Endurance Test 2013

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to do it, but it will probably clash with my girls litter :(

when is your girls litter due??

She's due in season around May... She will be bred when next in...

ok so if she is mated in May she will then be due in July, but if you are training her beforehand you could then throw her season off wack, that is what happend when we trained our Pappy bitch last year, she was due inseason in July, did her ET a couple of days before she was due. She ended up coming into season in Sept

My bitch us a bit all over the place season wise anyway. Over the winter she will be built up to peak condition regardless of the ET as she will be training in the field which is usually around 4 hours of hard running in a typical session at the peak of the season.

Abbiestar may I pinch these to circulate around our Collie group. We're trying to encourage people to have a go.

I wouldn't mind doing a Vic ET this year but first I need to learn who to ride a bike.... :laugh:

cool do you have a bike?? if not can you borrow one :)

depends on where you live I could help you

Abbiestar may I pinch these to circulate around our Collie group. We're trying to encourage people to have a go.

I wouldn't mind doing a Vic ET this year but first I need to learn who to ride a bike.... :laugh:

Absolutely! Please do. Glad to help.

I think the more interest we can generate in ET's. the better supported they will be and perhaps more clubs will take on the challenge of hosting one.

Bravo to Westernport ODC for doing just that this year!

Let me know if the Collie club want more info on what is involved.

If you go to my website and click on the "Endurance Test" link, the whole process is spelt out for you.

M

Oh... and about the bike..... best o get started soon. A 20 k ride for a beginner is daunting and may be a bit too much. Ease yourself into training.

The ET thread from 2012 has some great training tips.

M

Thanks Abbiestar, at the moment it's just a small group of us through FB trying to encourage more Collie people to have a go at dog sports, endurance is the obvious one as it doesn't "conflict" with showing. :D

Thanks Murve and Abbiestar at the moment I am just going to see how I go, my girl only turns two in may. So will see how we go. If not this year then next year. :thumbsup:

Hi All,

ET Dates that I know of:

Victoria:

HVCV May 25

Murray Valley 2 June

Dalmation Club ET 8 June

GSDCV 22 June

Westernport 29 June

Gippsland 6 July

QLD

Mackay 23 June

Tableland 7 July

Nanango/Ipswich 4 August

Nanango 25 August

WA

GSDA 22 June

GSDA 7 September

GSDA 8 September

ACT

ACTCA 7 July

NSW

Grafton 14 July

DogsNSW 11 August

SA

GSDCA 22 June

Lets all do our best to promote these events and ensure they are well supported.

M

Whoever started this thread should add these to the first post, so people don't have to scan the whole thread :)

SA has kindly scheduled their ET for the one weekend in June that I have not got racing on the calendar :laugh:

So how do you enter?

[

Whoever started this thread should add these to the first post, so people don't have to scan the whole thread :)

SA has kindly scheduled their ET for the one weekend in June that I have not got racing on the calendar :laugh:

So how do you enter?

Hi,

you can enter the SA test by getting in contact with the GSDCSA (German Shepherd Club of SA).

Contacts available through their website www.gsdcsa.org.au

I think the person running the test is Jenny DeLucia. [email protected]

M

The person to contact in SA is TRIALS MANAGER Mr Ian Cooke H: 08 8524 2185 M: 0418 832 722 the other email address is for the president.

As far as I'm aware the schedule hasn't been finalised yet, it's always advertised in the Dogs SA journal though. This is Ian's first year as the trial manager (he has loads of experience)so he may take some time to be able answer questions while he finalises all the details.

I think I can jump into this thread now! I've been keen to do the ET and now my dog is old enough and I bought a bike today! We just went for our first ride together (my first ride in a few years) and Im impressed how she took to it. She jerked on the lead a few times when I was going too slow (because she wanted to sniff the ground, she was cool with the bike) but she enjoyed it once we got going.

The 10kph will be hard for her I think, she wasn't even breaking into her show gait at that speed! We had to do 16kph so she wouldn't stop and sniff!

Anyone doing Grafton's ET? And are the entries published in the DogsNSW gazette?

Has anyone here done this with their dog running? I am hoping to get to being able to run the 20km as I don't have a bike at the moment, although might have to look into getting one. How long are the breaks between legs?

Hi E&H the breaks between legs are::: 8km's then 1st break-- 15min, 6km's then 2nd break 20min, 6km's then 3rd is the finish line :laugh:

The person to contact in SA is TRIALS MANAGER Mr Ian Cooke H: 08 8524 2185 M: 0418 832 722 the other email address is for the president.

As far as I'm aware the schedule hasn't been finalised yet, it's always advertised in the Dogs SA journal though. This is Ian's first year as the trial manager (he has loads of experience)so he may take some time to be able answer questions while he finalises all the details.

Thanks, I'll probably wait a while until it's published.

I assume I'll also have to join dogs SA, which is what put my off last year :o

Ok, going to have to really work on my running if I am going to be able to make it! Sounds like finding a cheap bike will be the best bet!

It's a really big commitment to running the ET. Apart from being supremely fit, you must be able to run the distance at a consistent 10-11k's per hour. There is no opportunity to slow up or stop as you must proceed in catalog order, and most tests put the runners up front and the cyclists behind. f you fall behind, it is difficult to catch up. You must finish the test within the prescribed time allowed or you will be disqualified.

A bike is by far the best bet for first time ET handlers. Doesn't have to be a $$$$ road bike, in fact that would be really unsuitable. A mountain or trail bike will be more suitable and don't get a really expensive one.

Good luck!

M

Just took Cleo for her second ride with me - nearly killed me when she stopped to sniff light poles!

At least by about 3-4kms she gets the idea of running beside the bike and not pulling me along! I love how I can see Cleo doing what Dalmatians are meant to do - run! She's got awesome stamina and endurance.

I have to say the new bike seat I bought today makes a WORLD of difference to the butt bones. Glad I work next to a bike shop! They even gave me a discount!

Elise+Hudson, I picked up my bike from Big W for $98 then I spent $40 on a better bike seat. It's quite a good little bike too =]