Buying Vaccines Online

mixeduppup

As I said my dogs are regulars at the vet anyway and vets have a tendency to do a check up when really they're just saying "hi" :)

:D

plus I don't vaccinate every year

am I missing something ?

but why dont you vaccinate every year? especially if your working in a vet environment and fostering dogs, visiting farms etc....also if you dont do it every year then wouldnt the cost be minimal anyway?

I work in a Vet environment and with pound/rescue animals and I don't Vaccinate my own dogs annually, I give puppy vaccinations and the 15mo booster, titre test then no vaccinations. There is no need to vaccinate annually, even the AVA and the largest Vets schools in the USA have agreed with this.

This. The cost is low but I think I could get lower. Why should I pay more than I have to? :)

Wow, in my 12 yrs as a vet nurse I have never heard of this....perhaps in our area we live under a rock ? :)

Of course I dont think you should have to pay more than you need to, I had just never heard of not needing to renew the vaccine yearly, if you are using annual vaccine protocol. TBH I have never seen a client ask for a titre test or a vet reccommend one.

The vaccination prices in my area are quite high if you take an individual animal, if you take more than one at a time you only pay one consult fee which helps a bit.

Can't remember if my vet recommended the three yearly protocol or I asked for it but they were certainly comfortable doing it.

Boarding kennels here also happy to accept it if the canine cough component has a separate booster annualy.

Here in the US it's easy and cheap to buy vaccinations online...and works well UNLESS you need proof of vaccination. DIY isn't accepted. And rabies shot proof is needed for dog registration or entry into parks, etc. There are lots of public clinics that offer vaccinations for $15 to $25, however. Strangely, though, heart worm medication requires a prescription, and vets generally charge for both a consult fee and a lab test before they'll give you a script. Many breeders use horse ivomectin for heart worm to get around this.

Costs me $99 for a yearly C5 and MORE if I do triennial and three canine cough vaccines.

My vet doesn't want to do triennial vaccines

I have to say I am very surprised a vet nurse has not heard of triennial vaccination. Do you not read the veterinarian and other magazines that come out regarding latest drugs etc etc?

Wow, in my 12 yrs as a vet nurse I have never heard of this....perhaps in our area we live under a rock ? :)

This link contains some more info and some links to AVA and World Small Animal Veterinary Association position: http://www.apvma.gov.au/news_media/community/2010-07_vaccination_dogs_cats.php

It would seem pertinent for all active veterinary practitioners to be up on AVA policy and developments. The above page is now over two years old so this is nothing new.

edit to add - the WSAVA link on the above page doesn't work. Correct link is here: http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/files/Vaccination%20Guidelines%20for%20Cats%20and%20Dogs%202010.pdf

Edited by Alyosha

I have had a baby 2 1/2 yrs ago who was born with some medical issues. This is why I have not been 'up to date'. I have not been working full time and only just keeping in touch during this time.

A timely reminder to keep in touch with whats going on. Quite embarrassed that I have come across as being so out of the loop.

I have heard of triennial vaccinations, though the clinic here does not encourage this practice and is quiet proactive in promoting annual vaccines....I did not read Mixedupups post as she was using this method, my misunderstanding, sorry.

Don't fret SLF (and sorry to hear your bub has had problems). Not being up on this stuff is surprisingly common, even now it has been around for a couple of years. And I think you'll find many in the industry don't know.

Plus, like Mup says - annual checkups for vaccination are a regular income for vet clinics, as well as being a traditional reason to encourage owners to bring in dogs for general health checks like weight, teeth etc - offering vets the chance to be a bit proactive for other impending health issues.

I also wonder if vets are reluctant to suddenly change their policy and risk complaints from customers who have been paying for annual shots for years?

SLF, don't worry about it. I wasn't aware until a few months back. My dogs were overdue for their shots and I spoke to a vet friend of mine who works holistically and she told me what was going on. My other vet friends say that annual vaccines are fine. It's not common knowledge, so don't worry :)

As I said my dogs are regulars at the vet anyway and vets have a tendency to do a check up when really they're just saying "hi" :)

:D

plus I don't vaccinate every year

am I missing something ?

but why dont you vaccinate every year? especially if your working in a vet environment and fostering dogs, visiting farms etc....also if you dont do it every year then wouldnt the cost be minimal anyway?

I work in a Vet environment and with pound/rescue animals and I don't Vaccinate my own dogs annually, I give puppy vaccinations and the 15mo booster, titre test then no vaccinations. There is no need to vaccinate annually, even the AVA and the largest Vets schools in the USA have agreed with this.

Same.

We are also shopping around because our vet is $85 for the vaccine and $365 for a spay on large dogs which I was told is a lot higher than some of the vets that are not that far away from us. I havent vaccinated yearly in about 10 years or so I dont vaccinate my children anymore either thats a whole other subject though :laugh:

We are also shopping around because our vet is $85 for the vaccine and $365 for a spay on large dogs which I was told is a lot higher than some of the vets that are not that far away from us. I havent vaccinated yearly in about 10 years or so I dont vaccinate my children anymore either thats a whole other subject though :laugh:

I am always amused by the shopping around for cheaper vet prices. I go to my vet because he is a damn good vet and his care is excellent. I would not go to another vet simply because they can vaccinate my dog for $5 less or desex for less.

It is about the quality of the care not the cost of it.