Maremmas In Show.

Tralee

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always carry litters around when I visit country properties. :rofl: WTF :crazy:

You've repeatedly (the same people) had a go at me before and continuously come off second best.

I'm happy to oblige if you wish to continue.

post-3970-0-18804300-1367495012_thumb.jpg

Actually that interests me as well. How do your dogs bond to stock properly if they aren't consistently with them? I wish my place was that green right now!

Two properties/places actually.

LGD's are livestock. Who said they must specifically and exclusively guard chooks, goats, or sheep.

Dogs can guard and protect dogs.

There were four adult dogs on the Nimbin property. Nobody came in, whether there were pups on the ground or not.

post-3970-0-30315700-1367494626_thumb.jpg

So here is your chance to set me straight. What do your dogs guard? Is the above correct and they guard each other and/or puppies? Do they have traditional stock they guard?

Actually that interests me as well. How do your dogs bond to stock properly if they aren't consistently with them? I wish my place was that green right now!

Two properties/places actually.

LGD's are livestock. Who said they must specifically and exclusively guard chooks, goats, or sheep.

Dogs can guard and protect dogs.

There were four adult dogs on the Nimbin property. Nobody came in, whether there were pups on the ground or not.

post-3970-0-30315700-1367494626_thumb.jpg

So here is your chance to set me straight. What do your dogs guard? Is the above correct and they guard each other and/or puppies? Do they have traditional stock they guard?

Just quoting so he'll see it :)

Edited by mixeduppup

I always carry litters around when I visit country properties. :rofl:WTF :crazy:

You've repeatedly (the same people) had a go at me before and continuously come off second best.

I'm happy to oblige if you wish to continue.

post-3970-0-18804300-1367495012_thumb.jpg

What do they guard?

Ummm?

post-3970-0-24929100-1367496445_thumb.jpg

Can you see why I am confused :confused: I ask if they guard puppies or each other and you laugh and say WTF. So I ask what they guard and you say ummm, puppies, like I'm dense :laugh: When they are at the property what do they guard?

Visiting a farm isn't the same as living on the farm and being a permanent guardian. I visited movie world but that doesn't make me Angelina Jollie.

Sorry - I know it's OT but that is gold! :rofl:

I agree it's GOLD alright. I just about spat coffee on my new keyboard

I would expect any Maremma breeder to at least have puppies bond to some livestock, even better forthem tobomd to the livestock that they will be protecting when they go to their new home.

How can a LSG puppy know what it's role is if itis not exposed to any stock until it is in its new home.

Additionally, if a breeder does not intimately know how Maremma work with stock how can that breeder offer any support to their puppy buyers who use them to protect stock?

First up THANK YOU EVERY ONE for your answers to my question. It is nice to get answers from (for the want of a better phrase) the end user of the pups we breed.

Ok now I do not and have never required my personal dogs to go sit with the sheep or the horse 24/7. I DO require that

all the dogs here are polite to said sheep and horse. This is quite different tho. Now I do have the ability to help

with suggestions on training from experiance gained here and there. If I believe I am out of my depth (like with chooks)

then I arrange for a breeder friend with extencive experiance in that area to help.

I also realise that much is said about pups needing to be born and raised with the stock they will guard. I do not believe that to be the case at all for many reasons and different experiances. HOWEVER being able to work out what stock

a pup will be happy with is the key. I have had FANTASTIC dogs that were quite racisist really. One would be happy with sheep and horses but HATED goats with passion and was under the impression that chooks were fast food.

Others have been good with white chooks but not so good with brown or black chooks.. Go figger.....

I LOVE observing and learning.

All you have to do is name one Maremma that has won BIS in Australia and I will concede

How about a Best Puppy In Show? Aust CH Lurgenglare Fratta was BPIS at the working dog show

in Lancefield under Judge Mr R Lake (Can) at her very first dog show. Best of all her breeder was there

to bepart of it and my dear friend Sandi came up for the day out. and a photo of Fratta and her sheeps.

post-4782-0-54267000-1367531103_thumb.jpg

EXPO INTERNAZIONALE DI ALESSANDRIA 2013

RUSTICO DELL'ANTICA TENUTA I ECC CACIB BOB CLASSE CAMPIONI

ORTICA DELL'ANTICA TENUTA I ECC CLASSE VETERANI

TABATA DELL'ANTICA TENUTA I ECC CLASSE GIOVANI

GIUDICE DOTT. GIUSEPPE GIANI

Dogs owned by Luca Luciani who is well placed to take the mantle from Anna Albrigo

post-3970-0-86041200-1367531791_thumb.jpg

EXPO INTERNAZIONALE DI ALESSANDRIA 2013

RUSTICO DELL'ANTICA TENUTA I ECC CACIB BOB CLASSE CAMPIONI

ORTICA DELL'ANTICA TENUTA I ECC CLASSE VETERANI

TABATA DELL'ANTICA TENUTA I ECC CLASSE GIOVANI

GIUDICE DOTT. GIUSEPPE GIANI

Dogs owned by Luca Luciani who is well placed to take the mantle from Anna Albrigo

post-3970-0-86041200-1367531791_thumb.jpg

who cares?

All you have to do is name one Maremma that has won BIS in Australia and I will concede

How about a Best Puppy In Show? Aust CH Lurgenglare Fratta was BPIS at the working dog show

in Lancefield under Judge Mr R Lake (Can) at her very first dog show. Best of all her breeder was there

to bepart of it and my dear friend Sandi came up for the day out. and a photo of Fratta and her sheeps.

Good stuff :thumbsup:

Ok now I do not and have never required my personal dogs to go sit with the sheep or the horse 24/7. I DO require that

all the dogs here are polite to said sheep and horse. This is quite different tho. Now I do have the ability to help

with suggestions on training from experiance gained here and there. If I believe I am out of my depth (like with chooks)

then I arrange for a breeder friend with extencive experiance in that area to help.

I also realise that much is said about pups needing to be born and raised with the stock they will guard. I do not believe that to be the case at all for many reasons and different experiances. HOWEVER being able to work out what stock

a pup will be happy with is the key. I have had FANTASTIC dogs that were quite racisist really. One would be happy with sheep and horses but HATED goats with passion and was under the impression that chooks were fast food.

Others have been good with white chooks but not so good with brown or black chooks.. Go figger.....

I've found similar - they don't need to be born in a paddock with their stock to develop into good workers - I think it was Espinay who pointed out that lots of rescues (who may never have been with stock) also achieve this. It is a pretty individual thing from dog to dog.

Most of what I've learned about working LGDs has been through trial & error, as you receive a lot of conflicting advice. I made lots of mistakes with my 1st couple of dogs but we got there in the end - it's a big learning curve and so very different from training a dog for the showring, obedience or herding (which is all I'd ever done).

What you say about finding the key to each puppy is so true (I also have a racist dog - he loathes red goats but loves his standard coloured ones :) ) - different strengths in individual dogs will help decide where they are best placed in a working situation. One of my boys is a brilliant "big paddock" dog - he patrols really efficiently, likes having lots of space & is quite forceful in his job. I have another girl who is just sheer magic with kidding does in a smaller lot - she's exceptionally gentle with the babies & knows before I do who is getting ready to birth. They will let you know what sort of a workload they are happy and comfortable with.

I still get a kick out of watching them with their charges, they have favourites that they get attached to which is pretty cute & they will scold naughty ones. The way they coordinate when there is a threat is awesome - I have 3 boys that have worked together for a few years now & the teamwork is incredible, 1 drops back with the flock, the other 2 streak across the paddock - all it takes is that "danger" bark.

In my experience, as pups you need to "set them up to succeed" & not put them in a position where things can really go wrong - so long as the instinct/ability is there, lots of opportunity, encouragement when they do well & some patience, is what will result in confident, dedicated working LGDs.

I've found similar - they don't need to be born in a paddock with their stock to develop into good workers - I think it was Espinay who pointed out that lots of rescues (who may never have been with stock) also achieve this. It is a pretty individual thing from dog to dog.

Most of what I've learned about working LGDs has been through trial & error, as you receive a lot of conflicting advice. I made lots of mistakes with my 1st couple of dogs but we got there in the end - it's a big learning curve and so very different from training a dog for the showring, obedience or herding (which is all I'd ever done).

What you say about finding the key to each puppy is so true (I also have a racist dog - he loathes red goats but loves his standard coloured ones :) ) - different strengths in individual dogs will help decide where they are best placed in a working situation. One of my boys is a brilliant "big paddock" dog - he patrols really efficiently, likes having lots of space & is quite forceful in his job. I have another girl who is just sheer magic with kidding does in a smaller lot - she's exceptionally gentle with the babies & knows before I do who is getting ready to birth. They will let you know what sort of a workload they are happy and comfortable with.

I still get a kick out of watching them with their charges, they have favourites that they get attached to which is pretty cute & they will scold naughty ones. The way they coordinate when there is a threat is awesome - I have 3 boys that have worked together for a few years now & the teamwork is incredible, 1 drops back with the flock, the other 2 streak across the paddock - all it takes is that "danger" bark.

In my experience, as pups you need to "set them up to succeed" & not put them in a position where things can really go wrong - so long as the instinct/ability is there, lots of opportunity, encouragement when they do well & some patience, is what will result in confident, dedicated working LGDs.

This is where we need a LIKE button. There is nothing to add to this post, it speaks the truth in spades.