Found A Grass Seed In Cindys Eye! :(

JessicaM

As the title says Cindy had a swollen eye yesterday arvo when I got back from work, this morning I flushed it with some salt water and an hour or two and I pulled her eye lid back and pulled out a grass seed! Poor thing with the help of two people, now her eye is still swollen and I put some saline solution in her eye.

How long until the swelling should go down? I am hoping she doesn't have any more in her eye! Should I be doing anything else? Advice would be appreciated.

Also I have ripped out all the plants I can find so the other dogs don't get any either!

Lili came in the other day and I could see something sticking out just next to her eye, I just grabbed it and pulled and it was a grass seed, didn't come out easily either :eek: I had thought it was just a bit of grass/bush. Scary buggers they are.

I would just keep an eye on her and keep it clean. If the swelling doesn't seem to be going down maybe get her checked by the vet to make sure there's nothing stuck in there? Lucky you got it quickly!

Edited by Aussie3

As the title says Cindy had a swollen eye yesterday arvo when I got back from work, this morning I flushed it with some salt water and an hour or two and I pulled her eye lid back and pulled out a grass seed! Poor thing with the help of two people, now her eye is still swollen and I put some saline solution in her eye.

How long until the swelling should go down? I am hoping she doesn't have any more in her eye! Should I be doing anything else? Advice would be appreciated.

Also I have ripped out all the plants I can find so the other dogs don't get any either!

Did the tip of the seed come out? My boy seems to get them in his mouth as his floppy chops are quite big. I thought I had got one out but had left the tip in there, it ended coming out through the top of his nose. if the swelling isn't going down at all after a day or two (or by tomorrow morning) there is probably more in there. If u can't get it out u will need a visit to the vet as the seeds can travel though them. Good luck!

Poor Cindy.

Well done locating the grass seed and removing it. :thumbsup:

If the swelling/irritation has not reduced dramatically within the next 24-36 hrs, I would be getting her along to the vet, as any foreign object in the eye can cause ulceration, let alone what others have mentioned regading fragments still remaining.

Anti-biotic cream can fix ulcers pretty quickly, but ulcers can be extremely painful and can set off a nasty infection will may lead to further serious eye issues.

eyes are definitely not worth mucking around with.

good luck and hopefully there will no further issues.

:)

I'd be very careful about putting anything in eyes that aren't prescribed for that specific condition - eyes can go badly very very quickly. You especially have to make sure that there are no steroids put on ulcers.

I would watch the eye very closely and at any sign of pain (holding eye closed/partially closed) or strange discharge I'd go to the vet.

I pulled a grass seed out of my dog's eye last week - it's so scary when you think how easily it could be missed.

She was lucky - it all came out and her eye is fine although it was very swollen on the day (almost closed - I think the seed had been in there since the previous day)

We have since gone through our yard with a fine-toothed come to remove everything we can find that has (or may have) grass seeds attached to it. There was a patch along the back fence under some shrubs we couldn't see from the house and I think this is where she came upon it.

You just have to be so careful at this time of year

Wow wasn't aware how often this does happen! :( poor Cindy, she goes to the toilet where the grass seeds where! Haha I let her out and she went back over there! Silly dog, yes everyone rip up and get rid of your glass seed plants asap before it can hurt your dogs!