Maremmas In Show.

Tralee

Maybe Tralee's dogs aren't sound in temperament which is why he keeps trying to say the judges are approaching the dogs wrong? :shrug:

It's a recurring theme of his - the judges always don't handle/approach his dogs in the correct way, therefore putting his dogs at a disadvantage.

I've seen more than one judge have difficulties with dogs and not just with Maremmas either.

So have I but the dogs in question did not exhibit very sound temperament at that time. Because of the judge or because of the dog :shrug:

I've seen dogs awarded that the judge never touched, also seen them dumped.

Why would you even show a dog not even you could touch? Just setting the dog up to fail.

And it's Irish Setter and you don't know how it's display of unsound temperament was rewarded by the judge or do you?

Apart from contradicting yourself about putting hands on the dogs, you have your own recurring theme when you reply to me.

Are you part of the solution or do you just set out to slag off others who are advocating for their own breed?

Do you own and exhibit Maremma, or did you not see that they cannot be lumped together with other breeds and approached in a generalist fashion?

No I don't own Maremma's nor do I want too. I wasn't slagging off anyone unlike yourself who made it pretty easy to find out what judges you were talking about. And I don't see where I was contradicting myself about judges putting hands on.

But that's alright you just keep on believing how hard done by you and your dogs are.

And why did you show a dog that not even you could examine?

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so you know, getting the owner to 'mouth' the dog to show teeth is fairly common for all breeds in both Europe and the US. It is not unique to Maremma .......

Must admit I am still trying to work out exactly what the aim of this thread is? :confused:

Edited by espinay2

Just so you know, getting the owner to 'mouth' the dog to show teeth is fairly common for all breeds in both Europe and the US. It is not unique to Maremma .......

Must admit I am still trying to work out exactly what the aim of this thread is? :confused:

Maybe we could have less of it here, then.

Here you go.

Maremmas In Show.

Yes! On the Podium, no less.

I dunno Tralee I cant judge them because the coats look completely wrong to me - probably just because they are groomed for the show but

I dont want to see those coats which get really badly matted and need heaps of grooming - which some in Australia have. They look pretty and

all,magnificent in fact but its not practical in a paddock .As I said I may be seeing only a groomed coat and when he's not on the podium and all dressed for the ring

his coat may look different but it's making me hesitate.

As far as the way these guys are approached anyone including a judge needs to be aware of the fact that their temperament is not

aggressive but they aren't supposed to be thrilled about stranger bowling up to them either.

Im really glad to hear you won that court case

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. :)

I thought it might be time to promote the Maremma in the Show Ring.

Their numbers are increasing so the correct breeding is even more paramount.

You never know, the odd Judge may look in and get a real idea of what they should be puting up.

Yes, overseas dogs what is your point?

Italian Dogs if you don't mind.

Hmm. I would call that more 'shy' than 'standoffish' or reserved ?? Is that type of thing accepted in the Maremma? Certainly we see it from time to time in the Pyrenean, but it is not preferred behaviour and would be marked down in a French club breed temperament test. I note the Maremma was the only LGD breed there to display this type of behaviour.

That type of reaction in a working situation would not be good either IMO. Timidity possibly and often likely leading to fear aggression as a reaction (standing off, possibly 'dancing around/shying off' and barking and reacting when pushed) for example - rather than boldness and facing up to a threat, or discriminating when someone or something is not a threat - is not how I would want a LGD to act. I would rather see a dog that is confident, even if wary (not backing off) and not 'giving' of affection etc (watch the reaction of the Pyrenean Shepherd to being handled as a comparison. This is a breed that is also known to be quite wary and standoffish with strangers). Any other Maremma folk out there who can comment?

Didnt look timid to me. Looked that he just didn't want a stranger putting his hands on him so he was trying to move out of the way - normal for a Maremma on a lead being approached by a stranger I would think. In a working situation I expect that my Maremma will not stay still to be handled by anyone except me - not timidly moving away but moving away to make a statement - please don't touch me, because I cant do my job and Im vulnerable when you do. They would stand 10 feet back and bark their heads of making you think they will kill you if you come into their paddock. Anything that is different is a potential threat and they dont go after and stand up to something thats a threat unless its the very last option open to them - they back up as far as they can go and only stand their ground when the warnings haven't been taken and the species they are guarding is under threat. Anyway I didn't think that dog was timid or afraid.

Maremma as a companion is different but regardless each will react based on what it is used to and what is normal - Hard balancing act. I want to know a dog in the ring can also work well but getting them to accept what is normal in the ring and have strangers examining it in an environment it doesnt know where and what the risk factors are to its human and still go home and work takes a hell of a lot of training and exposure to get them to be happy to be handled by strangers in the ring but never in the paddock.