Honest Opinions- Benefits Of Buying A Fur Kid From The Pound Vs Breede

Horsegal98

My reasons for selecting a collie after owning terriers for many years:

- interest in competition, specifically agility and junior handler

-wanting a larger sized dog who will give voice if unfamiliar people on property and be a visual deterrent

-calm disposition known to be good with children

-generally less restless than other herding breeds, and generally less nippy

- love the look of the dog, the long muzzle really works for me.

Just re-read the rest of the thread and just some comments...

In all honesty, as much as I adore my breed, if your top concern is sports then they ARE a gamble. Of course there are many amazing collies competing in dog sports

right now, but they are not a 'given' for the breed and there are MANY who would be hopeless. I have four here right now and I'd have more luck doing agility myself than I would with two of them! The other two are great at dog sports etc but that's what I mean...it's a gamble with this breed.

Other than that, they definitely suit your other needs. Easy to live with, they are watch dogs, calm inside, great with kids.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Collies can do dogsports but from my extensive research some lines are much more suitable than others. Some of the rough lines in particular have not got a lot of drive, but of course in most litters you will get some that are more suitable for sports than others. :) They can do it you just need to do your research.