when a Stafford winning a group was a very rare event. (Oh how times have changed!)

Wasn't given the third degree but definitely had it clearly explained why Staffords were not for the faint hearted - unlike so many so-called 'breeders' today who seem to be trying to pretend Staffords are really miniature Labradors.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a Staffy a GSD or Lab maybe a whippet all good but try going shopping for another breed especially if you are not in with the in crowd or its a new breed for you and you want a main register...worse if you want a female...

I could understand if you had a bad reputation (google is wondrous!) and/or were not a current financial member of your dog controlling body of your state.

Not saying any of those apply to you- sometimes breeders only can go by their 'gut' feelings- or all maybe good but the breeder is wanting to keep the pick bitch for themselves.

I could understand if you had a bad reputation (google is wondrous!) and/or were not a current financial member of your dog controlling body of your state.

Not saying any of those apply to you- sometimes breeders only can go by their 'gut' feelings- or all maybe good but the breeder is wanting to keep the pick bitch for themselves.

In my last litter I wouldn't sell a bitch puppy to someone cause they already had a bitch(desexed). Fairly new dog owners but I did sell let them adopt a male.

Edited by Rebanne

We have one pedigree dog, 2 rescues and 2 farm bred dogs. The pedigree dog is our Jack Russell and i would go back to his breeder in a heartbeat. She ticks every one of my boxes and so do her dogs and we now have a dog that is EXACTLY what we wanted- and a bit more.

She didn't 'grill' us but we met a few times before the litter was on the ground and waited patiently, keeping in touch during that time. It wasn't hard but there was respect and trust involved- we respected what she was doing and i'd like to think she developed some trust in us over time hence allowing us to have a puppy- keeping in mind that among everything else we were bringing home a 1.7kg puppy into a home with 2 35kg+ dogs- there had to be some trust there for her to let us do that.

Our experience with bringing home a pup from this breeder make us much more likely than we were before to go pedigree again in the future.

In my last litter I wouldn't sell a bitch puppy to someone cause they already had a bitch(desexed). Fairly new dog owners but I did sell let them adopt a male.

yep, can understand- bitches can certainly get nasty with each other- this wasn't just about the sex though- it was about also being on the main register

Edited by WExtremeG

yep, can understand- bitches can certainly get nasty with each other- this wasn't just about the sex though- it was about also being on the main register

I was talking about main register dogs.

ah okay. I was lucky enough to have been introduced to pedigree dogs by my mother who taught me a lot that I might not have normally known. I always find it strange that main register entire dogs (and bitches) are offered to people who have no interest in showing or other ANKC events. To me it seems a bit of a waste or an excellent opportunity for the unscrupulous buyer - who can then advertise litters with a 'main pedigree parent'. I've seen enough of your posts though, to know you'd never sell knowingly to such a person.

My point to Joany was that breeders may have very good reason- as you did. (:

ah okay. I was lucky enough to have been introduced to pedigree dogs by my mother who taught me a lot that I might not have normally known. I always find it strange that main register entire dogs (and bitches) are offered to people who have no interest in showing or other ANKC events. To me it seems a bit of a waste or an excellent opportunity for the unscrupulous buyer - who can then advertise litters with a 'main pedigree parent'. I've seen enough of your posts though, to know you'd never sell knowingly to such a person.

My point to Joany was that breeders may have very good reason- as you did. (:

Thank you :) The dog was shown and titled by his new owner.

I haven't had much trouble with breeders(collie) I did have a breeder say that they would not "adopt" an adult dog interstate, but the same breeder was keen on me buying a puppy from her. I've had breeder's who know that I am interested in showing who have been happy to offer a mains reg pup, though the understanding is that I will desex as I have always made it clear I am not interested in breeding.

Watch out for the AR"s under the bed with their brainwashing machine really cmon sometimes this place is over the top. I own a pedigree dog and im happy in that decision but some of the garbage posts a few pages back shocked me attacking people making the choice to rescue is obscene why would you attack that option wake up to yourselfes.

Edited by staffydave

Watch out for the AR"s under the bed with their brainwashing machine really cmon sometimes this place is over the top. I own a pedigree dog and im happy in that decision but some of the garbage posts a few pages back shocked me attacking people making the choice to rescue is obscene why would you attack that option wake up to yourselfes.

:rofl::thumbsup:

Edited by Greylvr

Another reminder... this is a PUREBREED dog forum... and they let us involved in rescue play here as long as we are civil.

Oh - and respect is a two way street - if you'd like people to show it to you, then you need to show them a bit yourself...

Coming on here and spouting that AR shite isn't doing some any favours.

As for the PB people who hold their own strong views about this topic, they may have some very good reasons to do so, and to vilify them about it rather than engaging in a civilised debate makes you look quite silly really...

T.

Did you actually read what was posted? No one was attacking people for rescuing, they were commenting on the tactics used by AR groups to guilt people into buying pound dogs.

And those who say they would never have a rescue dog, That's a fact, not an attack.

Edited by minimax

Sorry what AR shite have i ever said and infact anyone said in any of these posts and as a pedigree dog owner i have as much right being on here as anyone . All that was posted is the fact rescue is a option for some people and the poster had people jumpig down there throat, where is the AR shite in that fair dinkum. Some people are on another planet.

Actually, the best rescuers I've met have been those who DON'T fall for all that AR claptrap - they are quiet and unassuming and just get on with the job of finding nice dogs nice homes.

The ones that shout from the rooftops and buy into "the don't breed or buy" mantra for the most part are attention seeking gits - more interested in being lauded for doing what so many great rescuers do day in day out without any recognition at all. It's an ego trip for those types - "look at me, I'm a hero"... *sigh*

T.

Oh look, Dave's found General! Hi Dave!

That is garbage SD, there has been no rubbishing of people who choose to source their dog from rescue. You'll actually find that a lot of people who have registered dogs also have rescues or have in the past. It's the nonsense about don't buy or a dog dies garbage. If you read the posts before actually posting you might notice that.

That is garbage SD, there has been no rubbishing of people who choose to source their dog from rescue. You'll actually find that a lot of people who have registered dogs also have rescues or have in the past. It's the nonsense about don't buy or a dog dies garbage. If you read the posts before actually posting you might notice that.

But I never said that what I said was twisted into it. I said people may want to adopt because if they dont that dog will die it was twisted to say if you buy a dog from a breeder a shelter dog dies I NEVER said that. See so there were no AR rubbish coming from any one until someone tool something and twisted it into AR rubbish.

But I never said that what I said was twisted into it. I said people may want to adopt because if they dont that dog will die it was twisted to say if you buy a dog from a breeder a shelter dog dies I NEVER said that. See so there were no AR rubbish coming from any one until someone tool something and twisted it into AR rubbish.

still trying to guilt people into buying a dog that may not be suitable for them