Look What They Have Done To Our Dogs.

Sandy46

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course it might pay to remember that Australia is not the Border Collie's country of origin. The climate is a tad different in Scotland :)

I plan on one day going to Scotland and watching shepherds work their dogs over there.

That will be awesome for you.

What is a barbie collie? I've never heard that expression.

A barbie collie is a BC that is bred for the show ring only, no herding testing done on them, no proof that they can work bred for looks only.

Just the sort of working v show trash talk that this country can live without. I hope it doesn't take off here.

I have to say I'm not a fan of that term. I'm not big on the bench kelpies but I wouldn't trash the showers just because I don't like the line of dogs...

I think it pays to remember that without the "show lines" many of the working breeds would have tiny gene pools and be unsuitable as pets. I appreciate that for some people that doesn't matter but it does to me. You can be passionate about your dog of choice without heaping shit on other people's.

I have to say I'm not a fan of that term. I'm not big on the bench kelpies but I wouldn't trash the showers just because I don't like the line of dogs...

Nah its not about trashing the breeders that breed dogs for the show ring. Its about not agreeing with people who breed working dogs with no testing, we pick breeds to show so why not make sure they are healthy with health testing and sound minded with temp testing and make sure they actually can perform their jobs. If we want to breed companion dogs then breed a breed that was made for companionship. We cant expect a breed to stay healthy and of sound mind if we dont take into consideration if they can do what they are intended to so. I know a lot of breeds this isn't possible because they were bred for illegal purposes and we obviously wont want to test them but there are other sports they can partake in to test determination etc.

Of course I am one that doesn't think a dog should be bred until all health tests are cleared, and at least a working title put on them. I know a lot of people think that just winning in the show ring is enough that is their choice I just dont agree with it. I will refrain from using the term again sorry.

I'm not a fan of the term either. I own both an ISDS BC and a show BC and both are great dogs for different reasons.

I think it pays to remember that without the "show lines" many of the working breeds would have tiny gene pools and be unsuitable as pets. I appreciate that for some people that doesn't matter but it does to me. You can be passionate about your dog of choice without heaping shit on other people's.

Exactly. I believe that working and show lines work in tandem, without one the other would probably suffer to some degree. I believe that some breeds have missed the mark and bred out all the functionality for its original purpose, but what we have to remember is not every dog breed has its original job available anymore and their soul area of existence is for the arena and pet homes. Different lines for different people and no trashing what others have worked very hard to create, just because it's not your thing. :)

I have a friend who breeds Kelpies. There are some of her breeding who excell in both areas. I was at an Ag Show a couple of years ago where one Kelpie Ch was shown on the Saturday and competed successfully in the trials on the Sunday.

I have a friend who breeds Kelpies. There are some of her breeding who excell in both areas. I was at an Ag Show a couple of years ago where one Kelpie Ch was shown on the Saturday and competed successfully in the trials on the Sunday.

I know some wonderful bench kelpies that perform well in a lot of areas.. I just like my WKC kelpies, I like the variety of types and the colours are less restrictive :D

I know some wonderful bench kelpies that perform well in a lot of areas.. I just like my WKC kelpies, I like the variety of types and the colours are less restrictive :D

what are the extra colours you can get in a working line kelpie? The standard has 7.

what are the extra colours you can get in a working line kelpie? The standard has 7.

I like white on the red and tan. Also it's harder to find the red and tans and black and tan in bench, most seem to breed to solids. Which I understand as they'd go better in conformation classes I would imagine.

That is what I consider to be a great breeder, one that does it all and her dogs are speaking for themselves. :thumbsup:

I like white on the red and tan. Also it's harder to find the red and tans and black and tan in bench, most seem to breed to solids. Which I understand as they'd go better in conformation classes I would imagine.

so are there more colours or not? You said the colours are less restrictive and and only mention you like a red tri.

so are there more colours or not? You said the colours are less restrictive and and only mention you like a red tri.

I like the white chest, I'm not a fan of bi colour or solids. That being said I own a b&T with no white currently, it's more the variety of types I like.

Not sure I'd do herding with a dog I was showing to title. Sheep can be bloody hard on dogs, especially young dogs. Plenty of people who work dogs for real reckon 'working' titles are no real test of a dog's real ability to work anyway.

A lot of yard dogs with huge titles don't actually do any real farm work.

Not sure I'd do herding with a dog I was showing to title. Sheep can be bloody hard on dogs, especially young dogs. Plenty of people who work dogs for real reckon 'working' titles are no real test of a dog's real ability to work anyway.

Yep. And the fact that a dog will or won't chase a plastic bag says nothing about its ability to course game.

Yep. And the fact that a dog will or won't chase a plastic bag says nothing about its ability to course game.

Is that how they test dogs for lure coursing?

Is that how they test dogs for lure coursing?

the lure is a plastic bag