Maremmas In Show.

Tralee

Hi All. :)

I thought it might be time to promote the Maremma in the Show Ring.

Their numbers are increasing so the correct breeding is even more paramount.

You never know, the odd Judge may look in and get a real idea of what they should be puting up.

post-3970-0-38269500-1356313324_thumb.jpg

post-3970-0-76374500-1356313363_thumb.jpg

post-3970-0-51053000-1356313514_thumb.jpg

post-3970-0-30551300-1356313397_thumb.jpg

Its just a matter of time now.

Edited by Tralee

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my friend just got 1 hes a real softy

Hi blitz3. :)

He may be a real softee now, but their temperament cannot be taken for granted.

He may be like my big girl who is ridiculously gregarious for a Maremma or he may require constant and continual work.

You need to think ahead with Maremmas and be willing to put the work in.

They need character development and protective kennelling.

All the best to your friend.

:cheers:

I can't say they do much for me but then all I've come across are half feral dogs that are poorly handled and are allowed to lunge and bark at everything that goes past.

I don't think that is a fair assessment. Although Anatolian are not the same as Maremma, the ASD we take to the show lunge and growl occasionally, and it would be a mistake to attribute their behaviour to poor handling. In fact it takes a lot of handling to get them to the show all day and there is a lot going on that the casual observer may not notice, or even be accustomed to with their own breed. There is also no off time either. You have to watch the dogs the entire time.

Edited by lilli

You want them to lunge and bark at everything that goes past - its the way they work and keep their charges safe from predators.That one that's standing on the podium would do the same if you took him home to his paddock .

Tralee does this dog work at all ?

I can't say they do much for me but then all I've come across are half feral dogs that are poorly handled and are allowed to lunge and bark at everything that goes past.

A good point Pav Lova.

It is paramount that a Maremma be able to leave its 'guardian demons' behind when it is taken from the paddock for less officious duties.

And it is this point that must be made, clearly and effectively, to all existing and potential owners of Maremma.

As such, keeping Maremma in suburbia is challenging and complex.

It is not for the half-hearted, indolent or irresponsible.

As I pointed out to blitz3:

"People need to think ahead with Maremmas and be willing to put the work in.

They need character development and protective kennelling."

I say this honestly, even the Italians battle with their innate sense of working and their guardian instinct.

I can name several who are very watchful with their dogs at Show.

By the same token, there are just as many who can be shown reliably.

Again, your observation is well made and your comment very astute.

Thank you

They seem to do very well here in Vic & in SA as well - don't think they need promoting to win - but it was nice to see the pics.

That is good to hear Bisart Dobes.

I should be following them more closely. :(

I just wonder how Arawn Caergwydion Florenza has faired as her owner moved and we have not been in contact since.

But it doesn't surprise me that they are doing well, there are some very nice Mareemma people in Victoria.

I know many of them personally.

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

It is paramount that a Maremma be able to leave its 'guardian demons' behind when it is taken from the paddock for less officious duties.

Why? Isn't that taking out the true nature of the breed just for the show ring?

That would be like taking the boldness from a Stafford or the drive from a GSD.

What do you mean by 'protective kennelling'. A kennel that attacks? A kennel that protects the dog from the elements?

I have kennels scattered all over my property and they are barely used. They prefer to lie out in the open so that they can see what is going on around them.

Please don't misunderstand me Clyde.

Dogs have two spirits. Left to their own devices they will indeed become feral, that is not what we want. Whether they are in paddock most of the time or around the house they should be able to revert to a calmer nature.

"The 'true spirit of a dog' can be employed in our rearing and management practices to turn an undisciplined pup into a virtuous, well mannered dog. For example, it is perfectly acceptable for a Maremma Sheepdog to work a flock in its paddock against dogs, foxes and thieves. But, they must also be able to leave their "guardian demon'' behind when they venture into other less officious situations."

What do you mean by 'protective kennelling'. A kennel that attacks? A kennel that protects the dog from the elements?

I have kennels scattered all over my property and they are barely used. They prefer to lie out in the open so that they can see what is going on around them.

Well, your dogs are fine away from interlopers and other nuisances.

But Maremma are susceptible to interference and disengagement by passersby and others who will deliberately enchroach on your rearing practices.

I have first hand experiences of a neighbour on farm who was interfering with the dogs in my absence.

That is my point, they need to be kept away from fence where kids can run a stick along the sides, stirring up the dogs.

This is what I meant by protective kennelling.

The only persons who determine your dogs character should be those who have been afforded the privelge.

Edited by Tralee

Kids run up and down my fence line all day long. All dogs should be well fenced.

That may be the case and its you prerogative how your husband your dogs.

But that's not advice I'd be willing to give others, if I was thinking of others, of course.

Kids run up and down my fence line all day long. All dogs should be well fenced.

That may be the case and its you prerogative how your husband your dogs.

But that's not advice I'd be willing to give others, if I was thinking of others, of course.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I don't think Clyde husbands her dogs :laugh:

She might however be responsible for their husbandry :thumbsup: I don't think you can expect strong dogs like guardian breeds to switch off when taken away from their paddocks. If you breed for non reactive dogs then you would dilute down the valuable guarding trait.

This is Anna Albrigo of Selvaspina (Forest of Thorns) Kennels.

As well as continuing a long tradition of breeding BOB and BIS Italian and European Champions, she is also an International Judge.

post-3970-0-55932400-1356525508_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tralee

Finding it interesting to see discussion on different LGD breeds as with pyreneans it is generally accepted that when a Pyr is 'off territory' it is largely 'off duty'. The dogs therefore react very differently to things when away from home turf to when they are home and working and are very discriminating when it comes to what is a threat and what isn't and in what context they are and are not. This certainly hasn't diluted their guardian instinct.

Edited by espinay2